Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Failing Electric ‘toys’ Advice please

(1/3) > >>

Malcolm_D:
02 plate 2.6 Elite - body is good, looks really nice, engine is great, lovely to drive, but I don’t know what to do about the failing interior electric ‘toys’.

The driver’s heated seat stopped working years ago - I can live without it.

The CD unit has packed in, CD cartridge is stuck inside, the single slot will not read a CD. The radio still works and I have wired in a 3mm jack to connect a phone / mp3 device. Not the end of the world if you believe that CDs are becoming obsolete?

The real pain is that I have now lost the colour display screen in the dash!  :'( No clock, no consumption date, no radio channel data etc. I currently have a Tomtom covering the screen so at least I have a clock!

Any achievable suggestions to resolve these issues? What would you do? :-\

addy:
Check wiring to display. I think the ribbon cable causes problemsThe radio I would remove, open it and remove the cd cartridge. But most people remove the original radio, for a new double din style. I think there are kits available that allow you to still use the steering wheel, controls?

Andy H:
If you swap the head unit out for something aftermarket you won't be able to control the screen even if it was still working.

Your best option is probably to get a screen (and instrument stalk) from a lesser/non NCDC car. That will give you a working clock and all the warning messages (once you sort out the wiring) and leave you free to fit a double din headunit of your choice.

VXL V6:

--- Quote from: addy on 07 May 2021, 08:46:44 ---Check wiring to display. I think the ribbon cable causes problemsThe radio I would remove, open it and remove the cd cartridge. But most people remove the original radio, for a new double din style. I think there are kits available that allow you to still use the steering wheel, controls?

--- End quote ---

It's an Elite so will have Bose, this means swapping out the headunit will be a little more involved.

Andy H:

--- Quote from: VXL V6 on 07 May 2021, 13:52:00 ---
--- Quote from: addy on 07 May 2021, 08:46:44 ---Check wiring to display. I think the ribbon cable causes problemsThe radio I would remove, open it and remove the cd cartridge. But most people remove the original radio, for a new double din style. I think there are kits available that allow you to still use the steering wheel, controls?

--- End quote ---

It's an Elite so will have Bose, this means swapping out the headunit will be a little more involved.

--- End quote ---
I swapped out the Bose headunit on my Elite. There is a multipin connector in the drivers footwell that connects to a fat bundle of cables that go to the Bose amplifier in the boot. I got hold of a scrap loom & plug and linked the appropriate pins so I could remove the Bose gubbins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version