Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery going flat,clock?  (Read 1901 times)

weldit

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
Battery going flat,clock?
« on: 27 July 2020, 17:39:49 »

Hi All, After coming to start my 1996 2.5d Omega after it had stood for a couple of months, the battery was absolutely stone dead, after fitting a new battery, I fitted the + lead first, then tried touching the -lead onto the - terminal, as expected, I had sparks, after a little investigation, (i had help) when I got my dad to touch the battery lead onto the - terminal, I found the clock illuminating without the key in the ignition, has anybody had this? or is it a common fault? I haven't done anything else, I thought I would ask first, Is the fault the clock or maybe a relay?

Have left the battery with the - lead off
Cheers Dave

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Battery going flat,clock?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2020, 18:13:06 »

2 months will flatten, and destroy the battery.

Its not uncommon for things to power up when power is reapplied. Start the car, reset all windows/sunroof, then check the car shuts down normally.

If leaving more than 2 weeks, either disconnect the battery or put a decent charger on it for the duration.
Grumpy old man

weldit

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2020, 00:17:55 »

I have two identical cars, both sat for the same amount of time, the other car started instantly, when touching the - lead on the battery, I can hear a clicking noise, It sounds like a relay, the noise is coming from the left glove box, I will investigate when I have time

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2020, 19:45:43 »

I have just returned from being away for two weeks. Prior going I put my Smart battery charger on the Omega which read 100% the day before Ieft. It was unlocked whilst I was away, and yesterday, a day after I got back, it was down to 60%. After a charge with the Smart charger again, it was back upto 100%.
Leaving an Omega standing with the battery connected for even a month will cause an early demise of the battery, irrespective of its 'supposed' quality, from which it will probably not fully recover.... I've never had an Omega that doesn't have a heavy drain on the battery over a short period of time if not in use.
If leaving a battery connected to an Omega that is temporarily laid up, I always trickle it every two weeks or so. It should preferably be a Smart charger rather than the older type that just blast an uncontrolled charge into it irrespective of the level of charge at the time.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2020, 13:26:54 »

Hi All, After coming to start my 1996 2.5d Omega after it had stood for a couple of months, the battery was absolutely stone dead, after fitting a new battery, I fitted the + lead first, then tried touching the -lead onto the - terminal, as expected, I had sparks, after a little investigation, (i had help) when I got my dad to touch the battery lead onto the - terminal, I found the clock illuminating without the key in the ignition, has anybody had this? or is it a common fault? I haven't done anything else, I thought I would ask first, Is the fault the clock or maybe a relay?

Have left the battery with the - lead off
Cheers Dave
If your getting sparks when connecting the Battery without Ing. on (2.5TD) then could be worth checking the Glow Plug Relay hasn't arched or pitted accross causing intermittent shorts.

You can check with a meter on the Voltage side of things or just pull the Relay.

I will try and find an old Post that may give more info for you.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2020, 13:34:35 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.