Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New here, but would like to ask some buying advice  (Read 3148 times)

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
New here, but would like to ask some buying advice
« on: 13 July 2012, 20:29:14 »

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy my second Omega. I had a 3.0 Elite Saloon 8 years ago and regretted selling it, but my job situation changed and I ended crawling up the M4 everyday costing a bomb in fuel.

At the moment I have a 1999 V6 Vectra CDX Estate. Nice car but it's hit 171,000 and although has a few miles left in it, it's getting tired and I want a change.

I want to stay with an estate and want to find an Elite 2000 onwards. Either 3.0 or 3.2 is fine.

I want something with all the toys and leather. I'm also a tightwad, so I want it for as little as possible! I'm hoping to spend up to £1400.

My plan is then to convert the car to LPG and keep it for a few years. I'm never going to be able to afford a newer 'posh' motor, so I'm aiming to buy what I consider the best I CAN afford and hang on to it for a while. I'm a competent amateur mechanic, with a brother as a professional mechanic so I'll be able to keep whatever I buy in good nick.

So, although I've been looking more at 3.2s which are slightly newer, a 2000 3.0 has come up which I went to see. It's a bit older than I envisaged at 12 years (only 1 year newer than my Veccy) but it's got a lower mileage than many of the newer cars I've seen advertised.

So, I'm hoping you can help me out. I checked it out last week and its a nice car, but needs some work to get it back up to standard. It had one lady owner and has 90k on the clock. It sat in an underground garage after she died (not in it  :D) before going to the current owner. It has all the right service stamps including a 'toothed belt change' at 80k.

When I looked at this car, I was ultra critical. I don't want to buy a dog. Bodywork was sound. Paint good except NSR door which was rusty at the bottom and has had a poor respray in the past. My dad however didn't notice that. Arches all good, tailgate good. Few dinks and scrapes, but to be honest it's a 12 year old car.

What concerned me more was leaking valve covers both sides, cracked screen, yellowed headlights, oily sump, rattle from exhaust on tickover (cat? although seemed to come from in front of rear axle. Straps clunking on both front doors, climate controls worn to white on the buttons, aircon not blowing cold, driver's heated seat not working, plastic on interior trim looked like there was a bit of wear, like the top layer was rubbing away (could have been dirt)

What I did like was the seats were all good, carpets ok, quite a clean car. It also has the cassette slot too, which suits me as I use an adapter for my ipod. It's also cheaper on tax then a post 2001 model.

It doesn't have satnav, rain sensor or reverse parking sensors like a newer model, but I can fit sensors. I have a tomtom and I've been driving for 20 years with intermittent wipe! Do I really need these?

The owner told me what he wanted for the car, which was 1k. I thought that fair, but after I checked it out it felt a bit much. Especially as there was a few bits to fix.

He called me today and said he would consider less. I have a figure of £800 in my head. I'm tempted. I can do all the work myself.

So, do I go for the older model, less toys but no major rust and a low mileage, or wait for a more newer expensive model with 110,000 on the clock, considering I want to do the LPG?

Whatever I get I'll probably need to budget for a new Cambelt and tensioner as I don't trust a stamp in a service book.Who knows if they did the tensioner too!

Apologies for the long post, I welcome your thoughts an comments.

Tim

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
Re: New here, but would like to ask some buying advice
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2012, 20:49:20 »

Hi and welcome :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2012, 20:50:35 »

Hello and welcome :y :y

You're right to want to do the cambelt when you get it :y

LPG is easy enough to DIY for under £800, although the recommended supplier is a bit like the Scarlett Pimpernel at the moment >:(

I looked for 2.5 years for my current car, but I had very specific requirements. Have you looked through the cars for sale section here?

As for what you should do... Only you can decide ;) But with your plans I would want to be sure that I paid a price I was happy with :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2012, 21:10:29 »

You have listed quite a few problems. The crack of doom on the doors(assuming not too far gone is fixable for pence with a kit (do a search on guides). Cam cover seals. £70 use VX only and clean the breathers (see guides) or you will be doing them again in short measure. Yellow headlights. New or off a breaker.Not worth trying to sand them up. Respray? Rattle on tickover - could be manifold gasket. Drivers seat heating . Leather seats? They (elements)go and are hard to repair again topic been covered on here. Air con? Might just need a regass. £50 . Screen? Insurance- pay excess.

As earlier poster said you will have to decide. First Omega we had we spent ages looking for the right one. We wanted cloth not leather for example. Paid a lot for a one owner Network Q car. Even then it turned out to have problems e.g. The engine managemnet light on dash had been removed to hide light on fault.

I would say it is a buyers market and have a look at a few before plumping for one. Maybe ask another member nearby to have a look at one you like. Two pairs of eyes and all that.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the search. :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2012, 22:19:13 »

Have a look at the For Sale section on here, most are well-sorted cars for realistic prices being sold by members who have a bit of know-how about the cars. They're an unknown quantity to many owners, and will therefore not be as well looked after as an OOFers' car IMO
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2012, 08:16:07 »

Yeah what he said ^^^ if im going to buy another it would be off here from someone who you know has done lots of servicing and generally kept the car in decent order  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2012, 10:37:41 »

If you are doing a DIY install of LPG, the 3.2 has more room around it to mount injectors etc, due to no EGR or ICV.

The engines like regular oil changes - I recommend every 3k to be honest. No need to use 'posh' oil. Though if your bro is a mechanic, I'm sure he can get you cheap oil.  GM's own semi synth is my preferred, at around £12 for 5l. This task alone should help the engine go well above 200,000 miles with not too much wear.

IMHO, rust is the killer for all Vauxhalls of this era. I suspect it will be rust that causes it to go to the scrapyard (assuming no accidents). Thats what you need to keep on top of.  I have no bodywork skills, and no contacts, so it is likely that will be the reason mine get scrapped.

The cam cover gaskets are a well known problem. Solution is to use GM gaskets only, and ensure whoever changes them uses a torque wrench. This is utterly critical. Utterly.

Given the low mileage, the cambelt interval is 40k or 4yrs, whichever is soonest. So although only 10k in, how long ago was it?

Price? Well, you pay what you think its worth ;)
Grumpy old man

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2012, 11:38:21 »

If you are doing a DIY install of LPG, the 3.2 has more room around it to mount injectors etc, due to no EGR or ICV.

The engines like regular oil changes - I recommend every 3k to be honest. No need to use 'posh' oil. Though if your bro is a mechanic, I'm sure he can get you cheap oil.  GM's own semi synth is my preferred, at around £12 for 5l. This task alone should help the engine go well above 200,000 miles with not too much wear.

IMHO, rust is the killer for all Vauxhalls of this era. I suspect it will be rust that causes it to go to the scrapyard (assuming no accidents). Thats what you need to keep on top of.  I have no bodywork skills, and no contacts, so it is likely that will be the reason mine get scrapped.

The cam cover gaskets are a well known problem. Solution is to use GM gaskets only, and ensure whoever changes them uses a torque wrench. This is utterly critical. Utterly.

Given the low mileage, the cambelt interval is 40k or 4yrs, whichever is soonest. So although only 10k in, how long ago was it?

Price? Well, you pay what you think its worth ;)

Yeah especially the wheel arrrrhches on the back and the ballseye rust balls on the doors , last time i chipped off the rust i filled a dustpan full of it  ::)

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2012, 11:42:48 »

I would also advise having a look in the for sale section on here.Particularily if your not averse to a CDX rather than an Elite. :y :D

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2012, 14:33:37 »

Thanks for the advice chaps. All duly noted.

@TheBoy, I think the belt was done 18 months ago. I'd agree, rust is a killer. My last Omega was starting to go and that was only 9 years old when I had it.

Anyway, bit of an update. I've bought the car.  :D

It didn't hit the reserve on ebay and he phoned me as I was the only watcher who went to view it. He wanted a grand for it initially, but he hinted he would let it go for less.

I had a think and told him if the wife liked it, I'd give him 700 quid for it. He said 850. I said I'd be willing to go to 800, but I'd come over and check it out again.

So I go over to have a look and the car looked better than I remembered. I gave it the once over again and knowing what I know now about how to fix a few of the issues, it didn't look so bad.

What I liked was the low mileage and more importantly NO RUST! Arches solid as a rock, doors too. I'd rather fix 'parts' than work on rust, because it always comes back.

The wife doesn't like Omegas, but she agreed that it was an ok car for the money, so I said to the guy, 'You're at 850, I'm at 800, let's call it 825'

And the deal was done.

I pick it up Wednesday evening.

I think I got it for a good price. Needs work. The paint needs a good clay bar and polish, interior a good clean, but it will scrub up nice. I'll post some pics up when I get a chance.

Spoke to a mate of my bro who used to do Vauxhalls and has done my cambelts in the past. He said he'd do the rocker cover gaskets for 60 quid +parts. Seems like a cracking price as it would take me all day.

Tim

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2012, 14:54:29 »

@TheBoy, I think the belt was done 18 months ago. I'd agree, rust is a killer. My last Omega was starting to go and that was only 9 years old when I had it.

It didn't hit the reserve on ebay and he phoned me as I was the only watcher who went to view it. He wanted a grand for it initially, but he hinted he would let it go for less.

I had a think and told him if the wife liked it, I'd give him 700 quid for it. He said 850. I said I'd be willing to go to 800, but I'd come over and check it out again.

So I go over to have a look and the car looked better than I remembered. I gave it the once over again and knowing what I know now about how to fix a few of the issues, it didn't look so bad.

What I liked was the low mileage and more importantly NO RUST! Arches solid as a rock, doors too. I'd rather fix 'parts' than work on rust, because it always comes back.

The wife doesn't like Omegas, but she agreed that it was an ok car for the money, so I said to the guy, 'You're at 850, I'm at 800, let's call it 825'

And the deal was done.

I think I got it for a good price. Needs work. The paint needs a good clay bar and polish, interior a good clean, but it will scrub up nice. I'll post some pics up when I get a chance.

Spoke to a mate of my bro who used to do Vauxhalls and has done my cambelts in the past. He said he'd do the rocker cover gaskets for 60 quid +parts. Seems like a cracking price as it would take me all day.

Tim

Clean the breathers first or you will be doing the rocker cover gaskets again in short time.

Well done with your purchase. Happy motoring :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kendo1690

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 52 3.2 Elite,08 Zafira150
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2012, 15:56:07 »

Hello and welcome to OOF  :y,the advise before my post is all spot on,the members on the forum are all extremely knowledgable people so it really is worth heeding it,as for which car to buy,like someone said buying of a forum member is an excellent idea.I was really lucky 4 weeks ago I purchased a 52 plate 3.2 elite off a member,it's an absolute monster,all the toys,service history and stacks and stacks of paperwork,I'm over the moon with it,and I only gave £1100 for it,so keep a sharp eye out in the for sale section you should come up trumps. :y :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2012, 18:27:42 »

And the deal was done.

Tim

Mines 15 yr old so must be doing well ...in need of treatment just now or folded into a cube  ::) ;D :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2012, 19:00:05 »

Well done on the purchase. I would personally save yourself sixty notes and do the cam cover gaskets yourself. Or give the oof guide to your mechanic brother. Its really a piece of urine :-) no rust is great. As said definitely do them breathers and very frequent oil changes. Mines just hit 93000 and as Daz said shes just a baby so hopefully youve picked a good un :-)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2012, 15:46:25 »

Thanks Webby, they are really that easy?

I must admit I'm tempted to do it myself. I've looked at the guide and I'm fairly confident I can do it.

At least doing it myself I know it's been cleaned out properly.

I'm just doing the Rocker box gaskets on my 'other' car too, a 1980 Trans Am, and I'm doing that with no damn instructions!

I spent all day saturday cleaning the interior of the miggy, was filthy. Think the previous owner was a smoker (which might explain why she died) :o

Roof lining now light grey not dark grey! All scrubbed up well.

Just need to compound polish the paint, fix up the outside and get the cambelt and oil leaks done.

Will put some 'Before' pics on when I get a chance.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.