Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear sunblind not extending  (Read 2084 times)

jon

• oxford
    • View Profile
Rear sunblind not extending
« on: 14 May 2008, 15:31:57 »

Gone to use the sunblind on this nice hot day but after pressing the button nothing happens. I can hear a click at the blind when i press the button and then another one some 10 seconds later, but no movement at all.
The blind has stuck very occasionally before but only when the car has been sitting in the sun and is really hot, after five minutes with the ac on it would then work perfectly but not now!

Has anybody experienced this before? Is it a common problem and an easy fix?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Rear sunblind not extending
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2008, 17:19:40 »

Give the runners a good spray with some silicone spray ( Maplins) that should free it up,unless the blind has come out of the runners ? and the arms are broken

jon

• oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2008, 20:29:28 »

Where are the runners and how do you get to them? The blind is in the down position and will not come up but last it was used it worked fine and i do not think anything was broken then.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2008, 20:40:51 »

Where are the runners and how do you get to them? The blind is in the down position and will not come up but last it was used it worked fine and i do not think anything was broken then.

Sounds like you need to remove the parcel shelf to remove the blind. When I took mine out - the mechanism was retracting faster than the actual fabbric blind - there was just enough motor shaft sticking out at the back of it to get hold of to turn the motor. Yours might just need help from the starting block to get it going.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2008, 21:07:31 »

What about if an assistant presses the button, and you help it up?
Grumpy old man

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2008, 21:26:47 »

Jon, just an idea but try turning your stereo on and then press the blind button. That worked for me, no problem since  :y

jules

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
  • Woke up this morning a post whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2008, 21:49:21 »

Jon, just an idea but try turning your stereo on and then press the blind button. That worked for me, no problem since  :y

Aye and try standing on one leg, humming the national anthem and wear only yellow clothes whilst you do !!!
Hotel21 wrote 'Its doubtfull in the extreme if it is the head gasket at fault.  If it were burning 5 litres per week the car would leave a smokescreen behind it!'

Ironingboard

• Intermediate Member
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2008, 22:51:17 »

Aye and try standing on one leg, humming the national anthem and wear only yellow clothes whilst you do !!!

Well if you want to look like a tit........ sure.  :)

You could always hum the national anthem just as the blind comes up, remember to salute and do it in time  :y

jon

• oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2008, 12:26:28 »

The blind has always been temperaure sensetive so i waited until early yesterday morning when it was nice and cold, pressed the button and it raised immediately. I have given the runners and piviots a good spray with silicone spray which has improved its speed of function no end, so far so good and no need to hum, ware yellow cloths or stand on one leg for which i am relieved!!!

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2008, 11:39:39 »

mine still wont bloody move tho!!

garbage456

• Carshalton, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2008, 08:30:39 »

Gone to use the sunblind on this nice hot day but after pressing the button nothing happens. I can hear a click at the blind when i press the button and then another one some 10 seconds later, but no movement at all.
The blind has stuck very occasionally before but only when the car has been sitting in the sun and is really hot, after five minutes with the ac on it would then work perfectly but not now!

Has anybody experienced this before? Is it a common problem and an easy fix?

yes the exact same happend to me.

i will find the thread and post it on here.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2008, 08:32:00 by garbage456 »

garbage456

• Carshalton, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2008, 08:53:11 »

oh my,

this search engine I just couldnt find it, so i had to find it manually for you nov 2007

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1195049639

just to let you know, i know nothing about cars at all and i managed to get it off and fix it.

the main problem was there is a coil spring in the mechanism, this needed re tightening, you just turn it a few times and it will get a little harder to hold then reconnect the blind to it.

***** remember to test it before you put it back. ****

The first time for removal could take upto an hour, after putting back i realised it wasnt working again, but after a few times of total removal you will be doing it in a matter of 20 minutes or so.

if you need any more help PM me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.