Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a Polo (No I didn't want the job, but looks like I'm mending her VW!)  (Read 1407 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

Just to expand on the title... I am after a gearbox.

I have been volunteered to mend my girlfriend's Polo. The gearbox is knackered, needs another one. It's a 1996 1.9D. Apparently the diesels have a beefier 'box, which I can believe, but although I really don't do bodge jobs etc I would't be averse to fitting a weaker box, as its then going to be re-sold immediately after I've fitted it before anything else breaks 8)

Any help/advice/gearbox is, as ever, greatly appreciated omegalovers. And apologies for bringing vw onto this forum.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile

having done a 6N1 twin cam petrol i can tell you that theres many choices of gearbox!!  thatll fit but remember that polos suffer gearboxes ALOT!! so there probo all as expensive!! its an easy job to do with a ramp tbh

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile

pretty easy job to do on the floor as well, although you do need to be able to jack it up high enough to get under it to throw the old g.box out and lift the new one in, :y

feeutfo

I have been volunteered to mend my girlfriend's Polo. The gearbox is knackered, needs another one. It's a 1996 1.9D. Apparently the diesels have a beefier 'box, which I can believe, but although I really don't do bodge jobs etc I would't be averse to fitting a weaker box, as its then going to be re-sold immediately after I've fitted it before anything else breaks 8)

Any help/advice/gearbox is, as ever, greatly appreciated omegalovers. And apologies for bringing vw onto this forum.
surely if acquiring a box, may as well be the correct one, if at all possible...?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

surely if acquiring a box, may as well be the correct one, if at all possible...?

It would certainly pay to get the correct code gearbox,I had a customer buy a box for his polo,same year and engine but box was different in the linkage area :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

Hi thanks for all responses so far.

As for locating the exact right 'box, of course I do want the right one, ideally. I work in a shop that sells some antique and second hand jewellery and so many people ask if we've got 'that one but in a different size', and I have to politely explain to them that it doesn't quite work like that.  ;)

It mostly just frustrates me that I've seen people selling very cheaply AR35s on here, so shelling out more than say 40-50quid on a pants little polo box seems just plain expensive to me.

I'm in North East Lincs, so if anyone can suggest or offer anywhere that might be able to supply a 'box for less that the price of a human kidney, that'd be fantastic. I don't mind travelling, but i really do have to factor in fuel to get the item, so the farther i go, the cheaper it has to be.

Ta, in advance.

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

and thanks also to henryd, as most advice so far from other people (garages / scrapyard peoples etc) seems to suggest that any box would 'fit' of not ideal. So worth knowing that there are different linkages to be wary of.

I_want_an_Omega

Just goes to show how good a quality GM gearboxes are when you hear of a "reputed" quality brand such a VW having probs with the box of a very small car. Something that you just dont hear of with Novas/Corsas/Astras .....

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

amen to that.

Honestly, I cannot see where the 'quality' is with alleged reliable cars like Toyota, VW, etc... And then people slate Luton/Russelsheim products. Or maybe people are just copying what Jeremy Clarkson says   ::) ::) ::)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile

What is the fault?

I have seen many references to the crown wheel on the differential being held on by rivets. If the rivets come loose then there is a clunk every time drive is engaged.

If the clunk is ignored then the rivets eventually let go and the crown wheel is free to chew a hole in the differential housing.

VW sell bolts to replace the rivets, the differential housing takes a bit more fixing ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.