Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: whose fault?  (Read 1911 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
whose fault?
« on: 10 May 2022, 22:12:03 »

'you' are turning right onto a main road from a side road.
A car on the main road coming towards you on your right is indicating left to turn left into the road you're tuning out of.
You move forward to make your right turn ..... meanwhile
the car behind the car tuning left overtakes said car & broadside you.

Genuine question ..... who's to blame? You? Or the overtaking car?

Asking for a friend!  ::) (honestly not me but my young nephew)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: whose fault?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2022, 22:17:52 »

It's a difficult one but, if I was forced to make a judgment, I would say the car pulling out of the side road should not proceed until they can see that the main road is clear.
It could have been a cyclist coming around the car and that would have been game shot and match.
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2022, 22:19:38 »

I agree
Laying a rubber road.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2022, 22:22:00 »

You have to ensure that your path is clear to enter/join a road without slowing other road users
so I'd say the driver who pulled out the exit
the person following the car turning in can overtake IF the path is clear ,or continue at speed in the same lane ,either way it would hit anyone pulling out .
that's what I would think , maybe there's a "rule book" for the highway

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2022, 22:26:31 »

Highway Code:
You must not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure

You must look all around before emerging. Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2022, 22:29:02 »

It's a difficult one but, if I was forced to make a judgment, I would say the car pulling out of the side road should not proceed until they can see that the main road is clear.
It could have been a cyclist coming around the car and that would have been game shot and match.

It is a difficult one  ....
I'm undecided too. The overtaking car also has to ensure that his/her road is clear too. I know that on occasion when I've pulled out to pass a car turning left I've been very aware that a car could pull out of the side road  :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2022, 22:30:53 »

It is a difficult one  ....
I'm undecided too. The overtaking car also has to ensure that his/her road is clear too. I know that on occasion when I've pulled out to pass a car turning left I've been very aware that a car could pull out of the side road  :-\
Since my first post I've quoted the Highway Code. Your nephew is in the wrong. If he'd have waited to make sure that the car was actually turning, he'd have missed the overtaking car.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2022, 22:32:39 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2022, 22:32:33 »

..... until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.

presumably there would have been if the overtaking car hadn't been there.

The car my nephew was in was a Kia Picanto? (the very smallest Kia) had all it's air bags deploy so assume it'll be written off. It's only just gone back on the road after roof tiles were blown off their house's roof onto it in a recent storm.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2022, 22:35:35 »

He can, of course, argue the toss. Insurance companies do like to dismiss these  things as knock for knock. The other driver might push it though, especially if he believes he's in the right.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2022, 22:36:24 »

Since my first post I've quoted the Highway Code. Your nephew is in the wrong. If he'd have waited to make sure that the car was actually turning, he'd have missed the overtaking car.

Probably.
Depending on the road junction it's possible to see that the car indicating car left is actually turning left and still have a car overtake it while I'm deciding whether to pull out

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2022, 22:36:52 »

The car my nephew was in was a Kia Picanto? (the very smallest Kia) had all it's air bags deploy so assume it'll be written off. It's only just gone back on the road after roof tiles were blown off their house's roof onto it in a recent storm.
If the other car hit him broadside on the drivers side, he's lucky he's around to tell the tale.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2022, 22:41:03 »

Tell your nephew to move to Bradford. They have different rules there or, should I say, they don't have any rules there. If you're driving along and see a car waiting to pull out, it's gonna pull out.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2022, 22:41:38 »

If the other car hit him broadside on the drivers side, he's lucky he's around to tell the tale.
There's photo showing the damage to the car. It was hit smack back in the middle of the car, B post is bent. It must have been a real shock as the car that hit would have just been a few inches form him when the dust settled .... he's a snow flake at the best of times.  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2022, 22:42:51 »

Tell your nephew to move to Bradford. They have different rules there or, should I say, they don't have any rules there. If you're driving along and see a car waiting to pull out, it's gonna pull out.
;D ;D ;D
He'd definitely stand out in Bratford ..... white with blue hair!  ::) ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2022, 22:44:14 »

There's photo showing the damage to the car. It was hit smack back in the middle of the car, B post is bent. It must have been a real shock as the car that hit would have just been a few inches form him when the dust settled .... he's a snow flake at the best of times.  ::)
No doubt when he looked out of the drivers side window, he got a close up of a very angry face  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.