Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It just doesn't end...  (Read 871 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
It just doesn't end...
« on: 03 August 2021, 17:03:27 »

My sister dropped her kitten off on her way to work this morning, to go to the vet for an examination. I'm taking it with ours to save some time. And I've had enough of wiring her broken catbox together, so I made a couple of new latches for it when we got home. And this time, the vet put the correct cat in the correct box so I didn't unload the wrong cat(they're virtually identical) at the right house this time

So, Deb arrived to collect the box on her way past, and presented me with a broken door handle off her car. A quick look on Ebay turned up several used passenger side ones, but no OS. I've ordered a new one for each side from a Chinese supplier for £11, ETA at least a fortnight.

Which means I've got to patch up the broken handle in the meantime. I think some 6mm aluminium plate, 3 or 4 screws and some Araldite is tomorrow's side job. The main job is finishing the bathroom repair, which I've been dragging out because it involves two things I particularly hate: finish woodwork and tiling.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: It just doesn't end...
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2021, 17:25:58 »

My sister dropped her kitten off on her way to work this morning, to go to the vet for an examination. I'm taking it with ours to save some time. And I've had enough of wiring her broken catbox together, so I made a couple of new latches for it when we got home. And this time, the vet put the correct cat in the correct box so I didn't unload the wrong cat(they're virtually identical) at the right house this time

So, Deb arrived to collect the box on her way past, and presented me with a broken door handle off her car. A quick look on Ebay turned up several used passenger side ones, but no OS. I've ordered a new one for each side from a Chinese supplier for £11, ETA at least a fortnight.

Which means I've got to patch up the broken handle in the meantime. I think some 6mm aluminium plate, 3 or 4 screws and some Araldite is tomorrow's side job. The main job is finishing the bathroom repair, which I've been dragging out because it involves two things I particularly hate: finish woodwork and tiling.
Saves you getting bored  :)
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2021, 23:30:01 »

I did a quick and temporary repair on the handle with a small piece of 1.5mm thick stainless to bridge the broken parts, 3 M4 tapped holes and stainless screws(for looks because I had some) and a generous smear of cheap 2k epoxy under the plate and in the join. It's surprisingly rigid, and would probably do me for sometime, although I bet Deb can break it ::)

When it arrives, the new handle will require disassembly of the door. Depending on how awkward that is I may, or may not, fit the passenger one.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2021, 11:01:46 »

I did a quick and temporary repair on the handle with a small piece of 1.5mm thick stainless to bridge the broken parts, 3 M4 tapped holes and stainless screws(for looks because I had some) and a generous smear of cheap 2k epoxy under the plate and in the join. It's surprisingly rigid, and would probably do me for sometime, although I bet Deb can break it ::)

When it arrives, the new handle will require disassembly of the door. Depending on how awkward that is I may, or may not, fit the passenger one.

If the replacement is from China it may pay to "repair" the new one before fitting ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.