Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Prefacelift handbrake back plate removal

(1/2) > >>

addy:
As the title says. Has anyone had any luck, removing the bolts. That hold the back plate, that the handbrake pad holder pins, twist into, on a prefacelift? I thought I had sorted the problem, but the pin has pulled back through on oneside. I was able to fit a pin from the back on oneside. But the hub carrier is in the way on the otherside. Or has anyone found a fix.

I do have the proper spline sockets, but was thinking maybe the sockets, that bite into bolts might be better?

I have added a photo, to show bolts and hole I mean. The pad pin hole is the exact one in the photo, that has pulled through.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick W:
Cleaning the crud out of the bolt head before using the correct size triple square bit, made this an easy job when doing several wheel bearings :y

Have you considered epoxying a suitable washer onto the backing plate? Remember to fit the pin before doing this...

cam.in.head:
if yours is the type where the pins insert from the front into the backplate then the mating slotted cap washer that conventional ones use could be welded onto the backplate making the slot new again.
other type (that cannot be reached from behind ) could either be converted to slot or a new floati ng pin fitted from the front into the damaged hole and then a washer welded on to make the area good again.

Enceladus:
It's not a standard spline. The socket needed to remove the backplate bolts in the photograph is an M10 XZN bit. This is also known as an M10 triple-square bit. Usually you need an extra long bit so you can reach through the access hole in the hub, doesn't seem to apply here. There's a Facom one here. Clean out the bolt heads with a fine wire brush and then soak with shock and unlock or similar.

The Vauxhall/Opel TIS says to loosen the bolts and pull the backplate forward to make room to insert the new style pins from the backside. As per cam.in.head's post above I repaired a pulled through backplate slot by welding on one of the mating slotted washers from the new style pin kits.

Try to repair the backplates as you'll struggle to find new ones.

grifter:
New ones here if these help:

https://www.ankerblech.de/c/ankerbleche/omega-b

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version