Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What do we know about P 38 Range rovers  (Read 3941 times)

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
What do we know about P 38 Range rovers
« on: 05 April 2013, 23:09:45 »

Been thinking of one these for a while. Will V8 on LPG or the 2.5 fat burner. Lots about I'm aware of the air suspension issues. 2.5 is apparently the BMW unit so guess it's the same as the Omega one. Any other issues? Is the fat burner a chain or cambelt?
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
Re: What do we know about P 38 Range rovers
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2013, 23:17:45 »

2.5 bmw unit is chain.

the 2.5 in an omega wouldnt have pulled you out of bed so, no idea what it would be like in a rangie.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2013, 23:21:43 »

the p 38 as a car is crap...as a garden feature brilliant...it will spend more time with you under the bonnet...they look good value for money but trust me they are useless..2.5 diesel is slow and drinks diesel it does 5 mpg more than a petrol v8...go for a good disco 1 or 2 td5 is the best
« Last Edit: 05 April 2013, 23:24:58 by the alarming man »
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2013, 23:23:30 »

2.5 bmw unit is chain.

the 2.5 in an omega wouldnt have pulled you out of bed so, no idea what it would be like in a rangie.

We've got one at work. It's hopeless. No performance, poor economy and unreliable.  Avoid.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2013, 23:32:21 »

I've had a couple of em, lovely cars to drive but can drain you of your hard earned cash quite easily. Fat burners are in my opinion very underpowered, a lot of car weight for only 134BHP.

Air suspension even though a pain when it goes wrong is a doddle to fix, and is just a case of plumbing. Things to look at there are the the suspension bags. If they are old they start to perish around the folds but are easy to replace. Height ride sensors can be expensive to replace if they go wrong.

BeCAM electrical faults are very common on early P38's and can render one useless if they start to go wrong & are very expensive to replace. Always check that all electrics work on test drive & that the central locking and immobiliser works without fault & that you have the EAK in the wallet.

Elderly P38's who's Air-con hasn't been looked after can also cause problems HEVAC unit with throw up loads of faults.

Mine was the 4.6v8 LPG converted and would only see at the most 23 mpg with a feather light right foot. That one went west when the head started to go, another common problem - overheating.

Those are just a few of the faults I encountered and I was able to rectify most of them myself. That said I absolutely loved them and would look at getting another one tomorrow if I didn't do starship mileage. Great on road presence, very comfortable, safe (had a rear end shunt in mine wrote the BMW off that hit me & the P38 had only a bent tow-bar) and versatile. Love em to bits

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2013, 23:34:03 »

I thought all the mechanicals were the same between the disco and P38. Alarming man are you actually speaking from experience? you were ahem just a little negative  ;D

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2013, 23:38:10 »

A good site I frequently used was this one - http://www.rangerovers.net/newrremedies.html

Great for problem solving, how to's & fixes. Will also show you what you (could) be letting yourself in for  ;) :D

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2013, 00:18:43 »

Cheers for that. Makes sense of things.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2013, 00:25:06 »

I thought all the mechanicals were the same between the disco and P38. Alarming man are you actually speaking from experience? you were ahem just a little negative  ;D

never owned one doz(i have all my own hair because if you owned one before long you will pull your hair out) but i have seen new p 38 leave a dealers before delivery and be shipped off to auto electrician because the dealer couldnt sort it this is'nt just one or two it was 5/6 a week at one point ...becm faults,air suspension faults,slipped liners on the V8,and head gaskets faults to name but a few problems,tbh for the price of a p 38 you can now pick up a nice disco 2 but beware of the dreaded tin worm...check for rust everywhere and once you have checked...go back and check again because it is not unheard of a disco 2 being a mot failure due to chassis rot,i brought a v8 disco 1 a little while ago and i like it (lot less electrics to go wrong) but if you are going to use it as an every day car LPG is best BUT then again LPG ing and older disco/rangie can cause problems as well...if i was thinking of buying another i would go for either a 300 tdi es dicso 1 or a td5 disco 2 :y

have a look here this is another good one

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/
« Last Edit: 06 April 2013, 00:27:10 by the alarming man »

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2013, 00:37:31 »

We've currently got a disco 1. It's had it's fair share of welding I can tell ya. It's alright just wanted something more up market. Oh and my current LPG kit has run out of cert. (over ten years for tanks) and is so shockingly bad. So it needs replacing problem is you can get a Rangy for around 3-4k with a 2 year old kit on it. So can't see me changing the current one. Disco's with LG are far less common than the rangy as well.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2013, 00:42:06 »

if i where spending £3000-4000 i would go for a disco 2....totally different to a disco 1......... :y

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2013, 08:20:08 »

i run a 4.6 vogue as my winter hack, approx 11.5 mpg on lpg around town :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2013, 08:33:09 »

If I was going for a Rnage Rover I would try and get a 4.2 LSE soft dash. They are one of the last Classic range rovers produced and has the air suspension. The good thing about them is they are going up in price because they are now becoming collectable :y
Retired

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2013, 09:14:10 »

Morning all,
I've had my 4.6HSE for well over 6 years and have spent less on it than I spent on my Elite estate in 2 years. The Range Rover has never let me down ( although I did have a problem with the boot opening a fewvweeks back whick I fixed) I changed the air springs a few years back as they were coming up to 10years old but his only cost £240 for parts and were easy to change. I've also had a new exhaust a few years ago which cost£150. mine has averaged 15mpg over the time I've had it.
The best site for landrover s is www.landyzone.co.uk     (If easily offended stay out- but as this forum- some very helpful guys).
Do I ever regret busting the Range Rover-No! - but I may have been lucky!

I do quite fancy the L322 shape but parts on these ARE EXPENSIVE. An air spring is £240 per corner.
If you need any help let me know.
Regrds

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2013, 09:17:51 »

Cheers Steve. I'm now trying to work out the finer details between the 4.0 and 4.6. Gems versus Bosch etc etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.