Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smashed window  (Read 1334 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Smashed window
« on: 31 January 2007, 23:24:26 »

Not the Omega - Some yobs broke the sliding-door windows on my wife’s MPV.  :'(

Not the first time, a couple of years ago some kids broke the front side window and went off with a toy mobile phone (!).  :o

We have no idea why they broke the window this time, we had the car from new (1997) but it is now getting on a bit, looks like the garden shed with contents to match… mostly the kids stuff, half-chewed old sandwiched, etc…

There was nothing of value, or anything we could tell missing... in fact, after the first broken window, my wide took to the habit of leaving the car unlocked at night, based on the premise that if someone wanted to have a go at it they might as well just open the door and not break a window… but she had to stop that after we discovered one morning a homeless person sleeping in it (he was actually an otherwise decent lad from Ireland, but that’s another story).

So I got Autoglass to come tomorrow and sort this out (our cost £75, the rest picked up by the insurance)…

Not a nice thing, we still occasionally find in the car pieces of glass of the first smash, it’s impossible to get rid of them…  >:(

What if they do this to the Omega?  :(

« Last Edit: 31 January 2007, 23:25:12 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
Re: Smashed window
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2007, 23:27:47 »

Barstewards  >:(
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2007, 06:50:34 »

Not a nice thing, we still occasionally find in the car pieces of glass of the first smash, it’s impossible to get rid of them…  >:(

What if they do this to the Omega?  :(

Had it done to mine, smashed window......found a piece of broken glass only the other day....and it must be 6 months ago now  >:(

I would say it was my own fault.....but theres nothing that says just because i forget and leave my sat nav in the car that you have to break in and nick it  >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2007, 08:47:23 »

Bastards  >:(
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2007, 09:03:35 »

Thanks for all those who replied..

We often see youth passing by either walking or cycling, looking into each parked car, and we know that they are marking targets… my wife spoke to the police about this once, and they said that they were aware of this but there was nothing they could do because these kids did not break any law.

The police might also take the view that petty crimes are part of modern urban life, and that they do not have the resources to tackle every smashed window, and that people should take care of their own property, etc etc, but I think they got it all wrong...

OK, so no one was hurt and the damage is only £75 – but this is not the issue… the issue is that a teen who breaks car windows at 14-15 is unlikely to become a law-abiding adult later in life. No one is born a bank robber, or drug dealer, or mugger… they all start small and not tackling the problem at this age is what eventually leads to the overcrowding of the prison population.

« Last Edit: 01 February 2007, 09:04:21 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2007, 16:13:52 »

Ba**ards
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2007, 17:56:51 »

Thanks for all those who replied..

We often see youth passing by either walking or cycling, looking into each parked car, and we know that they are marking targets… my wife spoke to the police about this once, and they said that they were aware of this but there was nothing they could do because these kids did not break any law.

The police might also take the view that petty crimes are part of modern urban life, and that they do not have the resources to tackle every smashed window, and that people should take care of their own property, etc etc, but I think they got it all wrong...

OK, so no one was hurt and the damage is only £75 – but this is not the issue… the issue is that a teen who breaks car windows at 14-15 is unlikely to become a law-abiding adult later in life. No one is born a bank robber, or drug dealer, or mugger… they all start small and not tackling the problem at this age is what eventually leads to the overcrowding of the prison population.

couldn't agree more a number of social experiments in the past have shown that the zero tolerance approach reeps rewards
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2007, 18:17:42 »

You'd be suprised sometimes.....i reported my broken window at 9am on a sat morning.....by 9.20am forensics van had turned looking for prints.....but didnt find any they could lift...but even if they had....ummm its a taxi.....maybe one or two thousand  ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2007, 21:01:37 »

You're a big bloke Markjay - you could find the biggest one casing cars and tell him that you're on to him and to break off to another street or probably better to say nowt, and keep your car well lit instead  :(

Bad luck about the window  >:(
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2007, 22:36:41 »

You're a big bloke Markjay - you could find the biggest one casing cars and tell him that you're on to him and to break off to another street or probably better to say nowt, and keep your car well lit instead...

I live in a wide well-lit street. Yet these kids just do what they like and no one confronts them. Last time it happened, one of the neighbours told us he saw them break the window and grab the phone (which was a toy mobile phone!) – it was at 13:00 in the afternoon – they couldn’t care less.

Some time ago I went to see a customer near Waterloo, I parked in a back street and the customer said it was a bad place to park because they had lots of problems with kids breaking into cars. I suggested that surely they could do something, e.g. CCTV outside the building to cover the street etc – he said that one of the guys working there actually caught a couple of kids breaking into his car, he managed to grab hold of them and took them to the local police station. He later had a call from the police, he thought they wanted more details from him, but instead he was told by the officer that the police managed to convince the parents of the kids not to pursue assault allegations against him. There was no question of anything being done to the kids…
« Last Edit: 01 February 2007, 22:37:49 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2007, 22:46:41 »

You're a big bloke Markjay - you could find the biggest one casing cars and tell him that you're on to him and to break off to another street or probably better to say nowt, and keep your car well lit instead...

I live in a wide well-lit street. Yet these kids just do what they like and no one confronts them. Last time it happened, one of the neighbours told us he saw them break the window and grab the phone (which was a toy mobile phone!) – it was at 13:00 in the afternoon – they couldn’t care less.

Some time ago I went to see a customer near Waterloo, I parked in a back street and the customer said it was a bad place to park because they had lots of problems with kids breaking into cars. I suggested that surely they could do something, e.g. CCTV outside the building to cover the street etc – he said that one of the guys working there actually caught a couple of kids breaking into his car, he managed to grab hold of them and took them to the local police station. He later had a call from the police, he thought they wanted more details from him, but instead he was told by the officer that the police managed to convince the parents of the kids not to pursue assault allegations against him. There was no question of anything being done to the kids…

That is why one of them has to be hospitalised with no witnesses

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2007, 22:47:31 »

In the press today a Chip Shop owner had his window smashed and saw the lad that did it later in the day.  He and his son grabbed him and kept him in the shop for 6 minutes until the police arrived.  HE was charged with KIDNAPPING by the CPS  >:( 5 hearings later and the judge threw it out of court - lucky for him for all the wrong reasons.  :-/ So as I say best to do nowt and hope for the best  :-X
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2007, 01:52:59 »

i hear the local vigilantes have got a "bait car" about. i hear its full of big snakes just waiting for their bait to come along.....
oh how i wished it was true......
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2007, 06:40:25 »

typical barstewards, same thing happened to me a few years back, smashed windscreen, caught the kid etc., etc.,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.