Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removal of the automatic lights thingie  (Read 3961 times)

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
Removal of the automatic lights thingie
« on: 27 July 2008, 19:39:43 »

Hi guys,
would anyone be so kind and tell me if there's a way to remove the system that turns on the lights automatically? I mean like removing some relay or anything?

Thanks in advance,
Joh from Estonia ;)
Opel Omega B 2.0 ECOTEC 100KW (1996)

Bandit127

Re: Removal of the automatic lights thingie
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2008, 19:50:00 »

I don't know what the answer is, but I suspect it's got 'Tech 2' in it.

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2008, 19:56:24 »

I don't know what the answer is, but I suspect it's got 'Tech 2' in it.
What does that mean, mate?

-edit-
Alright, it seems it's somekind of a tool of diagnostics. Can you reprogram your car's "brain" (the right word doesn't come to my mind at the moment as English isn't my native language)? I'm still hoping I could do that just by removing somekind of a relay or a fuse or something like that :P Or by cutting some wire or something..
« Last Edit: 27 July 2008, 20:05:16 by joh »

Bandit127

« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2008, 20:20:42 »

It seems that most of the options (like daytime running lights) have been programmed from the CPU on this car. Tech 2 is the system used to reprogramme these options. Tech 2 costs at least £40 (€50) to get it out of its box in this country.

I do not know the answer to your problem, sorry. I hope that it is as easy as removing a relay, like it is for older cars. Maybe someone who does know will be along soon.

Your English is great by the way.  :)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2008, 20:50:50 »

Which lights do you mean?

I dont know of any Omega that turns its headlights on automatically....... :-/

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2008, 21:00:49 »

Do you mean the sidelights while ignition is on??

There is a fuse in the fusebox specifically for it. I think its Fuse 8...
Humbugs...

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2008, 00:11:45 »

Your English is great by the way.  :)
First I gotta say thanks :P

But now I'm really confused.. You people are saying that when you start drivin' you have to do something so that the lights would be on? I don't! When I start my engine - lights are on.

Do you guys have to turn the round button (or whatever) to turn on any kind of lights (again I'm not sure how they are called in English.. I mean the regular lights you use when you drive in regular conditions)? As I don't have to change anything. When I leave the button (?) or switch (?) in the same state they are in the shown picture (did you click on the link already :P?), the lights are on. And I just installed xenon lights to my Omega and I have heard that turning on your xenons too often is the only factor that causes your lights to wear off.. (damn, that sentence doesn't look like proper English at all :P).. anyway so I thought that when I'm driving at the nighttime, I first turn on the engine (and the lights also turn on), then I turn the switch shown on the picture, so that I could see what my speed-o-meter and tachnometer (again I don't know how should I call the whole thing together... clocks? the speed-o-meter block? whatever, right) are showing... when the switch is sat on 0-state, only the headlights and parking lights are working.. when I turn it to the IIIrd position, all the lights inside the car also start to glow (positive factor at night :P).. soo..... I start the engine, xenons are on, I turn the switch - xenons fade/die/what_the_opps_ever for a sec and then they turn on again (and that's supposed to kill them in the longer perspective)... so if I could somehow turn of the automatic thing, I would save my xenons.. Lol that was some long text, I have drank couple of beers tonight also so that wasn't so easy to compie all that text :P Anyway, I hope I made clear all my thoughts.. And really, no Omega has automatic headlights? Damn, then it should be as easy as removing someone's personal modification or what?

Anyway,
Thanks in advance, all of you ;)
Joh

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2008, 06:28:34 »

When our light switch is in the position as shown in your link, we have no lights on at all, anywhere. When we turn the switch to the middle position, we get side lights ie the small 5 Watt lamps inside the inner main beam reflector. Turned fully to the right lights up our outer dipped beam & obviously the indictor stalk switches between just dipped or main beam too.
Pulling the switch, will turn on our front interior courtesy light.

The whole speedometer & tachomter ..... Yes, clocks is OK If you wanted to be really posh you could call it a binacle  ;)

Turning your xenons on & off too many times might wear them out.  ;)

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2008, 09:45:28 »

Ha, thanks for the English tips ;) Anyway, I tried to get help from an Estonian Omega forum also and it seems that everyone in Estonia also have automatic lights. I guess you people live in GB, right? Then I just think that Omegas that have been released under the Vauxhall trademark might be a little different (not to mention your steering wheel is on the right side :P).. I even almost got the answer to my question, the relay should be somewhere under some plastic near the passanger's seat. And I suppose there might be a chance for you to turn that function ON by connecting something to something in there :P though I dunno if that's what anyone wants.. Anyway, thanks for being so helpful and all..

Cheers ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2008, 09:57:09 »

Ha, thanks for the English tips ;)  ......

It doesn't appear that you need many tips on the English language. Your English  is very good.  :y  :y  :y
We tend to be very lazy over here. The rest of the world learns English from a very young age so we often don't bother to learn another language.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2008, 09:58:10 »

Your car possibly supplied for Swedish market - running lights on with ignition is legal requirement there.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2008, 11:44:59 »

Its normally a case of pulling out K59 which is the daylight running relay

MV6Man

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2008, 13:24:34 »

If you remove fuse 8, it should disable that.

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2008, 16:33:40 »

Your car possibly supplied for Swedish market - running lights on with ignition is legal requirement there.
The first owner of my car was a leasing company in Estonia. Maybe my car is just from the same patch that was meant for Swedish market.. But I'm trying to find out, how large part of Estonian Omegaowners have that function included.. I'll let you know :)

If you remove fuse 8, it should disable that.
Yeap, but would removing that fuse allow my side lights to work when the lights switch is in position II and III?

Anyway, all in all.. I think it's either the K59 relay or the 8th fuse. Therefore I think my problem is solved now and I gotta thank you all for your help. I registered here because of that problem but I'm not going to leave anymore, hehe :) I like it here!

We tend to be very lazy over here. The rest of the world learns English from a very young age so we often don't bother to learn another language.
Yeap, that's how it tends to be with larger nations. If I pick a random direction and drive 300km from my current location, I can be 99% sure noone would understand Estonian there ;) And I can be quite happy that I have had the chance to learn many different languages, including English, Swedish, Russian, German and even Latin ;) I'm not saying I can communicate in all of 'em, but atleast I can analyze different languages thanks to what I know, and of course to some point I can communicate with people in their native language, which people do respect, according to my experience ;)

Alright, have a great week ;)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2008, 16:35:28 by joh »

MV6Man

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2008, 18:22:16 »

If you remove that fuse 8, it should just cut  power to that relay, everything else should work correctly.

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2008, 21:08:09 »

Lol, that should be called "an easy task made easier" :)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2008, 21:09:34 by joh »

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2009, 22:32:31 »

Hey blokes, where's this K59 relay located? Can't find any info from the internet :D Only about Omega As, I have B year '96.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2009, 09:39:04 »

Joh.... Your English is superb... Much better than my Estonian ;) ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2009, 00:32:56 »

Out of interest, can I therefore add this relay to get my lights to come on with the ignition? Out of preference I drive everywhere with dipped beam, having them come on automatically would be nice

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2009, 10:01:47 »

Out of interest, can I therefore add this relay to get my lights to come on with the ignition? Out of preference I drive everywhere with dipped beam, having them come on automatically would be nice
But not for motorcyclists who tend to die around cars with headlamps on in the daytime. ;)
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2009, 13:09:25 »

But not for motorcyclists who tend to die around cars with headlamps on in the daytime. ;)

I use my lights all the time as it seems to make other drivers pay a little more attention. I have found it increases the amount of thought some others give to pulling out of t junctions, or changing lane in front of me.

I wasn't aware motorcyclists tended to die around cars using their dipped beam in the day? My sister is a frequent motorcylcist, and she prefers to use her lights when driving her car in the day. My dad is also a seasoned biker and a member of AIM through his advanced bike test, and he's not aware of problems caused by this, or has any problem himself with cars that do this.

If there is a good reason why it might cause danger to bikers though I would gladly change my habit!  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2009, 15:55:12 »

I use my lights all the time as it seems to make other drivers pay a little more attention. I have found it increases the amount of thought some others give to pulling out of t junctions, or changing lane in front of me.

I wasn't aware motorcyclists tended to die around cars using their dipped beam in the day? My sister is a frequent motorcylcist, and she prefers to use her lights when driving her car in the day. My dad is also a seasoned biker and a member of AIM through his advanced bike test, and he's not aware of problems caused by this, or has any problem himself with cars that do this.

If there is a good reason why it might cause danger to bikers though I would gladly change my habit!  :y

I must confess, that I too am a keen biker of many years, and I have never experienced an accident due to headlights being on -

If anything, those that are cautious enough to even consider putting lights on, tend to be the ones who are constantly on the lookout for hazards and possibly make for better drivers?

Wow - are you going to open up a can of worms with this one !!!

:P
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2009, 16:29:54 »

I'm not after any can-o-worms action, I just want a K59 if it's not going to kill anyone!

Anyone got any info for it?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2009, 22:54:19 »

I think what was trying to be said re bike with lights was ..... bikers tend to ride with lights on whether it's day or night, so they stand out a little from the rest of the crowd. If everybody drove with lights on ....... bikers would just be a nother vehicle on te road with ligfhts on and would no longer stand out in any way.

Digressing slightly .......  ::)
I wish drivers would put their lights on on first thing in the morning, they presumably can see where they're going so don't think that they need their lights on to be seen! :-? Numpties!!!  ;)

oceansoul

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunbury on Thames - Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2009, 17:06:06 »

iirc; Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Russian, Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian cars all do the same, Lights on with Engine :p

I too would like to know about this K59 though :D
« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 17:12:16 by oceansoul »

Joh

• Estonia
  • Passive
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 July 2009, 09:51:19 »

Heh, as headlights are obligatory in Estonia 24/7, I'm just too used to expect everyone to use their headlights, whenever, wherever. That, however, has caused many dangerous situations, as your eyes, being so used to search for other lights, often don't registrate vehicles with no lights - you just can't see them. Fortunately, I haven't had any accidents due to that, but I have come close. For example, when going into a roundabout or just some intersection where you have to give way. You look, you see no lights, your perception registrates them as backround and off you go. That is way evil. Sometimes I wish they weren't obligatory, so there couldn't be such situations. But on the other hand, I think it's much better to notice other drivers when THEY DO use their headlights all the time.

And I still haven't found my K59 relay. Haven't really searched either, though :D
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 09:53:28 by joh »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.