Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1999 CDX SAT-NAV question  (Read 5600 times)

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
1999 CDX SAT-NAV question
« on: 11 December 2007, 11:12:29 »

Hiya,

I became the proud owner of a 1999 2.0l 16V CDX last night.

It has the CCRT700 stereo.

There is a lead lying in the boot with a black multi plug and a mini coax connector on it.

It seems to come around the back of the windscreen and hangs loose on the left rear of the boot.

Is this a pre-wire for a sat-nav ? I ask because the handbook pack has a sat nav manual in it and I was wondering if it had been removed.

Would the display used for the radio/telephone be the display for a factory sat-nav (Carin)

Could I retrofit it or not ?

Cheers Guys

Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 CDX SAT-NAV question
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2007, 11:59:48 »

I think it's likely to be the pre-wiring for a phone kit as in all Omegas. Think of it as an extra on top of the CCRT700   ;). My car is an Elite & came with the CCRT700 as standard, I suspect yours was fitted as an optional extra, but I still have the pre-wiring in the boot/behind the glove box.
Sat-nav uses a separate screen, that if fitted would be where you have a cubby hole next to the radio. As the Carin is now at least 8 years old I personally wouldn't bother retro fitting it & would buy a Tom Tom/other as the layout & size of the maps are far superior to the carin
[size=14]AIMHO[/size]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2007, 12:24:27 »

In order to fit the CCRT700, the body loom used also includes the satnav wiring loom and hence the extra spare wires.

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2007, 12:48:28 »

Thanx guys.

So if I wanted to retro fit a carin, then I'd need the CD/brain, a screen and a speaker and a gps.

But not any extra wiring ?
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2007, 16:23:07 »

You also need the dash loom.....the body loom is there though.

Its easier and better to get a tom tom.....

Or you could consider adding an NCDC1100 from a Vectra plus a graphic or colour screen where the mid is....(its a rare mod, not impossible)

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2007, 09:12:56 »

Hate Tom Toms  :-/

So to anyone with a 1999 mini-facelift Carin:

Does the CD-Unit mount in the boot or the glovebox ?

Is it controlled by a fixed or removable remote?

Is there a GPS reciever in the ariel on the roof ? (Radio has ONSTAR)

I know the CCRT700 can provide the sat nav audio, but does the built-in GID support a sat-nav input ?

Does anyone know the part-code for the screen that goes where the cuddy is ?

Does anyone have the 'front loom' and or scree for sale ?
Cheers for taking the time to answer.

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2007, 13:38:01 »

Can anyone tell me anything about the screen as fitted to this system (small monochrome adjacent to the stereo)

does anyone have a picture of the connector or socket ?

Does it look similar to this ?

...'  '...

ten pins at the botton and three on either side of two thicker ones ?

Cheers

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2007, 15:05:42 »

Can anyone tell me anything about the screen as fitted to this system (small monochrome adjacent to the stereo)

does anyone have a picture of the connector or socket ?

Does it look similar to this ?

...'  '...

ten pins at the botton and three on either side of two thicker ones ?

Cheers

I have a complete Carin system and loom sitting in a box (minus the aerial), if you tell me what Pics you need I can email them to you.

Wont be able to do it till New Year Though.

Chris

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2007, 15:34:46 »

Foget the portable GPS units, Tom Tom and the like - the software is designed for hikers and Bikers and although works reasonably well in most cases for vehicles, it was never designed as such. The government are actually investigating the hand held ones at the moment due to the number of vehicles that are getting stuck down small roads. Not sure what the outcome is going to be, but the portable sat nav companies are panicking furiously, which is why the price is crashing to well under a hundred quid at the moment - they know whats coming!

We were one of the first companies to sell In Car Navigation systems in the UK and remember fondly the early ones that cost near £8K and only covered within the M25

The Carin still stands up fairly well, despite its age, with the only downside being bang up to date software and mapping, but if you trawl the net you can often find it.

A real In car Sat Nav, with gyroscope, speed pulse and a map designed for a large vehicle still costs four figures, and a hand held one for your bike will cost only double figures.

You will get exactly what you pay for !
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2007, 15:59:23 »

I totally agree with Dave, Until recently when I changed the Laguna to an Omega I had a full in dash clarion system and It was superb. (now for sale pm if interested) and I have a Panasonic DVD system still to fit to the Hundy (Been in a box for two years but amazingly still the current model)

I like the completeness of integrated systems, that's why I'm trying to source a carin kit

Cheers
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 16:00:01 by jules »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2007, 16:32:08 »

I totally agree with Dave, Until recently when I changed the Laguna to an Omega I had a full in dash clarion system and It was superb. (now for sale pm if interested) and I have a Panasonic DVD system still to fit to the Hundy (Been in a box for two years but amazingly still the current model)

I like the completeness of integrated systems, that's why I'm trying to source a carin kit

Cheers

I'm with you on this one, the Carin in the box thing is planned to end up in my 2.5td Pre Face lift, plus I've almost got all the bits now to do a NCDC2013 and Colour CID Screen plus a Bose upgrade for my 3.0 MV6 Face Lift Estate.

Chris.

(Jules I've PM'd you re Pic's)

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2007, 18:34:30 »

i have a tomtom1 and think it is awesome a lot better and easier to use than the carin system !! ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2007, 20:33:29 »

Don`t get me wrong, The Tom Tom is a very easy to use unit, and its user interface is stunning. I also sell nearly 50 Tom Toms to every professional In Car Sat Nav, so from that point of view also they are good! I sell virtually all makes from Garmin, Marrelli, and a lot of the independants as well as being an Authourised Installer for practically all makes of the In Car ones also.

But . . . And its a VERY big But . . . .

The mapping is on the Tom Tom / Hand held units is suited to hikers and Bikers and designed for anything smaller than a car that can travel down green lanes and small roads with no regard for obstacles and rights of passage. The car systems give a different sort of priority to the routes they calculate to take into consideration the vehicles being used.

The In Car systems also do not track the route via satellite, but instead use a gyroscope and speed sensor to calculate the position of the vehicle on a pre-loaded Map, and only use the Satellite to confirm the position on the map every thirty seconds or so - unlike the hand held units that have no back up when the sattelites are out of sight, tunnels, tall buildings etc etc.

The car systems do have their flaws also, apart from the price - they are not as easy to input destination data as many of the cheapie Tom Toms are, and mapping upgrades are usually near £100 a time.

In my professional opinion, the ultimate system does not yet exist in the UK, but one day soon, somebody like Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Kenwood or Clarion will take a few minutes out to nick the user interface from the Tom Tom or similar and only then will you end up with a reliable and useable In Car sat nav.

www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2007, 20:47:56 »

The In Car systems also do not track the route via satellite, but instead use a gyroscope and speed sensor to calculate the position of the vehicle on a pre-loaded Map, and only use the Satellite to confirm the position on the map every thirty seconds or so - unlike the hand held units that have no back up when the sattelites are out of sight, tunnels, tall buildings etc etc. .......

Ah! So that's how 'she' knew where I was when I was in a tunnel recently.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2007, 15:22:07 »

Exactly that !

A good OEM system will not have to recalculate a route when it emerges from a tunnel !!
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.