Chat Area > General Car Chat

Shifty Garage and Small Claims Court

(1/8) > >>

JamesV6CDX:
I have lodged a case in the Small Claims court against a local garage and MOT testing station. I've done it more as a matter of principle, than to recoup the cost, because they blatantly tried to rip me off.

I took our 2011 Astra for MOT last week. I made my request clear - "Please can you do an MOT test, and let me know the result". He told me the MOT would be at 10am the next morning. I left the car with them, so they had it first thing next day.

I checked the MOT History website at around 10am and it had already been done. A years pass, with advisories for a bulb, and the rear brake pads "wearing thin".

I thought "Great, I'll go and get it later" and thought no more of it.

About 3pm, call from the garage "We're just finishing up doing your rear brakes, they needed doing, to get through the MOT test. Car will be ready for you in half an hour".

So I got myself down there in a flash. The car was not in the workshop, but parked behind other cars, stone cold.

I went into "reception" and spoke to the only staff member I could see, the stereotypical spotty Yoof.

I asked him the obvious questions:

1) If it needed brake pads to get through the MOT, how come it went through the MOT with an advisory?

2) If I needed brake pads to get through - why isn't there one result which is a failure, and then a further result for the re-test where the pass is then issued?

3) If it needed brake pads to pass the MOT, how come the MOT pass was issued at 10am, and you phoned me at 3 to say you were still doing the brake pads?

4) Why didn't you call me to discuss any work needed, because I haven't authorised anything you've done, apart from the MOT?

He looked like he didn't even understand the purpose of my questions, let alone have the ability to answer them. He just kept repeating "You'll have to speak to the boss but he aint here. No cash no car"

I begrudgingly paid the bill using a card, because I know I can't take the car legally until I have (the law is an ass sometimes). I also refused to sign the invoice as they asked, and took my unsigned copy with me. Interestingly, in the signature box, it says "I authorise the above work to be undertaken" which of course I never did.

I emailed the garage my questions that night, and the boss called me the next day. I was driving and he left a voicemail. It was basically a load of abusive hot air,  borderline criminally abusive, where I was basically told to go forth and multiply and wouldn't be getting anything back.

So I've taken it straight to small claims - exhibiting his voicemail digitally, so the Judge can hear for himself why my attempt to sort it informally didn't work.

I've asked for a partial refund - the labour charge for doing the pads (I'd have never agreed to pay that, I'd have done it myself) plus the difference between the extortionate amount the garage charged me for the pads, vs what I would have paid for them had I purchased them online to fit myself.

All of course backed with the appropriate evidence.

We shall await the outcome!

JamesV6CDX:
I should add. Loads of reviews online to say they do unauthorised work. Often to female customers.

Andy B:
Does the garage know what you do (did?) for a living?

Doctor Gollum:
Did they actually change the pads?

Andy B:
I had a motorbike place do similar. They did the 1st MOT on scooter I had & changed the pads because they said they were worn. A few years later, giving them the benefit of doubt they did the same to my TDM when I took it for its MOT. I told them I wouldn't be back & never have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version