Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine noise, terminal?  (Read 62328 times)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Engine noise, terminal?
« Reply #150 on: 05 March 2010, 22:03:52 »

The Stoke Heaven could be its resting place....... :(
Don't push your luck Daz!
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 05 March 2010, 22:04:07 »

The Stoke Heaven could be its resting place....... :(

I'll give you £50 for it, if you chuck in the new LPG kit  :D

Sorry Jaime, only kidding...

Can I do anything to help?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 05 March 2010, 22:05:24 »

Manifold and injectors swapped No change. :(

Plugs and leads next, I suppose. :-/

Kevin
has the ecu/loom been touched? petrol i mean.

Connections made for LPG system in petrol ECU connector. Now disconnected from LPG loom. Not impossible it has shorted something in the ECU connector, I suppose. Thing is, I don't think it's running that badly now. Certainly no misfire, idles smoothly, just this damn noise. I wonder how long it would take for oil to work its' way up to the bores and quieten them after they've had a good dousing in petrol?

Thing is, I don't want to run it for too long and risk damage. :-/

Oh, tried with MAF disconnected, BTW. No different. >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 05 March 2010, 22:21:10 »

Kevin

Connections made for LPG system in petrol ECU connector. Now disconnected from LPG loom. Not impossible it has shorted something in the ECU connector, I suppose. Thing is, I don't think it's running that badly now. Certainly no misfire, idles smoothly, just this damn noise. I wonder how long it would take for oil to work its' way up to the bores and quieten them after they've had a good dousing in petrol?

Kevin

When I had fuel wash in one of my cars the mechanic removed all plugs and used a syringe and placed 10ml of engine oil down each plug hole, then allowed to settle for a few minutes, cranked engine for 10 seconds with plugs still removed to allow oil to cover bores again, and excess to be expelled via plug hole and exhaust valves.
After this plugs replaced and fired car up, piston knock went almost immediately.

You could try that :-)

nell77

• manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 05 March 2010, 22:35:45 »

or use a long screw driver hold it to the rocker bolts while the engine is running then put your ear onto the end of the screw driver and this amplifies the sound keep moving the screwdriver to different points and see if the sound gets louder. I done it today on mine and it sounds like the cam shaft or rockers on the exhaust cam drivers side

feeutfo

« Reply #155 on: 05 March 2010, 22:40:13 »

Kevin

Kevin

When I had fuel wash in one of my cars the mechanic removed all plugs and used a syringe and placed 10ml of engine oil down each plug hole, then allowed to settle for a few minutes, cranked engine for 10 seconds with plugs still removed to allow oil to cover bores again, and excess to be expelled via plug hole and exhaust valves.
After this plugs replaced and fired car up, piston knock went almost immediately.

was going to suggest something similar, 2 stroke oil or something, just to see if the noise goes, not sure how the cats will take it though, and dont want to hydro lock the cylinder, assuming we're talking about one pot?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #156 on: 05 March 2010, 23:39:47 »

Hmmm, could we be looking at engine damage due to borewash - I'd be surprised given that its only run briefly, and at idle.

Is this the end  :'( ?

Not till the fat lady sings... get the head off if yo run out of options, for a look..

agreed..will be quicker than trial errors..

feeutfo

« Reply #157 on: 05 March 2010, 23:47:33 »

Hmmm, could we be looking at engine damage due to borewash - I'd be surprised given that its only run briefly, and at idle.

Is this the end  :'( ?

Not till the fat lady sings... get the head off if yo run out of options, for a look..

agreed..will be quicker than trial errors..
bore scope would save all that presumably? :-/
« Last Edit: 05 March 2010, 23:48:13 by chrisgixer »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 05 March 2010, 23:50:44 »

Kevin

Kevin

was going to suggest something similar, 2 stroke oil or something, just to see if the noise goes, not sure how the cats will take it though, and dont want to hydro lock the cylinder, assuming we're talking about one pot?

No problem if the engine is spun on the starter. Any excess will get blown out and you need a lot to hydrolock a pot anyway.

It will certainly get plenty of lubrication when the plugs come out.

IIRC the bores are only lubricated by splash (no piston jets) on this engine so may take a while to recover. Especially with cold, gloopy oil.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 06 March 2010, 00:38:31 »

TBH, it's 99.99% certain there is no FOD or "mechanical" fault within the head/cylinder in question due to the fact it turns over quietly/normally so perhaps the suggestion of forcing oil into the bores is worth a go... Can't see it doing any harm :-/ :-/

Didn't do camcovers or anything else other than plugs did you? :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #160 on: 06 March 2010, 07:12:46 »

similar noise here

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm

not as loud or intant though :-/
« Last Edit: 06 March 2010, 07:24:08 by chrisgixer »

feeutfo

« Reply #161 on: 06 March 2010, 07:27:08 »

TBH, it's 99.99% certain there is no FOD or "mechanical" fault within the head/cylinder in question due to the fact it turns over quietly/normally so perhaps the suggestion of forcing oil into the bores is worth a go... Can't see it doing any harm :-/ :-/

Didn't do camcovers or anything else other than plugs did you? :-/
no just plugs and lpg related work.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 06 March 2010, 08:25:39 »

Is this MV6 a 3.0 or 3.2? (or is it a hybrid 3.0 with 3.2 manifolds?).

Having been used to a 2.5 with cast iron manifolds it came as shock to hear the first few firing pulses resonating through steel manifolds when my 2.6 starts.

I find it easy to believe that a misfire could make a deceptively nasty noise if you have the steel manifolds.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

feeutfo

« Reply #163 on: 06 March 2010, 08:36:02 »

Is this MV6 a 3.0 or 3.2? (or is it a hybrid 3.0 with 3.2 manifolds?).

Having been used to a 2.5 with cast iron manifolds it came as shock to hear the first few firing pulses resonating through steel manifolds when my 2.6 starts.

I find it easy to believe that a misfire could make a deceptively nasty noise if you have the steel manifolds.
its a 3.0, not aware of any mods. I'v hurd my old 2.5 miss fire with violent vibration, didn't sound like this.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 06 March 2010, 09:28:46 »

Kevin Wood had another look last night, with the LPG injector loom removed.  Noise still present  :'(

If you can play it (I can't) noise is:

http://images.omegaowners.com/images/kevin/theboy-engine.flac

Just found some speakers and had a listen.

I might have cloth ears but all I can hear is a slightly wheezy V6 with dry cam followers. No missfire. No noise from steel exhaust manifolds.

If you were a new member I would be asking the usual questions (is there oil in the sump, when was it last changed, do you have oil pressure? have you done anything to stir up crud in the sump?)

My 200,000 mile 2.5 used to sound like that for 10-15 seconds when started in freezing weather so I switched to 5w30 oil and the lifters seemed much happier. ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.