Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: remote start alarm  (Read 3521 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: remote start alarm
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2008, 14:37:02 »

Is a '66 car even liable for a visible smoke test? Possibly not!

MOT`s are quite funny - Due to the age, its exempt from just about everything. It always provokes real frustration from the examiners though, because they all say that they are supposed to spend 45 minutes examining the car under the current guidelines - and without fail, have usually tested everything within the first 10 and have nothing left to do - apparently it really screws up the system, as sitting around doing nothing is probably not cost effective for them !!

How do you fare with a Q reg then? Do you have to comply with year of build, or current?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2008, 14:54:31 »

Is a '66 car even liable for a visible smoke test? Possibly not!

MOT`s are quite funny - Due to the age, its exempt from just about everything. It always provokes real frustration from the examiners though, because they all say that they are supposed to spend 45 minutes examining the car under the current guidelines - and without fail, have usually tested everything within the first 10 and have nothing left to do - apparently it really screws up the system, as sitting around doing nothing is probably not cost effective for them !!

How do you fare with a Q reg then? Do you have to comply with year of build, or current?

Its based on a number of factors, emission for example can be set against the year of the engine fitted (hence why I have a 1988 V8 in the garage for a kit car!), it all depends on how you register them

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2008, 14:57:02 »

b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971

;D

So, visible smoke only, although he usually does check it. Complained it was too clean for a non-cat engine last time!

However, you do sometimes need to argue the toss because testers don't see too many Q plates.

I have the same MOT issues though. There isn't a lot to test and it's pretty easy to find it all, yet the computer won't let him complete the test until the correct time has been spent.

Means an extra fag break or two for the tester, or, as happened last time, if the MOT computer network is down, he can't make up any time that has been lost getting an ancient modem to dial up. >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2008, 15:02:57 »

Its based on a number of factors, emission for example can be set against the year of the engine fitted (hence why I have a 1988 V8 in the garage for a kit car!), it all depends on how you register them

True. Mine had to meet non-cat emissions levels at SVA because the engine is a 1994. However, because I registered it on a "Q" plate it's visible smoke only.

Had I used a Post-Aug 1995 engine I would have needed a cat at SVA. However, if registered as a "Q" it would still have been visible smoke at MOT.

If you register age-related then it tends to get tested according to the plate age, although if you can prove the engine age is older they must test it according to engine age. Again, arguing the toss is required because most testers aren't familiar with this. It's in the manual though.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2008, 17:51:10 »

They always fail mine on steering play.

I tell them it's a flexible coupling and produce the Nissan document showing how much play is in the joint and still they try it on, I've replaced it with a stainless bush now so that keeps them happy.

Failed on emissions this year, turns out the fuel in the tank was almost a year old  :D

As for GPS 'big brother' it had to come sooner or later so why am I not surprised.
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

Dragon

• Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2008, 01:26:49 »

I use what I consider to be the best remote start system available. It's foolproof, doesn't interfere with the car electrics or existing alarm system in any way, and has a safeguarding feature to prevent the car being stolen with the engine running while i'm still in bed.

It's called the YS system model type: HIHO-DMAF-GWUTCFMD

D.

(terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired STRETCH: Hi Honey - Do Me A Favour - Go Warm Up The Car For Me Darling)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2008, 09:10:10 »

I do have quite a bit of info on the new black box stuff.  Quite a few new cars have it, and have for a while.  Certainly most SRS ecus store a fair amount about impact.  The argument is, using GPS allows better accuracy in determining the sequence of events - and there are some really interesting developments going on.

Obviously, such technology is open to abuse by authorities.  But then I guess a fair few of us drive around with OnStar in our cars - an early location system built in to a lot of 1999 Omegas....
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2008, 10:11:11 »

Quite a few new cars have it, and have for a while.  Certainly most SRS ecus store a fair amount about impact.  The argument is, using GPS allows better accuracy in determining the sequence of events - and there are some really interesting developments going on.

Obviously, such technology is open to abuse by authorities.

A very close friend of mine is involved in the "Authorities" side of the data collection and processing and for the big brother paranoids amongst you, I offer the following suggestion

Keep those classics alive !! And don`t even consider buying a new car in the future !

BLOODY HELL  !!    >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2008, 10:18:22 »

Obviously, such technology is open to abuse by authorities.  But then I guess a fair few of us drive around with OnStar in our cars - an early location system built in to a lot of 1999 Omegas....

I may be wrong here but I think the Onstar system needs a telematics unit connected to that spare cable and coax in the boot to function ?

Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2008, 11:53:51 »

The danger is, as has happened with speed cameras, box junctions, etc. The technology becomes a cheap and nasty way of determining guilt and will thus be used to the exclusion of other methods which can take a more reasoned, discretionary approach. When there's an accident, one driver will be found to be 1.2 MPH below the limit and another 0.9 MPH above the limit. Now, whose fault was it? >:(

.. and, of course, the network that the government needs to establish widespread road pricing will have magically appeared after a while so there'll be no arguments about the cost to implement it, it'll just happen.

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.