Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting Telematics unit in boot  (Read 2884 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Fitting Telematics unit in boot
« on: 21 September 2008, 21:55:58 »

Any problems, I'm guessing particularly with cable run for mic - would length be an issue?
Grumpy old man

iainb

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Telematics unit in boot
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2008, 23:24:25 »

I wouldnt bother go blue tooth instead.
 ALDI have a special offer head unit for £49.99

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2008, 23:48:44 »

Any problems, I'm guessing particularly with cable run for mic - would length be an issue?

Use a good quality shielded Co-axial cable, and try to use a long single piece cable instead of joining two shorter bits to prevent any stray interference. Solder at rear of mic and at plug end if you understand what I mean.

Can`t see why you couldn`t use a 5m length of RCA lead for the Mic?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2008, 08:06:26 »

I already have a Nokia CK-7W bluetooth handfree carkit in the car as well.

Ideally, I would like to fit the telematics unit in addition, based on:

1) Better integration, and ability to control calls without taking hands off wheel.
2) Bluetooth sucks. The standard is a bit undefined when it comes to handsfree.
3) Making or receiving calls via bluetooth absolutely mullers the battery on the phone.
4) Better signal - cellphones inside a metal tin ain't gonna get the best reception!
« Last Edit: 22 September 2008, 08:12:24 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2008, 08:11:39 »

Use a good quality shielded Co-axial cable, and try to use a long single piece cable instead of joining two shorter bits to prevent any stray interference. Solder at rear of mic and at plug end if you understand what I mean.

Thanks.

The Mic is in the courtesy light, so can coax from the plug on there all the way to the telematics plug.  Sadly, at telematics plug end, I may have to join, as its a large 32pin plug, and not any standard jack.  Would that be OK?

Also, cellular aerial, should I unpick from loom and pull it back to boot, or simply extend it (easier).  The plug on it does not match the back of telematics, so would need some kind of adapter.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2008, 08:34:43 »

Most of the major manufacturers are struggling to crack a reliable bluetooth kit - so do you really think that Aldi are going to manage on a system costing less than £50 ?  Wow, is that unit going to be problematic !!

::)
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2008, 08:37:57 »

Most of the major manufacturers are struggling to crack a reliable bluetooth kit - so do you really think that Aldi are going to manage on a system costing less than £50 ?  Wow, is that unit going to be problematic !!

::)

Nokia CK-7W works well with Nokia mobiles certified for use with Nokia CK-7W mobile phones :y.  Piss poor with any other phone though, including other Nokias  >:(
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2008, 08:39:16 »

The Mic is in the courtesy light, so can coax from the plug on there all the way to the telematics plug.  Sadly, at telematics plug end, I may have to join, as its a large 32pin plug, and not any standard jack.  Would that be OK?

Also, cellular aerial, should I unpick from loom and pull it back to boot, or simply extend it (easier).  The plug on it does not match the back of telematics, so would need some kind of adapter.

The fewer joints you have the better. Not so bad joining a standard cable, but where coax is concerned, the joint is usually made outside the screaned sheath, and thats where problems can occur. If an adaptor is unavailable (as makes a better joint that most of us can make) then we would be a bit clever when making our joints to ensure that the centre core is joined and insulated and then wrap some screening around the outside again, ensuring that your new joint is now effectively inside a new bit of coax.

A bit overkill, but will eliminate stray interference a little more.

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2008, 08:41:11 »

Thanks.

Should be fine, seem to recall as the MIC is a 3 wire job, supply + 0V + Signal. The Mic is certainly a basic electret job so has an inbuilt mini FET amp and hence the signal is not as small as you would think.

Just use reasonable quality well shielded coax for the 0V and signal and only connectthe 0V to chassis at one end to avoid ground loops.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2008, 08:54:10 »

Thanks.

Should be fine, seem to recall as the MIC is a 3 wire job, supply + 0V + Signal. The Mic is certainly a basic electret job so has an inbuilt mini FET amp and hence the signal is not as small as you would think.

Just use reasonable quality well shielded coax for the 0V and signal and only connectthe 0V to chassis at one end to avoid ground loops.
Hmmmm, wonder if thats my the ccrt700, people always said I sounded faint...  ...the wiring diag I used (from Astra iirc) only had 2 wires to Mic ::)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2008, 08:55:42 »

Thinking about it, my courtesy light can with a long length of wire already attached, fairly certain it was just 2 wires, not coax
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2008, 09:22:23 »

Interesting, wonder if they are using a phantom feed for it.....I know when I looked at the MIC assembly it used a 3 pin electret

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2008, 11:01:09 »

Interesting, wonder if they are using a phantom feed for it.....I know when I looked at the MIC assembly it used a 3 pin electret
At head unit end, I am only running 2 wires - MIC+ and MIC-

But you know what my memory is like, I'll investigate at lunchtime...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2008, 00:52:51 »

i would be most interested in the guide when done tb. Where you siteing it? In the old cd changer cuby hole?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2008, 15:30:35 »

The bose amp is going in the cubby hole on mine where the cd changer would be.....to give max room in the boot!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.