Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help !!!over heating  (Read 727 times)

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
help !!!over heating
« on: 22 August 2009, 17:29:43 »

today after driving on motorway for 60m pulled into car park temp gauge went off the scale left car for 3 hours checked coolant no problems started to drive home and again off the scale after only 5 mins seemed that only the inside fan was working so connected the nearside outer fan direct to battery to try to get home this worked on the flat at 50 mph but was creeping up the hole time just got home still no water loss sorry this is long winded  the car is a 2002 2.6 any ideas please ?????? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

Welung666

Re: help !!!over heating
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2009, 17:31:16 »

The front 2 (or outside) fans work with the A/C, if the ECO button is lit those fans won't run.

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2009, 17:42:11 »

thanks wellung a/c was on i allways thought that the omegas had 2 stage van for cooling and one for a/c so that enlightened me but does`t sort overheating ideas ????
Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2009, 17:44:31 »

GM worked out when they designed the Omega's electric's that if the weather is hot the driver would want the aircon 'ON', in doing so the two front aircon fans would assist in helping the airflow to cool the engine, then if it got hotter the same two fans would (at 100deg approx) switch to 'high speed'.
All this goes to 'rat sh1t' if people TRY to save money and press the 'ECO' switch.
Send a PM with email if you would like a copy of the 'Fan Test'.
regards
richard a
richard a

spikerz

• Perth,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2009, 17:56:37 »

When mine started overheating(the temp gauge would rise up towards red immediately after driving)it turned out to be the water pump impeller had broke off.A pretty sure sign of the pump packing in is cold areas on the radiator.On mine the top was hot and further down was cold.New pump sorted it but had to flush the system to get broken parts of the impeller out.

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2009, 00:39:18 »

Hi,
    If nothing obvious is found then i would consider a good coolant system flush as i had a similar problem and it worked for me :). Below is the post i left on another thread explaining the procedure i used.

I've been having a problem with overheating(102.5 degrees on gauge)for about a week or more now so got 2 bottles of the Wynn's coolant flush and after first emptying the radiator out using the little red drainer and removing the top hose i then placed a hose in the header tank and just let it run for a while then repeated with hose in top of radiator(replaced hose and drainer)refilled and ran engine up to temp. with cap off and heater full on hot and repeated after it had cooled for a while.
I then replaced hose and tightened drainer and inserted the contents of the Wynn's into the header tank and topped system up with water and ran engine up to temp.(again with cap off and heater on full hot)and once i was sure air was dispelled i took it for a short run and noticed an improvement straight away .
After leaving it over night i ran it up to temp. let it cool a while and repeated above procedure(but not the Wynn's bit .
  I then put in 50/50 antifreeze mix started and ran up to temp. with cap off and dispelled any air and to date has been as good as gold(95 to 97.5 on gauge) .

HTH,
             Pete  :y.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.