Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Original battery or replacement battery?  (Read 4121 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Original battery or replacement battery?
« Reply #30 on: 21 June 2015, 19:56:40 »

Chris, you will NEVER notice the difference - save your pennies!

Ron.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 June 2015, 20:02:40 »

Ron.

:y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #32 on: 21 June 2015, 20:09:31 »

Ron.

And drive it 450 miles everyday, that way your battery will last for years... :y

But then again...how much fuel a 3.2 will use....you could buy a new battery every day  ;D ;D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2015, 20:51:21 »

Ron.

And drive it 450 miles everyday, that way your battery will last for years... :y

But then again...how much fuel a 3.2 will use....you could buy a new battery every day  ;D ;D

Aye?

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 June 2015, 22:27:23 »

Major Opti - The Bosch battery will be better than what was supplied from the factory

I am still on my original GM battery in my MIG !!!!! (I have had the car from new, so I know its original and she is 15 years old :) and going strong ! )

Interesting to see how long a Bosch one would last me then when it's time to change my "Less better" GM battery   ;)!!!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 June 2015, 10:21:31 »

It's happened again. A post comes up on a subject just as I'm thinking of it. Oof is telepathic at times :y

If Dr doesn't mind, can I ask, what sets the criteria for battery type? Amp hours and all the other numbers printed on the top..?

Mine has a 70 ah fitted. Will that cover all eventualities like short journeys and long stay car parks at the airport etc?

Is there better available? Within the dimensions of that battery box of course as a bigger one won't fit.
"Better" needs more clarification. Capacity is only part of the story. Include in what sort of cranking power you need, likely temperatures, how much internal discharge, as well as external discharge, you can tolerate, and so on.

Car batteries, like many other battery technologies, do not like being left in a partially discharged state. So if you regularly go away for 2 weeks, expect a short life from it. A car that gets a decent run every few days will likely keep the battery lasting longer, assuming everything else is tip-top.

Obviously, if car is left for long periods, it may be prudent to disconnect it to reduce discharge.

Better ? .... More amp hours? Can you have too many? Can you have too little? GM tc supply 70ah as fitted to mine. Can this be Improved on by simpy fitting a higher ah battery?

I have no idea what amp hours do, along with the othe r 4 numbers printed on the top. It's just what GM say is suitable for my car. I dunno. Is it suitable because that's what they happen to have to sell me? Or is that the exact spec the car needs? If so why? If not what SHOULD be fitted!

Mine says;
GM
12 01 212 (presume a part number? )
12v
70ah
255 coca din
510 eca en

It cost about £45 on tc. There is a Bosch 72 ah, is same size 275 mm long, but is almost twice the price. If I did slot of short journeys would this battery help? For example...?
Given your (nearly) daily commute, the UK temps being moderate, I'd stick with TC ones. Even if they don't last as long (and in my experience, they last well), at that cost, they are almost disposable.

And I put my money where my mouth is, as the Bullet had a TC one shoved in probably 6 or 7 years ago (the day I ripped the sump plug out of the tractor - as I was on way back from dealer after buying battery) to replace its original one. I think TBE is still on its original (as was the Rover when it was written off), and would likely get a TC one if it failed.

But even the best car batt will suffer permanent damage every time its left for long periods in a semi discharged state (ie, left unused and abandoned at the airport for a couple of weeks at a time).
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 June 2015, 11:05:07 »

Major Opti - The Bosch battery will be better than what was supplied from the factory

I am still on my original GM battery in my MIG !!!!! (I have had the car from new, so I know its original and she is 15 years old :) and going strong ! )

Interesting to see how long a Bosch one would last me then when it's time to change my "Less better" GM battery   ;)!!!!

Original GM batteries were made by Bosch!

In recent years they have moved over to Varta but there still pretty good

As for battery choice, remember to get a calcium one as the alternator charge voltage has been designed around this tech so peaks slightly higher than a normal lead acid......

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 June 2015, 12:50:42 »

Thank you gents.

Confirms my thinking. Go batteries aside imo, gym batteries are fine for the money and a three year warranty.

Yuasa, Bosch and Varta all very good makes. But all are almost twice the price of a Gm battery on tc. In my case, £41.12 plus vat :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 June 2015, 13:01:15 »

And the GM battery will most likely be a Varta anyway

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 June 2015, 14:24:16 »

Thank you gents.

Confirms my thinking. Go batteries aside imo, gym batteries are fine for the money and a three year warranty.

Yuasa, Bosch and Varta all very good makes. But all are almost twice the price of a Gm battery on tc. In my case, £41.12 plus vat :)

Presuming these are very fit batteries :D :D ;)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 June 2015, 17:37:41 »

Thankyou. I will pm this off to the member concerned along :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.