Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Rear sub frame mounting bushes ...  (Read 759 times)

mikeF

• Hatfield, Herts
  • 2001 2.6L GLS Estate Auto, and I LOVE it !!
    • View Profile
"Rear sub frame mounting bushes ...
« on: 10 August 2008, 14:25:44 »

... showing signs of splitting" reported at last service on my R plate 2.5 petrol estate.  The car has done 100K miles and will be 11 years old in November, so I'm not entirely surprised.  I need the shocks replacing and thought I'd get everything done together, but garage man says he a) can't find a time/price for doing the job and b) it probably needs a special tool to replace the bushes which he doesn't have.  Without the tool, "it will probably mean dismantling a large part of the rear end of the car which will be expensive".  The front shocks have already been done and at a pinch, I could prob'ly do the rears myself (although not as young fit and agile as I once was!) but the bushes would be beyond my capability ... I'm reluctant to go to local VX dealership, so are there any words of advice please  :question

FRE07962128

Re: "Rear sub frame mounting bushes ...
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2008, 14:29:46 »

I wish I could help you Mike, but the last time I replaced a sub-frame it was on a Wolsley Hornet (Mini variant)!  :(

To be honest I never realised that a car like an Omega had a sub-frame; you learn something every day! :o :o ::) ::)  Did my Senator and Carlton's have them as a matter of interest? :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2008, 14:32:52 »

Did my Senator and Carlton's have them as a matter of interest? :-?
Yup
Grumpy old man

FRE07962128

« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2008, 14:34:21 »

Did my Senator and Carlton's have them as a matter of interest? :-?
Yup

Thanks TB! :y   As I said you learn something new everyday on oof! ;D ;)

JezInBrum

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
  • Built for comfort not speed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2008, 15:18:48 »

I have seen in past threads some members saying the bushes can be prized out. I had mine done as part of the MOT last year. The chap the did them said it was a struggle even with it on a ramp. I cannot break down the labour I am afraid but the total labour cost for fitting a new rear brake pipe, the subframe bushes & the steering idler arm came in at £246.75 inc vat. Yhe buches themselves were £39.30 each from Vauxhall.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2008, 21:02:52 »

they take about 30 mins per side the first time you do them,
jack car up safely etc etc undo 3 bolts holding plate on remove , undo centre bolt and the lot will come away leaving the bush exposed, using a claw hammer claw end, look carefuly you will see three indentions on the new bushes, find them on the old ones and prise out, check cup is clean and if you want to use a smear of rubber grease round new bush,  dont forget the smaler ring that gioes above the arm,push bush in as far as you can by hand then refit the carrier plate UPSIDE DOWN!!!  using centre bolt simply screw it all the way in this will push the new bush fully home, remove plate and put on correct way do it all up and test!! there are 2 types of rear bush one with void holes in them and one without best handling comes without the void holes softer handling with them your choice!!
hope that helps? :y

mikeF

• Hatfield, Herts
  • 2001 2.6L GLS Estate Auto, and I LOVE it !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2008, 22:14:14 »

they take about 30 mins per side the first time you do them,
jack car up safely etc etc undo 3 bolts holding plate on remove , undo centre bolt and the lot will come away leaving the bush exposed, using a claw hammer claw end, look carefuly you will see three indentions on the new bushes, find them on the old ones and prise out, check cup is clean and if you want to use a smear of rubber grease round new bush,  dont forget the smaler ring that gioes above the arm,push bush in as far as you can by hand then refit the carrier plate UPSIDE DOWN!!!  using centre bolt simply screw it all the way in this will push the new bush fully home, remove plate and put on correct way do it all up and test!! there are 2 types of rear bush one with void holes in them and one without best handling comes without the void holes softer handling with them your choice!!
hope that helps? :y

Wow .. brilliant!  Thank you very much - it seems the only special tool required is a bit of ingenuity  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.