Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Some smut.  (Read 5020 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Some smut.
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2021, 13:32:43 »

Worst car for rust I've ever owned was a 1976 Cortina 2000e & it filled with water every time it rained.

The front wings went rusty early on my MK3 Cortina but I don't recall mine actually leaking. Then again it had no wheel arch liners so the mud and crap accumulated in the top corner of the front wings. I had to replace the wings on mine. My SD1 was just as bad for rust, but it was the door bottoms and rear wheel arch that suffered on those, as the SD1 doors didn't drain properly.
Both of these cars were second hand though, so I sort of expected it. My dads Japanese cars were brand new, and he didn't expect such rot within a couple of years. The philosophy was, buy Japanese, keep it for four or five years as it will be reliable and then throw it away before it disintegrated and start again. By contrast, I had my 3.0S Capri, purchased at around two years old, for about six years and it had no visible rust on it.   :-\  The guy that bought it off me kept it as a collectors car, I just wish I had.  :-[  ::)

Where you Bodie or Doyle? :D

I had a girlfriend who owned the later 2.8i. This one came with the 5 speed box and was unimpressive. Piss poor bottom end torque combined with tall gearing made the car feel lethargic. Looked great though.

The old V6 Essex lump may have been agricultural but at least it had some low end heft.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2021, 13:44:23 »

Always fancied a 2.8 Capri but had to make do with the Granada wasn't a bad vehicle but had a great thirst !
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2021, 13:55:25 »

Always fancied a 2.8 Capri but had to make do with the Granada wasn't a bad vehicle but had a great thirst !

The Granada had a decent boot space though.  :y  I towed a small camping trailer with my Capri when we went camping and one time when we were away on holiday my brother-in-law and family visited. On the day we packed up to leave he suggested putting what he could in his Granada boot to ease our load. I towed a practically empty trailer home, he got the lot in there.   ;D
Compared to the Capri, the Granada boot seemed massive.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2021, 14:05:10 »

I had a girlfriend who owned the later 2.8i. This one came with the 5 speed box and was unimpressive. Piss poor bottom end torque combined with tall gearing made the car feel lethargic. Looked great though.

The old V6 Essex lump may have been agricultural but at least it had some low end heft.

They have very similar acceleration; the slightly quicker 2.8i also has a higher top speed which are both down to its ability to rev. If you remove the 2.8i rev limiter it's easy to over rev one. It doesn't have the power to use the fifth gear for a higher speed though. The 3.0l is mechanically limited by it's camshaft, valve train and inlet manifold, anything over 5000rpm requires time, ear plugs and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy. You'll also be resetting the valve clearances all the time.

Both cars use the same 3.02 diff ratio, and the four speed 2.8i used the same gearbox as a 3.0l. Fitting the 3.44 diff from a 2.0l car improves the drivability of the 2.8, and the fifth gear means you keep most of the cruising ability. The same diff in a 3.0l ruins the whole car; 1/4 mile time, in gear acceleration and fuel economy all get worse. The four speed boxes are unbreakable, the T9 five-speed is barely up to a hard driven Pinto, V6s kill them in no time.

Another reason the 2.8 'feels' slower is due to K-jet's slow throttle response. I've written before it feels as if the throttle cable is made from knicker elastic.

Both engines are big, heavy, thirsty and lacking in durability. That last one is mostly down to the nylon timing gear and weak oil pump drive.

A 2.8i is a better car all round; it has suspension that works, a better interior(it's a mix of the Ghia and S specs) and is built into the later, better built bodyshell. That's probably a moot point these days, as any Capri that isn't a five figure car will need all the usual welding; sills, arches, floors, front spring hangers, rear roof posts, windscreen corners, wings, front and rear valences, A-pillars and inner wings. Some of the five figure cars will need much of that work done again, but properly.

I like Capris a lot, but a mildly tweaked 2.0l is a much better car both to own and drive.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 March 2021, 14:14:57 »

I had my 3.0S Capri

Were you Bodie or Doyle? :D

;D ;D

The Professionals did influence the choice of car, which is why it HAD to be a 3.0S and not one of the smaller engines or a Ghia.  :y
Rangie must have been George Cowley in his Granada.  :)
I agree, the 5 speed 2.8 Capri did seem lethargic compared to the original 4 speed, which was fairly similarly matched to the 3.0S in terms of get up and go. My mate sent his 4 speed 2.8 to Turbo Technics and it was quick, very quick back then.  :y
That car still holds a place in my heart.  :y  I've still got my Capri Club International card, which I occasionally use as an ice scraper.  ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 March 2021, 14:40:12 »

A mate of mine in 1970 had a MK 2 Cortina Savage 3 litre V6 absolutely stunning car reg was HTF 12F it was still around a few years back.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 March 2021, 14:49:38 »

They have very similar acceleration; the slightly quicker 2.8i also has a higher top speed which are both down to its ability to rev. If you remove the 2.8i rev limiter it's easy to over rev one. It doesn't have the power to use the fifth gear for a higher speed though. The 3.0l is mechanically limited by it's camshaft, valve train and inlet manifold, anything over 5000rpm requires time, ear plugs and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy. You'll also be resetting the valve clearances all the time.

Both cars use the same 3.02 diff ratio, and the four speed 2.8i used the same gearbox as a 3.0l. Fitting the 3.44 diff from a 2.0l car improves the drivability of the 2.8, and the fifth gear means you keep most of the cruising ability. ...............

I'm sure my MK3 3.0S had the 3.09:1 diff, same as the original 4 speed 2.8.   :y  I sheared a tooth out of the crown wheel on mine and suffered lock up when the planet wheel and crown wheel didn't mesh.  ::)
I fitted the same ratio replacement diff from a 2.8 4 speed and the foil tag on both definitely said 3.09.  :y  The guy that sold it to me from Capri Club International had swapped his for a slip diff.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 March 2021, 18:42:34 »

Sadly the only Capri I actually owned was a 1974(M) 1.6 XL.

White with a seventies BVR. Cambelt failure cost me £100 to repair, which was probably as much as the car was worth in 1989/90

Luckily the belt failure didn't damage the engine. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 March 2021, 19:26:52 »

White with a seventies BVR. Cambelt failure cost me £100 to repair, which was probably as much as the car was worth in 1989/90

That would make it a facelift Mk1, which would have been worth a bit more than £100 in 89.

I paid £25 for the petrol in a '79 1.6GL in 1991, and got the car for free. Which was about what it was worth, as it had a badly fitted gold wing(the car was dark green) and a knackered engine. A 2.0l engine from a mk4 Cortina was £75. 2 weeks after buying the car I did 2000 miles in it in France. Over the following 5 years, I used it everyday doing 500miles a week during the spring and summer and going to every RWYB I could afford. It must have done 1000 1/4 mile passes in that time, which meant having to replace the axle.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 March 2021, 21:28:02 »

Although I've never owned either[but driven plenty of miles in both] the manta was a better car than the Capri but of course to get a "big" engine you had to go for a Monza rather than Manta.My coupe of choice way back then was an Alfa GTV6,although I did later have a Monza.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 March 2021, 21:53:34 »

I liked my Mk2 V6 Granadas, and although the T9 box is made of cheese, replacing it was more than covered by the fuel saving... Both my five speeds 2.3 carb and 2.8i used to regularly see 28mpg... The four speed 2.3 used to struggle to better 18, and the 2.8 carb auto never managed 15, even on a run :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 March 2021, 15:57:14 »

That would make it a facelift Mk1, which would have been worth a bit more than £100 in 89.

I paid £25 for the petrol in a '79 1.6GL in 1991, and got the car for free. Which was about what it was worth, as it had a badly fitted gold wing(the car was dark green) and a knackered engine. A 2.0l engine from a mk4 Cortina was £75. 2 weeks after buying the car I did 2000 miles in it in France. Over the following 5 years, I used it everyday doing 500miles a week during the spring and summer and going to every RWYB I could afford. It must have done 1000 1/4 mile passes in that time, which meant having to replace the axle.

Following the remap by Viezu the Tata set a best of 12.1/120.....A pretty high terminal taken from a pretty slow time. If it had 4WD and some form of launch control to dump all 570 BHP against I reckon it would get into the high elevens.

Initial traction is the main problem. :-X
« Last Edit: 17 March 2021, 16:03:45 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 March 2021, 18:57:34 »

Following the remap by Viezu the Tata set a best of 12.1/120.....A pretty high terminal taken from a pretty slow time. If it had 4WD and some form of launch control to dump all 570 BHP against I reckon it would get into the high elevens.

Launch control would probably have helped; I doubt 4WD would. A good launch with a powerful car is to just overpower the tyres, while keeping the engine spinning. 4WD tends to just bog the engine, assuming that the transmission stays together.

My Capri would do 17.1/77mph all day. I didn't matter if the clutch was slipped in at 2500rpm, or sidestepped. Then rev to 7000rpm in the first three gears, selecting fourth as you cross the line.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 March 2021, 21:23:53 »

1/4 mile runs are just a pissing contest, much like 0-60 or 0-150.

The true test is from 30-50, or 50-70.

Basically, real world need for speed. Overtaking a Honda Jazz on a NSL road as an example.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 March 2021, 07:54:37 »

1/4 mile runs are just a pissing contest, much like 0-60 or 0-150.

The true test OF A ROAD CAR is from 30-50, or 50-70.

Basically, real world need for speed. Overtaking a Honda Jazz on a NSL road as an example.

Corrected that for you.

1/4 mile times are a much more useful comparison than 0-60 times, as the start is even more critical to get a good time and terminal speed in a short distance. The speed is the easy part - plenty of power is the key - as Opti's times show. But a less powerful  car optimised to launch well will run faster times at lower speeds, which is the interesting part. Let's not forget; we're talking about drag racing, which like all sports is a largely pointless activity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.