Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 3912 times)

Phil

• View Profile
Oil
« on: 19 February 2007, 12:08:00 »

Right, i use 0W 40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic, its my choice i like it thats why i use it, im not changing so deal with it.  :)

I normally buy it from Costco for £21 incl VAT for 4 litres, currently they are out of stock.

I went to hellfarts to get 1 ltr to keep me going, but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and i'm not paying that.

They do have own brand and Castrol Fully synth 0W 40.

What i want to know is would there be a problem with using a different brand to top up?

I understand mixing types i.e. 10w and 0w is a no no , but what about brands??

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2007, 12:11:24 »

Is this an oil thread ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2007, 12:15:01 »

but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and  ......

:o How much? I wouldn't be able to carry £45 worth of Vx's Trade Club semi-synthetic!  ;)

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2007, 12:20:18 »

Is this an oil thread ::)

No, its a chemistry question about mixing brands

but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and  ......

:o How much? I wouldn't be able to carry £45 worth of Vx's Trade Club semi-synthetic!  ;)

Thats why i didnt buy it. I use fully synth so it doesnt realy matter how much semi you can carry.

Not bothered if i can get a different brand cheaper just want to know if itll cause any problems mixing it with Mobil 1

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2007, 12:24:33 »

Should be ok in reality......or just buy a litre from here:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/mobil.aspx

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2007, 14:16:42 »

Right, an oil thread then….  :)

Firstly, I do the same, i.e. buy Mobil1 0W-40 from Costco.  :y

Secondly, all engine oils of the same grade can be mixed, it is en essential requirement that they do, even mineral with full-synth etc. However while no adverse chemical reaction will occur, using a ‘lesser’ oil obviously degrades the performance of the oil in the system.

Your options are to either fork-out for 1L of Mobil1 from Halfords or any Esso Petrol Station for around £13 (which is what I did when I last needed a top-up…), maybe cheaper from Opie Oils, or, if you really don’t want to pay that, get Halfords own-brand full-synth – Both my local Vx Parts Manager and Honest John claim that because Mobil makes both Esso Ultron and Mobil1 they are very similar oils, and apparently Halfords own-brand is Esso Ultron…

And last, where about are you? If you are local to me (London Kings Cross area) I have some left-over Mobil1 – Costco sell it in 4L containers and the V6 only takes 5.5L, don’t mind lending you a bit for top-up…

Alas, no more Omegas....

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2007, 14:55:28 »

Right, i use 0W 40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic, its my choice i like it thats why i use it, im not changing so deal with it.  :)

I normally buy it from Costco for £21 incl VAT for 4 litres, currently they are out of stock.

I went to hellfarts to get 1 ltr to keep me going, but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and i'm not paying that.

They do have own brand and Castrol Fully synth 0W 40.

What i want to know is would there be a problem with using a different brand to top up?

I understand mixing types i.e. 10w and 0w is a no no , but what about brands??

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up.
Try OPIE oils i use them all the time and i'm more than happy with their service.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2007, 15:06:39 »

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up....

(deep breath) ... (silence) .... (sigh) ... and what exactly is wrong with using 0W-40 oil then?
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2007, 15:30:58 »

will be fine using different brands...and i guess thats all you want to know  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2007, 15:35:27 »

Right, an oil thread then….  :)

Firstly, I do the same, i.e. buy Mobil1 0W-40 from Costco.  :y

Secondly, all engine oils of the same grade can be mixed, it is en essential requirement that they do, even mineral with full-synth etc. However while no adverse chemical reaction will occur, using a ‘lesser’ oil obviously degrades the performance of the oil in the system.

Your options are to either fork-out for 1L of Mobil1 from Halfords or any Esso Petrol Station for around £13 (which is what I did when I last needed a top-up…), maybe cheaper from Opie Oils, or, if you really don’t want to pay that, get Halfords own-brand full-synth – Both my local Vx Parts Manager and Honest John claim that because Mobil makes both Esso Ultron and Mobil1 they are very similar oils, and apparently Halfords own-brand is Esso Ultron…

And last, where about are you? If you are local to me (London Kings Cross area) I have some left-over Mobil1 – Costco sell it in 4L containers and the V6 only takes 5.5L, don’t mind lending you a bit for top-up…

Thanks for the offer, i'm in south west Essex, near the Dartford bridge/ QE2 tunnel, so not a million miles away, but seeing as it seems ok to mix different manufactures oil, and it is only a 1/2 ltr or so top up i'll give the Hellfarts own brand ago and wait for Costco to get some more in  :)

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up.

As i said at the start this wasnt about what type of oil i was using, just if it could be mixed. The V6 is designed to use oil and therefore will need topping up no matter what grade you use.

« Last Edit: 19 February 2007, 15:38:17 by Phil »

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2007, 15:36:48 »

will be fine using different brands...and i guess thats all you want to know  :y

Basically yes

Cheers  :y

If someone wants to close this now its fine by me  :)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2007, 16:47:16 »

Thanks for the offer, i'm in south west Essex, near the Dartford bridge/ QE2 tunnel, so not a million miles away, but seeing as it seems ok to mix different manufactures oil, and it is only a 1/2 ltr or so top up i'll give the Hellfarts own brand ago and wait for Costco to get some more in  :)

It's a near miss then...  ;D

I am in Gillingham today, will be driving back into London on the M2/A2 passing M25 junction near the crossing at around 18:00-19:00 today... BUT I don't carry the oil with me.... ;D

Next time maybe.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2007, 17:30:50 »

It's a near miss then...  ;D

I am in Gillingham today, will be driving back into London on the M2/A2 passing M25 junction near the crossing at around 18:00-19:00 today... BUT I don't carry the oil with me.... ;D

Next time maybe.

A very near miss as i'm working in Northfleet, and just about to head for said M25/ A2 juction  :)

Thank again for the offer  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2007, 18:59:10 »

The V6 is designed to use oil and therefore will need topping up no matter what grade you use.
Oh dear, my MV6 must be faulty then ::) ;)
Grumpy old man

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2007, 23:59:38 »

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up....

(deep breath) ... (silence) .... (sigh) ... and what exactly is wrong with using 0W-40 oil then?
By about 60% i'm taking the piss as you can see. But at about 40% and having never owned a V6 that uses oil i think that the 0W40 is too thin at cold start for the engine.
other than that the mobil1 is pretty crap oil given the price. My mates TypeR used to burn about 0.8 liter every 1000miles with the 0W40 funny enough this stopped when he started using a different oil and exactly the same happened with my other friends Mr2 turbo(325bhp). What is the point using an expensive oil that is in my opinion worse than the VX fully synth?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2007, 01:36:29 »

What is the point using an expensive oil that is in my opinion worse than the VX fully synth?
Cos Mobile 1 is a 'name'! Same as people like to pay a furtune for their diesel(sp?) jeans etc etc

I'll go & get my coat!!  :-?
« Last Edit: 20 February 2007, 01:36:51 by Andy_B »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2007, 09:54:30 »

I read somewhere that someone's contesting Mobil's description of the oil as fully synthetic, claiming it contains mineral stock.

But its price is more indicative of clever marketing and trading on a name than the composition of the oil.

I used to use it religiously but then I got to thinking that I've never had an issue with engine wear with any car anyway (Including my kit car with a 200 BHP tuned Ford Zetec). They normally get tatty, go rusty or I get bored with them before engine condition becomes an issue. I just find a decent value fully synthetic oil (Currently Chevron oil from Costco looks good - 50 quid for 20 litres) and change it regularly.

You can also look at it from the point of view that if you're going to change your oil yourself it costs you nothing to do so you might as well do it more regularly than the 20k Vx now recommend. You then don't need a premium quality oil that lasts for ages.

Anyway.. This is becoming an Oil thread... Must resist...

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2007, 09:56:54 »

Well we do agree on one thing - an Omega does not need anything more than Vx Semi-Synth changed every 3k-5k.

Higher-spec oil could make sense if one was to stick to Vx specified 10k or 20k oil changes, but this is not recommended anyway so no point in spending money on oil that would have lasted for another xxxx miles after you drained it!

I disagree with your observations regarding Mobil1 being 'crap oil' - true, the oil spec is way OTT for the Omega and it is overpriced as well (definitely so at £13 per Litre in Petrol Stations, but even at the reduced Costo prices of around £24 per 4L), however being overpriced does not make it 'crap'...

I also disagree with 0W oil causing oil consumtion on the Omega - regadless of your friends' experience with other type of cars. Been using it on mine with no ill effects.

OK, next. What type of petrol do you use.....?  ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2007, 10:15:47 »

I read somewhere that someone's contesting Mobil's description of the oil as fully synthetic, claiming it contains mineral stock.

But its price is more indicative of clever marketing and trading on a name than the composition of the oil....

Sigh.....

See:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1165427260

:) :) :)

Alas, no more Omegas....

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2007, 10:32:51 »

I did suggest this was locked a few replies ago to avoid this starting a your using the wrong oil thread.  ::)

as i said at the start i use a particular type of oil and nothing anyone here says will make me change it, the question was can different brands be mixed, i received a satisfactory reply so no further replys needed.  :y

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2007, 16:04:47 »

Well we do agree on one thing - an Omega does not need anything more than Vx Semi-Synth changed every 3k-5k.

Higher-spec oil could make sense if one was to stick to Vx specified 10k or 20k oil changes, but this is not recommended anyway so no point in spending money on oil that would have lasted for another xxxx miles after you drained it!

I disagree with your observations regarding Mobil1 being 'crap oil' - true, the oil spec is way OTT for the Omega and it is overpriced as well (definitely so at £13 per Litre in Petrol Stations, but even at the reduced Costo prices of around £24 per 4L), however being overpriced does not make it 'crap'...

I also disagree with 0W oil causing oil consumtion on the Omega - regadless of your friends' experience with other type of cars. Been using it on mine with no ill effects.

The mobil one is not famous for its shear stability. From what i remember its a hydrocracked blend with a bit of PAO which means that there is one way of achieving the 0w40, pack it with VI improver additive(Polymer). The polymer molecules expand when the oil is hot to give the viscocity rating required and then they contract with cold weather.
This works fine when the oil is new but as it gets old the polymer molecules break down and then the 0w40 becomes 0w20 within few thousand miles.  If it was a full PAO based or ester based oil then it would be superb but lets face it the Mobil 1 is a marketing achievement rather than a superb oil. I'm not trying to stop you using it though i'm just educating the fellow readers. Also the polymer additives tend to react with Zinc additive which is the primary friction reducing element in the oil, causing sludge so oil people tend to trade off.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2007, 16:32:15 »

The mobil one is not famous for its shear stability. From what i remember its a hydrocracked blend with a bit of PAO which means that there is one way of achieving the 0w40, pack it with VI improver additive(Polymer). The polymer molecules expand when the oil is hot to give the viscocity rating required and then they contract with cold weather.
This works fine when the oil is new but as it gets old the polymer molecules break down and then the 0w40 becomes 0w20 within few thousand miles.  If it was a full PAO based or ester based oil then it would be superb but lets face it the Mobil 1 is a marketing achievement rather than a superb oil. I'm not trying to stop you using it though i'm just educating the fellow readers. Also the polymer additives tend to react with Zinc additive which is the primary friction reducing element in the oil, causing sludge so oil people tend to trade off.

The paragraph below is from Honest John:
‘The most stable products on the market and those which are being chosen by manufacturers for extended service are fully synthetic PAO (PolyAlphaOlefin). This includes Castrol SLX, Esso Ultron and Mobil 1. These products are extremely stable in extremes of performance….’

I go by what the Honest John website says, though I will not be surprised if you quoted from elsewhere on the Internet saying the opposite... as none of us have a chem lab at home to test the oil, we are bound to believe what we want off the Internet.... as I said I find the info above plausible and supported by other websites.

..anyone here working for Mobile who can settle this issue...?  ;D

but this is from my point of view an academic discussion, I don't think Omegas actually benefit from exepnsive full-synth POA oils.

Also, Mark DTM suggested that Vx own-brand is made by Fuchs. If this is the case then the Vx oil is A+, since Fuchs is used as OE oil for most prestige German marks when the cars leave the factory.

So my practical advice to any newbie out there would be get Vx oil, either semi or full synth, you can't go wrong as long as it is changed at 3-5k intervals.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2007, 18:20:21 »

I have this theory....as my 2.2 goes through a litre every 8k......there are 4.5 L in it......therefore every 36k miles it had all its oil changed.....do you think i should change the filter at this point as well  :D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2007, 18:58:33 »

I have this theory....as my 2.2 goes through a litre every 8k......there are 4.5 L in it......therefore every 36k miles it had all its oil changed.....do you think i should change the filter at this point as well  :D
Nah just rinse it in the bath and reuse. Oil filters aren't a service item with todays modern engine design. ;D ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2007, 21:06:47 »

Nah just rinse it in the bath and reuse. Oil filters aren't a service item with todays modern engine design. ;D ;D

Just take it out.... saves you worrying about replacing it.

Also, removing it improves performance - it is called the 'free-flow' design...  ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.