Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iv fooked it i think  (Read 16197 times)

aaronjb

Re: Iv fooked it i think
« Reply #90 on: 02 March 2017, 09:56:44 »

There is a company near me that is able to repair those, costs about twice normal. :y
Because it's not legal :-X

Hmmm, not the advice I was given. I believe it was vulcanised in accordance with the British Standard regulations at the time. It certainly allowed me to continue to use an almost brand new tyre until its normal wear limit. The puncture I had IIRC, was virtually identical to the one pictured.

Indeed, it's not illegal to repair outside the central 3/4 but you can't just plug it - which is what most tyre fitting places are kitted out to do - they require hot vulcanising on the internal surface after a repair patch is placed.

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

tl;dr: BS AU 159 states that repairs in the 'major repair' area (outside the central 3/4) must be undertaken by an approved repairer and the inside of the tyre should be clearly marked alongside the area "BS AU 159" along with the repairer's details.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02 March 2017, 10:03:33 »

EDIT: beaten to the punch by aaronjb ::)  ;D

There is a company near me that is able to repair those, costs about twice normal. :y
Because it's not legal :-X

Hmmm, not the advice I was given. I believe it was vulcanised in accordance with the British Standard regulations at the time. It certainly allowed me to continue to use an almost brand new tyre until its normal wear limit. The puncture I had IIRC, was virtually identical to the one pictured.

Repairing outside of the Treaded area IS legal under BS AU 159(British Standard). HOWEVER, it is classified as a Major repair and not a Minor repair (the kind that can be glued and plugged). However, the big tyre sheds would prefer to use the words "can't" or "illegal" rather than admitting they don't do it. After all, they aren't going to be able to sell you a new one if they do that are they?  ::)

The standard divides the tyre into areas T (treaded) and W(wall), and specifies the types of repairs that can be done in each area. Sadly I can't find a full text of the standard anywhere without paying for it, but there are places that will do it. It is worth noting that a Major repair will preclude any further repairs on the same tyre.

Whether you trust a tyre repaired in that way is a matter for the end user of course.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 02 March 2017, 10:06:09 »

All the factual info you need is here:

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

It gives guideline percentages but, it differs from tyre to tyre and the fundamental requirement is that the repair must only be made where the steel re-enforcing exists and must be a set distance from the edge of the steel for the repair to be sound and safe.

So it may be repairable but you would only be able to tell from the inside sadly as you can usually see the steel and make a correct judgement.

That said there are far more advanced repair techniques which can repair any part of  a tyre (although its rarely economically viable on a car tyre)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 02 March 2017, 10:16:28 »

http://www.etyres.co.uk/repairable-area-gauge/

This explains the bare bones of it :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 02 March 2017, 10:22:45 »

This is exactly what I was talking about,

Quote from: etyres
Because a tyre curves away from the middle of where the tyre rolls on the road, only the centre area is repairable. Sidewalls are not repairable.

The highlighted text is an out and out lie.  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 02 March 2017, 10:26:24 »

I had a repairable puncture on my last Insignia, 20" wheels and no spare... tyre place took it off to repair it only to announce that the tyre was toast as most of the inside of the sidewalls had broken down. Initially they refused to refit it until I pointed out that with no spare, it would be stuck on their ramp until I could get a replacement tyre, which being a Thursday lunchtime, meant Tuesday ::)

They grudgingly refitted it unrepaired and sent me away. The only silver lining was that they couldn't charge me as that would have left a papertrail acknowledging that they had done so :-X

Replacement tyre was ordered that day and fitted the following week, solving the issue.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 02 March 2017, 10:29:49 »

This is exactly what I was talking about,

Quote from: etyres
Because a tyre curves away from the middle of where the tyre rolls on the road, only the centre area is repairable. Sidewalls are not repairable.

The highlighted text is an out and out lie.  ::)
Fair dos :y

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 02 March 2017, 17:19:32 »

So is it repairable :D ;D
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 02 March 2017, 18:53:21 »

So is it repairable :D ;D

Find a local qualified firm and check with them, but it looks as though you may be able to get it repaired. I was lucky, as my local tyre guy referred me to the vulcaniser with the same advice.:y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.