Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My turn (what tyre)  (Read 13479 times)

feeutfo

Re: My turn (what tyre)
« Reply #75 on: 23 September 2012, 10:39:13 »

We will get a softer compound in the uk than Turkey to account for the temp difference though. Tyre makers see to that. By a tyre in Spain and it won't work in the uk. I know this from personal experience, just can't get the heat into them. So they don't work. I realise road compounds are designed to work from cold, they have to, as opposed to track tyres, but the ambiantbtemp isn't there.

Although, from past posts, Turkey get a much wider range of temps than we do. No? I'm not sure the average would be too dis similar...but in any event a tyre purchased In the uk will be designed for uk ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 23 September 2012, 10:44:12 »

I can get the rear 255 Bridgestone Pretenders to break loose on a straight road when I hit the torque pedal on the German car.  :-\  They are standard fit on bmw coupe M Sport (used to be Continental).
Switch off the dsc and you can do predictable power slides. I'm not overly comfortable with them in the wet, but that may be down to my lack of ability.
I'm running GY Eagle F1 Assy 2 on the Omega and am happy with the stopping ability but can't comment on fast cornering as I'm too old for that sort of thing now.  ;)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

feeutfo

« Reply #77 on: 23 September 2012, 10:44:54 »

and Chris why do you for Contis generally which is also a test winner ;)

I chose them for stability, as recomended by Kevin Woods suggestion, after the total nightmare I had with Falkens, as he had them(conti) on his omega, and is intelegent enough to know what works with a good experience of progressive driving.

Would you take a tyre recommendation from Tunnie for instance? No i certainly wouldn't either. ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 23 September 2012, 10:46:18 »

ok then,  I have a question..  do you believe that ling longs or any avg tire will perform better than potenzas on the omega ?
The advantage that 'premium' brands have is less "difference" between dry and wet. The cheap budgets are usually "OK" in the dry, some actually quite good, but some are quite bad in the wet.

However, there are some budgets that do perform quite well. In my experience on Omegas, Kuhmo KU31 embarrasses a lot of premium brands, Bridgestone included. The downside of the KU31 is little feedback to the driver. Trying to think if I've driven an Omega on LingLongs, but I guess they are similar to must of the cheap, hard budgets. In which case, reasonable dry weather performance, woeful wet.

How do Autogrip FS107 perform in your tests - this is a tyre that should be banned. It will kill you. Yet I suspect it does OK in the budget group?
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 23 September 2012, 10:47:52 »

.........and avoid Bridgestone Potenza. They are shite. :y
They are certainly slippery on the Omega. Added to that, they have a MASSIVE rim protector, which will require a camber compromise if used on the front.

Can't comment on the Omega.......but on a girlie RX-8 they are piss poor. Harsh ride, zero wet weather grip and  extremely noisy.

Whatever were Mazda thinking of..... :-[

Wanli Ditchfinders at £50 a corner would be better. :y
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 10:51:28 by Opti »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #80 on: 23 September 2012, 10:48:40 »

I chose them for stability, as recomended by Kevin Woods suggestion, after the total nightmare I had with Falkens, as he had them(conti) on his omega, and is intelegent enough to know what works with a good experience of progressive driving.

Would you take a tyre recommendation from Tunnie for instance? No i certainly wouldn't either. ;D

I'm sure Tunnie is not happy with this thread..  ;D

I must note potenzas are imported to here without any modification.. directly from Japan..

and also the goodyears.. but from different factories..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #81 on: 23 September 2012, 10:50:00 »

They are certainly slippery on the Omega. Added to that, they have a MASSIVE rim protector, which will require a camber compromise if used on the front.

Can't comment on the Omega.......but on a girlie RX-8 they are piss poor. Harsh ride, zero wet weather grip and  extremely noisy.

which submodel Opti ?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 23 September 2012, 10:54:28 »

which submodel Opti ?

Cem. .......RE040......225/45/18. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 23 September 2012, 10:56:18 »

Either he pushes too hard..........or drives like Miss Daisy. Which is it?. ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #84 on: 23 September 2012, 11:00:47 »

I must note potenzas are imported to here without any modification.. directly from Japan..

they will be made specifically for uk or Turkey or whatever country at the factory. If indeed they decide to make a different specification. I tyre for ice land will be different to a tyre for Abu dabi.

I would add, that I later found them to have superb grip v wear levels, high lateral grip (corner speed) although not as much as sport maxx tt i suspect and not as planted either. Room for improvement, on noise certainly, but a good all round package with very little tram lining. Which I hate. Although the 010 Audi variant is not as stable as the MO mercededs variant, much to my annoyance. So you see, the Audi MUST have Differant chassis set up to the Mercedes that the tyre was designed for.

I later chose the MO version purely for Rim protection only. They where more stable. As MO needed replacing but weren't available I had to take 010. Less rim protection, less stable in a straight line. :(

feeutfo

« Reply #85 on: 23 September 2012, 11:06:29 »

well you might if you had his driving style... And therefor wouldn't take a tyre recommendation from Kevin or TB. We see it all the time, "what's the best tyre for the omega?" well that depends how you drive, and therefor, who you ask.

See? :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #86 on: 23 September 2012, 11:10:30 »

which submodel Opti ?

Cem. .......RE040......225/45/18. :y

never used it.. but checking the net , complaints are mostly towards wet.. however, I never see it as a test winner and  it was never in my lists..  probably its the worst of potenza family althought its a factory fit for some models (which means factories buy them cheap)..

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 23 September 2012, 11:11:14 »

D it's for exactly the reasons you explain, quite rightly, that tyre tests are useless to us. There comes a point where they are irrelevant. IMO this point was passed years ago.

That's not to say the info on tyres inaccurate or wrong in any way.

It's simply too personal a thing, but only after a certain point. TB likes a car that turns in well without under stear. I like a car that doesn't tram line and holds good corner speed. Show me the tests for these ...?

Only first hand experience is relevant after a point in experience is passed.

For your car only then? Yes?

Because you dont know how someone else drives, what state their bushes or suspension are in, heavy lpg tank over the axle or other confounding factors are. Therefore then everyone's opinion is useless to everyone else.

Seems an extremely cynical view to me, particularly as a forum's function is to share views so that others can draw on your experience to help them make an informed decision.

Which is also what these tyre tests try to do. Give you a base to start off. For eg: I buy an Omega, need to get some new tyres. where do I start? I see no harm in using tyre tests as a starting point as long as I dont blindly trust the evidence provided. Subjective owner reviews are less reliable i feel as there are even more confounding factors thrown into the mix.

I understand and agree with your point as well as TB's. Just seems excessively cynical to me. Variability is an inescapable fact of life. Even twins born from the same mother very often have different characterestics. Thus tyres made in the same factory can vary from batch to batch, affecting your perception of the tyre's performance.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

feeutfo

« Reply #88 on: 23 September 2012, 11:15:04 »

D it's for exactly the reasons you explain, quite rightly, that tyre tests are useless to us. There comes a point where they are irrelevant. IMO this point was passed years ago.

That's not to say the info on tyres inaccurate or wrong in any way.

It's simply too personal a thing, but only after a certain point. TB likes a car that turns in well without under stear. I like a car that doesn't tram line and holds good corner speed. Show me the tests for these ...?

Only first hand experience is relevant after a point in experience is passed.

For your car only then? Yes?

Because you dont know how someone else drives, what state their bushes or suspension are in, heavy lpg tank over the axle or other confounding factors are. Therefore then everyone's opinion is useless to everyone else.

Seems an extremely cynical view to me, particularly as a forum's function is to share views so that others can draw on your experience to help them make an informed decision.

Which is also what these tyre tests try to do. Give you a base to start off. For eg: I buy an Omega, need to get some new tyres. where do I start? I see no harm in using tyre tests as a starting point as long as I dont blindly trust the evidence provided. Subjective owner reviews are less reliable i feel as there are even more confounding factors thrown into the mix.

I understand and agree with your point as well as TB's. Just seems excessively cynical to me. Variability is an inescapable fact of life. Even twins born from the same mother very often have different characterestics. Thus tyres made in the same factory can vary from batch to batch, affecting your perception of the tyre's performance.

Ultimately your exactly right in that we are looking for a level of detail that's available no where else. TB believes my driving style to be similar to his (I think) we both have a saloon with irmscher suspension and LPG tank in the boot. And demand similar grip levels. Let's face it he's not going to ask Tunnie for tyre advice, is he?
There's a feel from a tyre that some drivers never encounter, never even notice. These details and level of attention can't be found in a general tyre test.

ok then,  I have a question..  do you believe that ling longs or any avg tire will perform better than potenzas on the omega ?
Nobody is suggesting tyre tests give the wrong info. Merely that the info is based on irrelevant data to omega owners, certainly beyond a cirtain point... Because they are not and can not take into account the omega, and the driving style of the owner.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 11:24:22 by chrisgixer »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #89 on: 23 September 2012, 11:16:30 »

well you might if you had his driving style... And therefor wouldn't take a tyre recommendation from Kevin or TB. We see it all the time, "what's the best tyre for the omega?" well that depends how you drive, and therefor, who you ask.

See? :)

Chris , if you expect me to accept a non scientific unproven statement against physics laws, you will wait forever..

as I told before tire depends on friction which is independent from both car and the driver..

but of  course a driver neglecting wet conditions and lower friction coefficient makes a big difference resulting with death :-\

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.