Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Price and future of Omega spare parts  (Read 999 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Price and future of Omega spare parts
« on: 28 May 2011, 12:45:27 »

I have started stripping parts off my beloved Red Omega. No going back now.

I got to thinking about the value of parts. A couple of years ago anyone dismantling a pre facelift or mfl car was deluged with requests. Now it seems to be facelift cars. Prices of parts has fallen. Lack of demand or plentiful supply?

Back in the seventies, I dismantled a lot of Mini Cooper S's. In those days you couldn't give away 1071 engines. Similarly 970 ones. Later no one even wanted the larger engines. I guess that folk moved on to much better cars. Now those same parts would be worth quite a bit I would guess if they had been stored well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Cooper-S-970cc-crankshaft-/290568842748?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a740adfc

Same with Omega parts? Will folk be lovingly restoring 3.0 Elites in 2050?  Advertising in the vain hope of finding a pair of self levelling shocks, a Bose wiring loom, heated leather seats that still work, rear blind, Irmscher body parts, Crank sensor, genuine hbv, radiator, undamaged projectors .etc

If you have the space now might be the time to lay down spare parts as a nest egg for your grandchildren? ;D ;D  What do you think?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Price and future of Omega spare parts
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2011, 13:19:51 »

Got a shed full of parts i've accumulated through owning four Omega's. Got a bad habit of buying brand new genuine parts when they appear on ebay!

Thing is, I think they will all have rusted away before the standard parts supply runs out.

tonyyeb

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2011, 14:43:48 »

I was only thinking about this this morning. I intend to keep and continue improving my 3.0 Elite, a car whose numbers on the road have fallen by more than half in just the last three years to a paltry 1551, according to the figures in a recent post on here by 51MON.

My car is currently at a garage awaiting a new rear hub flange - no local dealer seems to have one. The same was also true for genuine new VX rear springs.
I was saying to wifey this morning that I need to start laying down a stock of spare parts for this car while they're still at least in theory available, but I have very limited storage space.
Maybe what's required is a central OOF store?
Just a thought - know it wouldn't be easy to implement, but surely worth discussing, at least?

Mr Hagon

• Intermediate Member
  • South West London
  • RWD and V6; the only way to travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2011, 22:26:25 »

I seem to remember my local stealer muttering something about f/l coil packs no longer being stocked, so it's a case of finding one floating around or sourcing a Bosch or even pattern part over time.
Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.2 Estate (Mar '02) in Star Silver.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2011, 09:00:00 »

I can't see the Omega being a valuable classic in the same way as Minis tbh, the Mini was a revolutionary car in its time - many peoples' first car and holding a lot of affection (like me!).

The Omega's 'just another car' in the great scheme of things imho, we all love 'em, but no classic
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Nathan

• Intermediate Member
  • Northwood
  • Just Getting Amongst It
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2011, 18:09:25 »

I know the feeling I have

2 original 3 door COSWORTH front wings

A bootlid and bonnet (new) from a mk1 rs turbo

And a very rare RS500 front bumper and rearspoiler

I know these parts are worth a fortune and that's why I will keep hold of them for as long as possible

Happy days....  :y
Irmscher Parts Wanted...........Vehicle detailing is my passion not just a hobby....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.