Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Nasty 4 pot diesel" problem (project car)  (Read 4324 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
"Nasty 4 pot diesel" problem (project car)
« on: 27 May 2014, 18:40:36 »

Took ownership of a very well presented 2.2 DTi Estate today thanks to VXL V6 - I am certainly very happy with my purchase. I have always been very scathing of the idea of a 4 pot diesel in an Omega, but actually it seems like a reasonable lump!

I'd like to see if the forum can pull our heads together over it's problem, to see if I can get it sorted :)

VXL's take on the problem is that the revs are dropping off, and he suspected the diesel pump may be the culprit. Having driven the car 100ish miles today on the motorway I am not sure that it is the pump. From research, it appears that pump issues mainly cause bad / no starting, and symptoms of fuel starvation / cutting out. This car hasn't got any of that - it will rev high and doesn't misfire or skip a beat, it also starts on the button including from cold/warm

What I did notice, is that the problem is apparant under load only. My personal view is that is has a clutch issue, and I just wanted to seek some opinion on that from OOF. I think it's clutch slip.

So for example, cruising along the M40 at 70mph in 5th gear, the revs are at about 2500. Put foot down even lightly, and as soon as the turbo spools up / some more power goes in, the revs shoot up to say, 3500rpm, maybe a little more, but with absolutely no increase in road speed. They then drop, after 2/3 seconds, to what is normal, and the car will keep pulling (albeit a little sluggish than I thought it'd be) - sometimes this will happen a couple of times or more if you keep your foot planted.

My instinct was immediately clutch slipping. The only thing I can't work out though, is why would it not KEEP slipping - indeed, if it is clutch slip, it appears to lose traction, gain traction, lose traction, gain traction, etc.... rather than just spin uncontrollably like I'd expect a slipping clutch?

There appears to be no fault lights. The orange light with the picture of the engine comes on with ignition and goes off when running. The picture of the car with the spanner doesn't illuminate at all.

Opinions very welcome please :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: "Nasty 4 pot diesel" problem (project car)
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 18:51:09 »

If you suspect clutch then it may be worth splitting the box and checking the clutch and DMF as a starting point... At least an R28/30 doesn't weigh as much as an AR35!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 18:52:53 »

If you suspect clutch then it may be worth splitting the box and checking the clutch and DMF as a starting point... At least an R28/30 doesn't weigh as much as an AR35!

Agreed... a clutch will be a million times easier to do than a diesel pump! :y

duke101

• lincoln
    • Omega Estate 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2014, 19:15:05 »

I had similar problems with my 2.5 manual car. The clutch would slip intermittently ,sometimes kept slipping until i pressed and released the clutch pedal , after which it was usually ok until its next use or sometimes stayed ok ...was like this for a week or so,eventually got much worse. When i removed the clutch the "connections/locating/holding straps" from the pressure plate to the clutch housing had all broken....my thoughts are that sometimes the pressure plate would just spin,other times the broken connectors would just catch and it wotked ok.

dejbear

• beds
    • omega dti elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2014, 19:28:57 »

I would agree with clutch

When my 03 dti's pump started playing up it would either just die or no power and only rev to 3k.
Found it would cut out more when hot (turn off ignition count to 3 and restart).
Was also worse if fuel low.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2014, 20:12:56 »

I would agree with clutch

When my 03 dti's pump started playing up it would either just die or no power and only rev to 3k.
Found it would cut out more when hot (turn off ignition count to 3 and restart).
Was also worse if fuel low.

Fault diagnosed

Went out for Italian tune up

Stopped 2 miles from home to do tyre pressures

Restarted. Cannot select any gears. Clutch has totally let go (and stinks)

Had to start her in gear and drive home without a clutch, thankfully it's a straight line!

I'm actually very pleased about this. It confirms the diagnosis and is a cheap easy fix

On a bright note I've fixed the radio!! :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2014, 23:06:10 »

All the clutch kits online are "2 piece" meaning no thrust bearing? Any idea for this?

Also does anyone know if exhaust (cat) has to be removed on the Dti to get the gearbox off? :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2014, 23:14:39 »

LUK Repest Pro is what you'll want James, this has all three pieces. Taxi Al replaced the clutch on one of my 3.2's and this was the kit used. It's pretty much what was fitted from the factory. I'll find the box with the part number on it and PM it to you  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2014, 23:18:36 »

All the clutch kits online are "2 piece" meaning no thrust bearing? Any idea for this?

Also does anyone know if exhaust (cat) has to be removed on the Dti to get the gearbox off? :y
Vauxhall? Not changing it can, from experience, lead to failure resulting in catastrophic damage to (in no particular order)...

Slave cylinder
Pressure plate
Friction plate
Flywheel
Bellhousing

Three piece kit should include slave cylinder with release bearing attached, but both available separately from Vauxhall. Be daft not to change everything in the bellhousing if you're going to drop the box :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2014, 23:19:54 »

Vauxhall? Not changing it can, from experience, lead to failure resulting in catastrophic damage to (in no particular order)...

Slave cylinder
Pressure plate
Friction plate
Flywheel
Bellhousing

Three piece kit should include slave cylinder with release bearing attached, but both available separately from Vauxhall. Be daft not to change everything in the bellhousing if you're going to drop the box :y

Totally agree Al, I want to do it all while I'm in there :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2014, 23:33:05 »

That appears to be for the 3.2 josh? :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2014, 23:36:49 »

Apparently all the same, it's the same clutch used in the 2.6 / 3.2 and 3.0 and apparently 2.2 DTI.

My 3.2 estate had a gearbox from a DTI fitted, with the DTI clutch aswell. Seemingly it was exactly the same!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2014, 23:37:54 »

Agree with the above  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2014, 11:41:50 »

Slave cylinder
Pressure plate
Friction plate
Flywheel
Bellhousing

I totaly disagree in this case, if it was a FWD then yes, totaly but, the rear wheel drive slave cylinder is bullet proof plus you can still replace the release bearing if required as it clips into the slave.

So the slave cylinder I would rate as optional only and definately not essential.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.