Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double DIN removal tools  (Read 5338 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Double DIN removal tools
« on: 13 January 2014, 17:10:27 »

Numerous sob stories on the forum about the difficulty in removing the double DIN units, mostly seem to involve poor quality removal tools, as I'm going to need some in the near (?) future are there any that should be particularly avoided, or even better, any that are particularly good ???

Interweb just gives a few hundred possibilities, with no indication of quality or ability to actually do the job !!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Double DIN removal tools
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2014, 18:14:17 »

I've had reasonable success with the ones from Halfrauds, the trick is to 'wiggle' the unit I found, rather than out right strength.

Some just fly out, but a lot are real gits. 

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2014, 18:58:09 »

Some time ago I wanted to take mine out and simply used four skinny screwdrivers, braced inwards vertically, and pulled carefully. However, although this released it, I could not get the unit out completely and tried to shove it back in; it wouldn't go back fully! I've left it part-way sticking out - any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Ron.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2014, 21:13:46 »

Some time ago I wanted to take mine out and simply used four skinny screwdrivers, braced inwards vertically, and pulled carefully. However, although this released it, I could not get the unit out completely and tried to shove it back in; it wouldn't go back fully! I've left it part-way sticking out - any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Ron.
You've bent summat :'(

Should have held the screwdrivers apart, so left hand handles to the left, right hand to the right...
That way you're compressing the spring tabs rather than bending the cage out, or not. :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2014, 21:57:16 »

Nigel, I bought a set of the cheapo ones and then used a small file on the pins to create a nice 90 degree angle on them.  Pretty sure this is explained on one of the how 2's on here.

I must have used them more then 50 times on Omega head units now, and they have never failed me yet.

As already said, there is a knack to it. It's a case of making sure the pins are engaged and the spring tabs released before gentle pulling the unit out.  Brute force alone won't do it.

Some can be pretty tight, but in my experience these seem to be the CCR2006's rather than the NCDC's.  Whatever you do, don't apply any force at all the the fascia panel.  The clips are plastic and tiny, and break very easily.  Once broken, they are a pig to repair
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2014, 22:18:24 »

Thanks, Taxi Al, I'm sure you are right, but I can get the unit about 3/4 of the way out - would what you say still apply? And why won't it go back fully - same reason?

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2014, 22:20:13 »

many thanks all ..cheapo set and attack with the skinny file it is then .. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2014, 22:39:09 »

Thanks, Taxi Al, I'm sure you are right, but I can get the unit about 3/4 of the way out - would what you say still apply? And why won't it go back fully - same reason?

Ron.
3/4 out should be enough to see what is going on :-\ do you remove the screwdrivers once you've got it about an inch out?

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2014, 10:58:25 »

If you remove the ash tray and buttons surrounding the stereo, you can undo the screws holding the centre console in place. Do this and remove the whole section forward allowing you to access the pins either side of the stereo.

I know, because I couldn't get my stereo unit out either :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2014, 11:05:41 »

Yes, nothing special about the tools, they are just a very tight fit inside the cage, IME.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2014, 11:22:39 »

Glad to know that I'm not alone! I think when I summon up the courage I'll try taking the whole front off, as Blackviper suggested.
It all started after disconnecting the battery. Then I wanted to find the serial number to get the radio code from a site on Ebay, because the scaly-back who sold the car to me didn't supply the code - and it isn't in the documentation.

Ron.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2014, 12:24:56 »

Glad to know that I'm not alone! I think when I summon up the courage I'll try taking the whole front off, as Blackviper suggested.
It all started after disconnecting the battery. Then I wanted to find the serial number to get the radio code from a site on Ebay, because the scaly-back who sold the car to me didn't supply the code - and it isn't in the documentation.

Ron.
If it`s a CDR2005 or a CCR2006 you cannot get the code generated online from the serial number, needs to be "on the bench"
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2014, 15:31:07 »

Oh bugger - it's a CCR2006!
My pension won't stretch to any luxuries like having the radio back working, so I'll have to live without it......

Ron.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2014, 15:46:30 »

If you can remove it you may be lucky and find a previous owner has written the code on the unit

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2014, 15:55:32 »

I doubt it; the previous owner was an unhelpful a**e!
I tried again today; got it back to 3/4 out but no further - the metal casing came with it - is that normal(?) - and now it won't go back in as much as before, i.e. about 2 inches sticking out.

Ron.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2014, 15:59:54 »

I tried again today; got it back to 3/4 out but no further - the metal casing came with it - is that normal(?) - and now it won't go back in as much as before, i.e. about 2 inches sticking out.

Ron.
No. Sounds like the screw retaining the metal cage has been removed and you`re pulling that with the radio. You need to ensure that the double din keys are actually depressing the tangs. The reason it`s "sticking out" is because the cage has moved forward and the wires at the rear of the multi-plug attached to the cage are fouling

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2014, 16:08:25 »

You have shone a light into my darkness! What you say makes perfect sense; I wasn't sure whether the metalwork should be coming out with it or not - obviously not.
Perhaps I should have bought a proper release tool instead of trying screwdrivers.
Thanks, Rob.

Ron.

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2014, 16:10:15 »

If you can get the cage to come forward enough, you'll see the pins holding the stereo. Depress them and bobs your uncle.

As RobG just said, as its all moved forward the plugs and wiring are stopping it going back. There is hardly any space back there!!  :(
AKA - Mr Bracket

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2014, 16:11:47 »

You have shone a light into my darkness! What you say makes perfect sense; I wasn't sure whether the metalwork should be coming out with it or not - obviously not.
Perhaps I should have bought a proper release tool instead of trying screwdrivers.
Thanks, Rob.

Ron.
;D ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2014, 16:20:19 »

Rob, you expressed my feelings in a nutshell! I've got quite a large club hammer I can use if Blackviper's suggestion doesn't work.........

Ron.

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2014, 18:00:39 »

Ron, if you ever have reason to travel up my way, give me shout. I'll get it out for you  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2014, 18:32:58 »

Ron.

Sounds like you are trying to pull the cage out with the unit .. the cage "should" remain in place and the unit just comes out .... that's the theory and has worked on all other cars .. but I've yet to try on this one .....

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2014, 23:49:17 »

Nigel, I bought a set of the cheapo ones and then used a small file on the pins to create a nice 90 degree angle on them.  Pretty sure this is explained on one of the how 2's on here.

I must have used them more then 50 times on Omega head units now, and they have never failed me yet.

As already said, there is a knack to it. It's a case of making sure the pins are engaged and the spring tabs released before gentle pulling the unit out.  Brute force alone won't do it.

Some can be pretty tight, but in my experience these seem to be the CCR2006's rather than the NCDC's.  Whatever you do, don't apply any force at all the the fascia panel.  The clips are plastic and tiny, and break very easily.  Once broken, they are a pig to repair

Like this -

HTH :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2014, 15:26:17 »

Well gents, despite your great advice, I've got nowhere! Still only 3/4 out and no obvious way to release it. If it works, I have pictures - blurry, because my simple camera doesn't like close-focus!
Now what am I doing wrong? I can't find a way to attach photos........

Ron.

chrisgixer

« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2014, 22:53:05 »

The tools seem to make little odds ime. I've had better luck with a small bobble ended Allen key than the removal tools.

I have a spring puller, the type supplied by motorcycle exhaust manufacturers, that does an excellent job of pulling the unit out, by its CHASSIS rail that's visible at the bottom of the cd cartridge slot on the ncdc units.
Pulling on the removal tools/facia/cd carriage is will not help if the unit even remotely sticks, which they often do on the numerous slots cut into the cage.

In short, put what ever removal tool gently in place, and don't touch them again.
Then use a tool like a spring puller on said chassis rail, and that alone. Do not pull on anything else. Although jiggling is often required.

Not sure if other units have the same chassis rail visible. :-\

Ps, a bent coat hanger doesn't cut it, sadly. But you might be lucky. :)

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • Jaguar. WTF have I done?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 January 2014, 21:38:59 »

Maybe a job for the next meet near you!

The CC is a complete bar-steward - or mine was. It is VERY tight in the cage but with a little wriggling it does finally come free!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes (Oscar Wilde)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.