Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater died  (Read 2408 times)

FoxyV6

Heater died
« on: 16 November 2010, 12:51:08 »

wonder if anyone can help, i turned the heater  on in the Omega this morning and nothing happened, all i could hear was a faint whirring and clicking noise, like it was trying to work but couldnt. Anyone got any idea what it might be?? also if anyones willing to fix it in the Northwest area id gladly pay them rather than garage prices. Im not very technical im afraid but i cant be without a heater in this weather, plus the windscreen wont demist arghhh.

BigJohn309

• grantham , lincolnshire
  • new omega owner
    • View Profile
Re: Heater died
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2010, 13:28:02 »

it seems to be a common problem on the bigger v6 cars mate , im having heating problems of my own . i seem to be having only luke warm air even on the highest of setting . Is yours the manual or electronic heating system .
Mines the electric version , just wondering if its a common problem with all electric heating systems . ;)

FoxyV6

« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2010, 13:51:09 »

sorry dim woman here what do you mean by manual or electric heating system??
its a bloody nuisance i need it sorting  i cant go through another winter with no heater, (bloody cavalier last year lol)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2010, 13:54:03 »

Have you tried a re-set. Press ON & AUTO, should hear all the servos re-setting
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2010, 13:58:07 »

Do any of the displays light up? I just want to discount a fuse.

If they do is it just the fan not working?

BigJohn309

• grantham , lincolnshire
  • new omega owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2010, 14:10:49 »

i meant dose it have twist dials or push buttons to adjust the amount of heat . sorry to confuse you , i confuse my self somtimes . ;)

FoxyV6

« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2010, 14:57:50 »

hi will try the re set in a tic thanks for that. all display lights up just getting nothing coming out. and it is electrical ive just made a total show of myself asking my local garage and he told me lmao. if the reset doesnt work its going in the garage thursday. am i looking at a huge huge bill do you think????

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2010, 16:57:54 »

i meant dose it have twist dials or push buttons to adjust the amount of heat . sorry to confuse you , i confuse my self somtimes . ;)
Its a face lift Omega not the mini facelift ;)
Retired

FoxyV6

« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2010, 20:32:56 »

anyone got any more clues as to what they think it might be, its booked in Thursday for a check over, ive got no water on the carpets  etc ive checked the fuse all seems ok,

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2010, 23:54:51 »

If the garage (or indeed anyone reliable) tells you that it's the heater matrix, then thats a huuuge job, certainly not one that can be done in 10 mins!

Should it be that (and thats worst case scenario) PLEASE shop around, probably get one from an oofer, as you will be paying significantly less that way, than you will in garage bills. Its one of them jobs people can easily rip you off with.

On a very Vulcan-like logical level if there's not enough heat coming out that would indicate the car thinks the interior is warmer than it in fact is? Failing that a sticking 'flap' inside which is not directing as much warm air as it should be. I'd look down the 'dicky sensor' and 'sticking/broken flap' route.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2010, 00:59:43 »

It's the heater fan unit that has seized up - a more and more common fault or so it seems - look at listings under General Help.

A garage will charge a couple of hours labour plus parts.   On fleabay s/h fan motor is around £30.

Welung666

« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2010, 05:42:04 »

Could also be the rheostat if it's just the fan that's not working. I've got a good 2nd fan unit and rheostat if you need them Foxy :y

FoxyV6

« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2010, 13:26:07 »

Could also be the rheostat if it's just the fan that's not working. I've got a good 2nd fan unit and rheostat if you need them Foxy :y

cheers hun might take you up on that :y im dreading tomorrow now i can see a huge bill looming just what i need before Christmas :'( :'(

FoxyV6

« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2010, 12:04:38 »

I have Heat yayyyyyy lol turned out to be a knackered pollen filter which has been replaced and voila heat :y
all fans are working fine and everything else is ok, the relief is unbelievable :y
« Last Edit: 18 November 2010, 12:04:59 by FoxyV6 »

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2010, 15:32:46 »

:-?  can't see how a pollen filter could possibly stop your heaters working.  :-/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2010, 15:53:26 »

:-?  can't see how a pollen filter could possibly stop your heaters working.  :-/

I was wondering that - unless there is a sensor that detects poor airflow and shuts the system down, like teh VAG ones, or more likely, something was "disturbed" whilst fitting the filter and has burst back into life.

Either way, I think I would be keeping a close eye on it over the next few days

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2010, 16:09:32 »

I suppose a very badly blocked filter would stop airflow and give the impression that the fans were not working as there would be no flow... but I would have thought you would still hear the fans turning ???

Without airflow there would, certainly, be no heat, but this would, IMHO, occur slowly over time as the filter blocked, not as reported, as a sudden stop.

Puzzled of Wiltshire on this one .. :(

Welung666

« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2010, 16:33:10 »

I suppose a chunk of the pollen filter could have fallen into the fan mechanism and stopped it, other than that I wouldn't have thought a blocked filter would have stopped the fans.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2010, 18:01:12 »

I suppose a chunk of the pollen filter could have fallen into the fan mechanism and stopped it, other than that I wouldn't have thought a blocked filter would have stopped the fans.

Yes, but what's the chances of that happening?
I can't see the filter just shredding a lump off of itself and committing Hari Kari.   ;D

FoxyV6

« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2010, 20:11:59 »

my mechanic said he tested all the fans and they where all working fine , the only thing he twiddled with was the heater buttons, turning them from lo to hi and putting the air con on, everything was off this morning as i tried it yet again (no blowing coming out of the blowers) and yet on picking the car up they are now working. he changed the filter as a matter of course but tbh i think even he was stumped as everything was working ok when he had a look. i wasnt complaining as they now work and i can see out the windscreen lol, but he said any more probs to drop by. total charge for work zero so im not complaining :y

you watch it'll go tits up again after a few days, i must admit its a bit of a bloody mystery to everyone involved. maybe my cars threw a stroppy cos i was thinking about selling it (not now though lol)
« Last Edit: 18 November 2010, 20:19:30 by FoxyV6 »

Welung666

« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2010, 20:23:32 »

Yes, but what's the chances of that happening?
I can't see the filter just shredding a lump off of itself and committing Hari Kari.   ;D

You can't say that, you don't know it's circumstances! ;) :P ;D ;D ;D

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2010, 20:24:15 »

maybe my cars threw a stroppy cos i was thinking about selling it

Well that explains it then, why didn't you say that sooner?   ;D

FoxyV6

« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2010, 20:25:01 »

;D ;D ;D

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 November 2010, 20:33:11 »

See Mr Welung, I knew it couldn't be a manic depressive suicidal pollen filter.  ;)

FoxyV6

« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2010, 17:07:51 »

Bit of an update on this saga. my heater has decided that it will now come on and go off when it wants to. i definitely think theres a short somewhere. but ive bought another motor off lee just in case. im starting to feel like an ice pop driving around now.  ::) cant wait to get this sorted, which will no doubt be when the weather suddenly becomes too hot for me to need the heater :o
« Last Edit: 07 December 2010, 17:08:23 by FoxyV6 »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.