Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: L322 Rangie Problem  (Read 2687 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
L322 Rangie Problem
« on: 03 April 2023, 16:33:42 »

My Trusty 2002, 4.4 V8 Petrol Rangie, of the L322 variety.

Last week or the week before, I lent it to the good lady for 24 hours while I did a job on her car.

She sent me a message from work, saying "It's doing it's naughty dashboard thing again". (I've never seen it do anything odd).

Anyway, I had a look when she got back. There are no dash lights at all when turning the key, not the usual handbrake light, engine light - nothing illuminates. The petrol and temp gauges don't move.

When the car starts, a single ABS light comes on the dash.

I've also noticed the power steering is much heavier at slower speeds. It's still assisted, but I think it's lost it's servotronics.

I have kit that will read the various ECU's on this car, so I will try and connect to them and see what it's saying. Can't do it for a few days though, as I left it at my Uncles house when working on his car  :(

I should add, in addition to the speedo, it's not logging any miles at all

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: L322 Rangie Problem
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2023, 16:35:11 »

As a possible factor - I changed the NSF wheel the day before this happened, but didn't go anywhere near the ABS sensor or it's cable. I will, of course, visually inspect it.

I did think it sounds like an ABS sensor issue - but I know they are also prone to ABS ECU failure too.

Thankfully, it's much easier to get at, than the Omega ones!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2023, 20:53:40 »

https://youtu.be/VboSJ7aHUzs

https://youtu.be/Qi8JSbVO1WM :D

Not particularly helpful, but might raise a smile :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2023, 11:45:21 »

Like many JLR products of the era, it can get tetchy on battery condition.  If you are getting multiple, seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins on a JLR product, thats certainly a good place to start.

Fully charge it (with a good charger, not old fashioned shite that will spike it), if the issues go away, suspect the battery.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2023, 12:57:59 »

Do Lucas still produce the wiring?  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2023, 13:16:53 »

I think the early L322s had the 7 series electrics (hence its extra issues), and the BMW 4.4 incontinent lump.  I mean, just imagine, combining 1990s Range Rover reliability with BMW reliability, they never thought that one through ;D
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2023, 13:46:33 »

Maybe a complete shot in the dark , but on the RRS forum a member had a similar problem was advised to check his battery as previously mentioned ( it was brand new & okay) and also all his rear bulbs I can't remember if it was a fault with the stop & tail bulb or the number plate bulbs , however after replacing the bulb all warning messages disappeared, hope you get it sorted ,terrific vehicles when all is functioning properly, thankfully all I've had is the central locking actuator problem had them all replaced in the first 12 months of my ownership & thankfully all good ever since.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2023, 06:20:39 »

I think the early L322s had the 7 series electrics (hence its extra issues), and the BMW 4.4 incontinent lump.  I mean, just imagine, combining 1990s Range Rover reliability with BMW reliability, they never thought that one through ;D

My 4.4 v8 BMW lump is bulletproof.

I’ve had it 5 years (ish). The car has done 180k.

It’s only “mildly” incontinent. It leaks oil but not enough to require a top up in 3,000 miles.

It uses a half of pint of coolant a month. Has done ever since I’ve owned it, never got worse. Never been able to find it.

Pulls like a train and sounds divine.

Only probs I had in 5 years are:

Gearbox was going to fail safe mode on hot days or when driven hard (2018). I found the cooler was blocked, so replaced that, and the ATF. It’s been smooth as silk for 5 years and never misbehaved again.

Water pump fell to bits (2018) - changed it myself

Suspension airbag blew (2019) - changed it myself along with all front suspension.

Rear wishbones were rotten and front wheel bearing rough (2020) - that was a Serek job!

Brake lights were coming on when the car was parked (2022) - that believe it or not, was a faulty battery! Obviously fixed myself.

In my 39 years on the planet, I’ve had this Rangie longer than any other car, and I absolutely love it.

It runs on LPG just like it does on petrol. Can’t tel a jot of difference all the way to the red-line. And I’ve never touched the gas install - never even changed the filters on it  :-[ :-[

I bloody love my 21 year old V8 Rangie and I want to get her up to scratch this summer with some TLC.

I doubt my kids will ever have a 15mpg petrol V8 as a daily driver!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2023, 10:08:27 »

So we've still to find a BMW 4.4 V8 that can hold on to it's oil and coolant ;D
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2023, 10:08:43 »

My 4.4 v8 BMW lump is bulletproof.

I’ve had it 5 years (ish). The car has done 180k.

It’s only “mildly” incontinent. It leaks oil but not enough to require a top up in 3,000 miles.

It uses a half of pint of coolant a month. Has done ever since I’ve owned it, never got worse. Never been able to find it.

Pulls like a train and sounds divine.

Only probs I had in 5 years are:

Gearbox was going to fail safe mode on hot days or when driven hard (2018). I found the cooler was blocked, so replaced that, and the ATF. It’s been smooth as silk for 5 years and never misbehaved again.

Water pump fell to bits (2018) - changed it myself

Suspension airbag blew (2019) - changed it myself along with all front suspension.

Rear wishbones were rotten and front wheel bearing rough (2020) - that was a Serek job!

Brake lights were coming on when the car was parked (2022) - that believe it or not, was a faulty battery! Obviously fixed myself.

In my 39 years on the planet, I’ve had this Rangie longer than any other car, and I absolutely love it.

It runs on LPG just like it does on petrol. Can’t tel a jot of difference all the way to the red-line. And I’ve never touched the gas install - never even changed the filters on it  :-[ :-[

I bloody love my 21 year old V8 Rangie and I want to get her up to scratch this summer with some TLC.

I doubt my kids will ever have a 15mpg petrol V8 as a daily driver!

The nanny state won't allow it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2023, 10:11:04 »

I do have a soft spot for the L322, though probably post 2006ish with the first facelift.  But after regularly nicking whatever joshwyatt wasn't using, came to the sad conclusion it doesn't really fit on my drive.

LPG round these parts is rarer than rocking horse shit.  I think Gixer is currently commuting on petrol all the time now.  Thats why TBE had to go :(
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2023, 10:32:02 »

Now I'm having flashbacks of wrestling with knackered RRs and equivalent BMWs when they were new. They were better than P38s, but that's like deciding whether you want to be circumcised with an axe or hammer ::)

BMW biggest failure with Land Rover was to not use their best asset: the marketing department that persuades victims that chronic unreliability is a desirable feature(BMW) and not just something you have accept(LR)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2023, 10:43:56 »

Now I'm having flashbacks of wrestling with knackered RRs and equivalent BMWs when they were new. They were better than P38s, but that's like deciding whether you want to be circumcised with an axe or hammer ::)

BMW biggest failure with Land Rover was to not use their best asset: the marketing department that persuades victims that chronic unreliability is a desirable feature(BMW) and not just something you have accept(LR)
Ermmmmm........axe......I think 😳
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2023, 17:57:36 »

Had my L320 TDV8 almost 4 years now , only problem I've had was the central locking which my indi soon sorted now on 104,000 miles & no oil leaks + no top ups between annual service, test drove an SVR recently & was smitten but with insurance quotes at 4 times the amount I pay now it won't be going anytime soon, I've owned over 40 vehicles since 1971 and the RRS is the best of the bunch. Fuel consumption varies between 20-30mpg.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2023, 17:59:22 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2023, 19:00:15 »

Had my L320 TDV8 almost 4 years now , only problem I've had was the central locking which my indi soon sorted now on 104,000 miles & no oil leaks + no top ups between annual service, test drove an SVR recently & was smitten but with insurance quotes at 4 times the amount I pay now it won't be going anytime soon, I've owned over 40 vehicles since 1971 and the RRS is the best of the bunch. Fuel consumption varies between 20-30mpg.
If you can afford the insurance on the SVR, Mick, and I'm pretty sure you can, then go for it. It's what money is for at our time of life. Do it.
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.