Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Telematics loom  (Read 6717 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Telematics loom
« Reply #60 on: 07 May 2011, 09:44:32 »

Right, think I understand, however, the inbuilt prewiring in the car does not support Telematics, that requires some extra lines not present on the prewiring plug. If you wanted to add those extra lines (listed on one of my posts above) then I guess you could as there's plenty of blank spaces on the prewiring socket.

Right... I was a little fuddled last night ::) ::)

The car has a NCDC2015 and Telematics fitted which, I assume, is using up the pre wiring socket that would usually be behind the glove box :-?

The Telemute / Autoleads adaptor with the matching transformers does not cure the impedance issue when a Telematics is introduced to another phone, they are there to ensure that the Bose amp doesn't make a bid for Bose heaven (supposedly) - or as Autoleads put it 'to save issues with Bose'. The Jury is still out as to wether they are really required. On factory fitted Telematics installations we believe there is an impedance matching device somewhere (shown on TIS diagrams), the circuit TB made up equates to the same solution.

So what you're saying is that the little impedance matching circuit on the telemute lead is not required because it's already fitted elsewhere? Or is that circuit within the telematics unit, in which case it would still need to be fitted if the Nokia input is "after" the telematics unit (which it will be)

Simplest solution to the MIC issue is to use the correct MIC for telematics in the courtesy lamp and the supplied kit MIC for the car kit.

Fitting the Nokia mic is no problem, but I'd prefer not to if I can use the pre-installed one that the telematics uses. Surely it's the same mic across the range and if there was no Telematics the H/F would just plug and play :-/ The only issue I can see is if there was a call in progress on both the Nokia kit and the telematics simultaneously, which is never going to happen as the telematics is more of a backup in case there is no signal on the other phone :-/

Remember also that Telematics is paired with the HU and Screen and therefore I think the HU may get a little upset if it's not present 100% of the time.

It will still be present all the time, I planed to splice another pre-wired socket into the car loom, alongside the existing one, for the Nokia kit. Basically, add the plug pictured into the car loom alongside the existing one which, I assume, is plugged into the back of the telematics unit.

(Thanks for the picture Albs ::)) And sorry to all for the poor quality (to copy his words!) ::) :D

Hopefully that's made my plans a little clearer having been described without the affluence of incahol :-[ ::) ;D If it's never going to work I won't bother trying, but I can't see any reason for it not to :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 07 May 2011, 10:08:07 »

Right, think I understand, however, the inbuilt prewiring in the car does not support Telematics, that requires some extra lines not present on the prewiring plug. If you wanted to add those extra lines (listed on one of my posts above) then I guess you could as there's plenty of blank spaces on the prewiring socket.

Right... I was a little fuddled last night ::) ::)

The car has a NCDC2015 and Telematics fitted which, I assume, is using up the pre wiring socket that would usually be behind the glove box :-?

No the prewiring for a phone is not the same loom as the wiring for a 2015

The Telemute / Autoleads adaptor with the matching transformers does not cure the impedance issue when a Telematics is introduced to another phone, they are there to ensure that the Bose amp doesn't make a bid for Bose heaven (supposedly) - or as Autoleads put it 'to save issues with Bose'. The Jury is still out as to wether they are really required. On factory fitted Telematics installations we believe there is an impedance matching device somewhere (shown on TIS diagrams), the circuit TB made up equates to the same solution.

So what you're saying is that the little impedance matching circuit on the telemute lead is not required because it's already fitted elsewhere? Or is that circuit within the telematics unit, in which case it would still need to be fitted if the Nokia input is "after" the telematics unit (which it will be)

The matching transformers are for line level adjustment to stop the Bose amp heading for Bose heaven when connected to a car kit with potential to feed higher than line level (by adjustment on the handsets volume control), the impedance matching circuit that TB and I refer to is because the outputs from the Telematics have a different impedance to the outputs of a.n.other car kit and when you try to send them both to the head unit the output levels are very different - the Telematics is nearly silent but the car kit is too loud.

Simplest solution to the MIC issue is to use the correct MIC for telematics in the courtesy lamp and the supplied kit MIC for the car kit.

Fitting the Nokia mic is no problem, but I'd prefer not to if I can use the pre-installed one that the telematics uses. Surely it's the same mic across the range and if there was no Telematics the H/F would just plug and play :-/ The only issue I can see is if there was a call in progress on both the Nokia kit and the telematics simultaneously, which is never going to happen as the telematics is more of a backup in case there is no signal on the other phone :-/

Different MIC's Telematics mic is an amplified MIC whereas car kit devices are not. I've got the part numbers somewhere.

Remember also that Telematics is paired with the HU and Screen and therefore I think the HU may get a little upset if it's not present 100% of the time.

It will still be present all the time, I planed to splice another pre-wired socket into the car loom, alongside the existing one, for the Nokia kit. Basically, add the plug pictured into the car loom alongside the existing one which, I assume, is plugged into the back of the telematics unit.

(Thanks for the picture Albs ::)) And sorry to all for the poor quality (to copy his words!) ::) :D

As mentioned previuosly, Telematics connector is not the same as the pre-wiring and you will be missing signals to 'piggyback' off this - The Telematics does not need a MUTE line so not present on plug.

Hopefully that's made my plans a little clearer having been described without the affluence of incahol :-[ ::) ;D If it's never going to work I won't bother trying, but I can't see any reason for it not to :-/

It will work but you need to implement the install in the same way as TB and I have to make it work.

I really could do with having a closer look at a factory Telematics install to see how they resolved the impedance issues as i'm not 100% convinced by the TIS information.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 07 May 2011, 10:53:47 »

LazyCripple - you cannot share the MIC. There are different MIC types fitted to the courtesy light.  That said, I believe the telematics (made by Nokia) and a Nokia kit use the same type (although I do get complaints in TBE of being faint/quiet)....   ....BUT its a powered, amplified mic, so think you'll get into all sorted of issues trying to share it, without switching it between kits with relays etc (which would make the Telematics moan).  I'm sure a circuit could be made up, but for the sake of a 2nd Nokia mic, its not worth the effort.

Forget the autoleads think. Waste of time in this case - you're making work for yourself to use it, and the only point of those telemutes is to make lift easier ;).

What you need to do is feed your Nokia from the available +, W, 0v connections, connect to the audio wires*, and run a wire back to mute (as this doesn't exist in the Telematics loom (as it does it via CAN))

[size=14]* Impedence issues still need to be tested - not convinced they will be an issue with factory fitted Telematics, as there will be no isolation transformers/audio transformers which exist with non-Telematics prewired cars.[/size]

VXL V6, seeing as my ncdc test loom is wrecked  :-[, and time to rebuild it isn't forthcoming, can you test on your test loom?
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07 May 2011, 11:10:59 »

All received and understood guys... Thanks :y Was just trying to make a tidier job of the wiring ::)

So... I guess I'll be looking for you to sort it at some point for me :-X ::) In the mean time, I can carry on exactly as I have for the last 3.5 years just diverting my mobile to the car phone :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07 May 2011, 11:24:45 »

All received and understood guys... Thanks :y Was just trying to make a tidier job of the wiring ::)

So... I guess I'll be looking for you to sort it at some point for me :-X ::) In the mean time, I can carry on exactly as I have for the last 3.5 years just diverting my mobile to the car phone :y :y
Nokia mic is fairly neat - up passenger A pillar, across to sunroof motor housing, then attach to headlining or motor housing as required.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07 May 2011, 11:26:13 »

Nokia mic is fairly neat - up passenger A pillar, across to sunroof motor housing, then attach to headlining or motor housing as required.

Yeah, no worries with that... I've fitted a few in my time and always hide it away properly :y :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 May 2011, 13:57:32 »

VXL V6, seeing as my ncdc test loom is wrecked  :-[, and time to rebuild it isn't forthcoming, can you test on your test loom?

Yep no problem, do you want to borrow it? Planning to go to the meet on the 30th so could bring all my boxes of assorted NCDC type crap with me!  ;D

albitz

« Reply #67 on: 07 May 2011, 14:06:38 »

I hope Mrs Albs doesnt look at this thread and recognise that tea towel. ::) ;D ;D
I also have some sort of Nokia kit kit here including mic - which may be of some use, or may be hopelessly out of date. ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 May 2011, 14:24:08 »

I hope Mrs Albs doesnt look at this thread and recognise that tea towel. ::) ;D ;D
I also have some sort of Nokia kit kit here including mic - which may be of some use, or may be hopelessly out of date. ;)

I'll have a look at it when I come over and advise you if it's worth bothering with or if you should just "donate" it to TB as spares ::) ::)

albitz

« Reply #69 on: 07 May 2011, 15:08:37 »

Doubt its worth me bothering with. Just whether bits of it may be of any use to you or anyone else. :-/

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 07 May 2011, 15:09:21 »

Chris will have the microphone off you if it's in one piece!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 07 May 2011, 15:12:06 »

I think he's already bought one ::) Although I've got 2 handsfree kits to fit as SWMBO needs one chucking into her car too ;)

Mind you, for the sake of a few quid on fleabay I think I'd stick a new one in ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 07 May 2011, 15:17:52 »

I think he's already bought one ::) Although I've got 2 handsfree kits to fit as SWMBO needs one chucking into her car too ;)

Mind you, for the sake of a few quid on fleabay I think I'd stick a new one in ;)

Yes, be a pain to have to find it didn't work after you've routed it up the A pillar and halfway across the roof!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 07 May 2011, 15:21:30 »

Yes, be a pain to have to find it didn't work after you've routed it up the A pillar and halfway across the roof!

Speaking of spares, have you got a spare jog wheel for the CK7W in known working condition?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07 May 2011, 15:24:32 »

I've got a couple of full kits less the microphones. Would prefer not to split them up tbh but if you find they are silly money on Evilbay then i'm sure I can exchange one for a couple of chocolate brownies!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.