Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Does spinning the oil filter housing damage it

(1/4) > >>

mattbearman:
I'm trying to do a simple oil and filter change, and I've come up against the dreaded stuck cap on the oil filter housing, and I didn't realise initially that the entire housing was turning.

I've searched the forum and read through countless threads about this, with a couple asking if spinning the housing will damage it, but I couldn't see a definite answer.

I've got a chain type oil filter removal tool, so I'm gonna try to use that to hold the housing still and get the cap off. My plan is to then remove the housing and try to see if the housing/seal looks damaged, but it would be great to know in advance, so I can order the adapter for a spin on filter if needed

Nick W:
The filter housing has a lug that is supposed to locate it. Once that's broken, you'll struggle to loosen the cap on every filter change because the whole assembly rotates. This is extremely tedious, and will eventually wreck the seal so you gain a massive oil leak right by the oil filter, which cannot be good.

Bin the bloody thing and revert to a normal spin-on filter that has none of these issues, is cheaper, easier to change and makes less mess. Cartridge filters make a good deal of sense when fitted vertically into a securely located housing at the top of the engine - like BMW's M50 etc straight sixes. The V6 installation smacks of engineers with nothing to do fixing problems they invented in the pub.

johnnydog:
I use a cheap metal band filter wrench that has a thumb screw for adjustment, which I use purely for preventing the housing from turning by wedging it, whilst undoing the cap with a large flexi head ratchet spanner. The thin band is easier to locate on the housing body than a chain. Just ensures the housing body doesn't turn on removal of the cap.

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Nick W on 28 March 2023, 09:49:21 ---The filter housing has a lug that is supposed to locate it. Once that's broken, you'll struggle to loosen the cap on every filter change because the whole assembly rotates. This is extremely tedious, and will eventually wreck the seal so you gain a massive oil leak right by the oil filter, which cannot be good.

Bin the bloody thing and revert to a normal spin-on filter that has none of these issues, is cheaper, easier to change and makes less mess. Cartridge filters make a good deal of sense when fitted vertically into a securely located housing at the top of the engine - like BMW's M50 etc straight sixes. The V6 installation smacks of engineers with nothing to do fixing problems they invented in the pub.

--- End quote ---

Weren't oil filters ALL replaceable element/cartrdge filters at one time? In all the 10 years/100k miles I did oil filter changers on my Omega I never ever had a problem.
Operator error? ::)

BazaJT:
Yes they were but that was a long time ago.Must say I think one of the best moves I've made with my Omega is to convert it back[they originally had a spin on filter]to the spin on type.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version