Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CCRT700 - swapped CDC2 unit, still error code  (Read 2985 times)

Quince99

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
CCRT700 - swapped CDC2 unit, still error code
« on: 13 December 2010, 13:11:46 »

Having ERROR CDC on the dash display I was advised here that it was technically up the spout and was best course of action to change the offending unit. I eventually located the right one and it came with a code... this is where I'm having the sense of déja vu  ::)

Fitted new CDC2 and started car and Philips CCRT700, when I switched to CD gave me CD DISTURB - what, mentally?  :P - so duly shut off and went through code setting. When entering code it offered Temporary or Permanent (which was new to me) so entered the correct code as Permanent.

This done, it gave me CD SAFE so redid the code malarkey once more. Next one was NO MAGAZINE - easily remedied as I had not indeed inserted it. Filled with various CDs for it to pick from and inserted magazine. Went to the front once more and selected CD and this time I got the wonderful ERROR CDC code... again...  :(

Does this mean the replacement unit has been duly knackered by me or does it point to something else within the system? My next port of call is an auto electrician who will know infinitely more than I do about audio setups (hopefully!), following that there'll be an Omega Elite sans working CD system on ebay....  >:(

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: CCRT700 - swapped CDC2 unit, still error code
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2010, 14:07:37 »

I`ll avoid the obvious reply of making sure you have the correct version of changer signified by the same 10 digit part number starting with a 7 on the label.

When you fitted the new changer, did you simply unplug the old one and plug the new one in?  Or did you perform the task correctly by removing the head unit first for ten minutes, refitting the changer first and then refitting the head unit?

If all of that fails, then you may have found why there are so many CDC2 units on ebay - they are virtually all FUBAR now.

:-X
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Quince99

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2010, 14:23:13 »

The numbers on the label were all correct - took me ages to find the right one.

I removed the old one from boot and refitted other one. Had no idea the head unit should be removed - from dash console? that'll be fun!

Is it worth attempting removal (how please?) and then refitting or have I killed the replacement unit?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2010, 14:51:47 »

Its not uncommon for the head unit to remember the fault codes generated by the faulty changer, which is why its important to fit everything first, and for the head unit to power up last of all, therefore resetting any fault codes.

CCRT700 can be pulled out of the dash and unplugged very easily, but you will need the correct removal tools to do this - If you don`t have any tools, then cheaper to ask a garage and bung them a beer than buy the crap ones sold by Halfords though - should take but a few seconds to do.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Quince99

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2010, 16:19:50 »

Thank you for this - do not have any removal tools so will see if ebay has anything specific (rather than generic) for the head unit.

Given that this is, from what you say, a relatively frequent occurrence, how is one supposed to know to remove the h/unit first? Given that computers of the same vintage as the Omega were essentially Plug-and-Play, I would naturally assume - as have many others evidently - that the CDC component could simply be swapped over.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2010, 17:18:25 »

Given that this is, from what you say, a relatively frequent occurrence, how is one supposed to know to remove the h/unit first?

Easy - ASK !!

Given that computers of the same vintage as the Omega were essentially Plug-and-Play, I would naturally assume - as have many others evidently - that the CDC component could simply be swapped over

Good comparison - a computer of similar age would indeed have had to be shut down and rebooted to see any new hardware - No difference really !!

:P
www.dndservices.co.uk

Quince99

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2010, 14:42:54 »

Having tried a few objects, screwdriver, needle etc. the holes into which they are inserted seem to be blocked, i.e. anything that fits the small-diameter hole does not appear to go in further than 2mm (if that). From this observation it doesn't seem possible for any tools to be inserted in order to extract the head unit.

What further action can be taken to remove this unit then short of sledgehammer?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2010, 14:52:03 »

Having tried a few objects, screwdriver, needle etc. the holes into which they are inserted seem to be blocked, i.e. anything that fits the small-diameter hole does not appear to go in further than 2mm (if that). From this observation it doesn't seem possible for any tools to be inserted in order to extract the head unit.

What further action can be taken to remove this unit then short of sledgehammer?

They are grub screws  ;) Can't remember the size off hand, but you need something like 1.5 or 2 mm Allen key.

Quince99

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2010, 17:31:38 »

This would explain it - have various Allen keys dotted around. Will attempt extraction in daylight (loss of small screws being an added pain I could do without) and when it's a bit more charitable than -8 outside!

Thanks for this - will report back to see if ERROR CDC problem rectified or whether I need a THIRD changer to experiment with...  :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2010, 17:50:00 »

This would explain it - have various Allen keys dotted around. Will attempt extraction in daylight (loss of small screws being an added pain I could do without) and when it's a bit more charitable than -8 outside! ......

The grub screws are only fitted to slow down a would be thief trying to tea leave your radio, and are not required if you lose any. I removed mine when I last took my radio out & put them somewhere safe  ::) ::) so safe I can't find them  ;D ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2010, 18:03:12 »

Torx T8 also fits them, and by all means throw them away once removed

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Clarkey

• Ireland
    • 01 3.2 Auto Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2010, 10:46:14 »

If you cannot remove head unit would disconnection the battery for the same amount of time work instead? You would have to reset time & window pinch guards etc.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2010, 10:51:33 »

If you cannot remove head unit would disconnection the battery for the same amount of time work instead? You would have to reset time & window pinch guards etc.

Yes, but because there is often so much else to reset, and battery connections can suffer in this cold weather, I would advise against it - especially when pulling out the radio is so easy to  do.
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2010, 19:33:02 »

Its 2mm fo the grub screws, an I reckon it looks better with them in, just to cover the holes.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2010, 19:43:55 »

Its 2mm fo the grub screws, an I reckon it looks better with them in, just to cover the holes.

When I've find mine in their safe place ......  ::) ::) ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.