Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Life after Omega  (Read 7535 times)

feeutfo

Re: Life after Omega
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2012, 22:19:25 »

Lexus is300 sportcross. More sensibly priced. Rwd, quicker, more reliable, more accurate to drive.

...or the 200.

Oh, and it's quicker due to 5 speed auto, over the omegas 4.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2012, 22:23:41 »

Don't see why the number of gears makes  difference to 'quickness' ...... it'll just have more gear changes to make to get to a given speed.  ???
Does that make SWMBO's Smart, with its 6 speed gearbox faster than my 4 speed auto Omega? Or maybe my R320 is faster still with its 7 speed auto ......  ::) ::) ::)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2012, 22:30:21 »

probably does make it faster, just because it can be kept in the torque peak more of the time - especially for a diesel.

that's not the reason that they fit more autos with ever more speeds - it's all down to emissions regs, I'm afraid. More speeds gives more chance of meeting ever more stringent regs.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2012, 22:34:50 »

probably does make it faster, just because it can be kept in the torque peak more of the time - especially for a diesel.

Fully realise that for a diseasal ...... is the Lexus diesal?  :-\

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2012, 22:43:26 »

Lexus is300 sportcross. More sensibly priced. Rwd, quicker, more reliable, more accurate to drive.

...or the 200.

No class, Just looks boy racer / drug dealer  :-X ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2012, 22:50:51 »

Insignia is dull and boring to drive. But comfortable and economical (in CDTi engined ones).

No replacement for the Omega from Vauxhall.

I can't second that, the one I drove had hard seats, not a patch on the Omega armchairs. :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2012, 22:52:18 »

...or the 200.

No class, Just looks boy racer / drug dealer  :-X ;D

I agree, just went on Auto Trader to have a look.... :D :D  My Jeep Cherokee is doing me fine, handles like a boat but is comfortable, entry/exit height suits my nicely and better on fuel than my old 2.2.... :y :y
If I want to have a 'play' occasionally then I can jump into swmbo 2.6 and have a blast..... :D :D :D

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2012, 22:55:19 »

Mike, how does the Jeep compare to the 2.2 Insurance wise? ??? Oh, and how the hell are you old boy? ;D :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2012, 23:02:16 »

Drove a Jag XJ this week,very very nice,but at 55 grand+ looks like I'm going to be driving the Omegas for a VERY long time.No real hardship I suppose ::)

My replacemant for the Omega was an X350 XJ Jag - had it nearly 12 months now, just about to finish servicing it ready for MOT.  Great car to drive, extremely comfortable, all the extras/boys toys, and very fast and economical for a big motor (better than my old 2.5 V6 Elite).  Only an oil change left to do - got to take off the huge underbody shield to even get at sump plug/oil filter - getting it off ain't an issue, getting it back on on my own could be!  Perhaps that's why Jags charge £128 + VAT for an oil change  :o :o  Would still recommend it though :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2012, 23:06:27 »

Mike, how does the Jeep compare to the 2.2 Insurance wise? ??? Oh, and how the hell are you old boy? ;D :y

Funny you should ask that Phil as I have recently been looking as our renewal is due mid September and I think we are moving away from Admiral Multicar.... :-\ :-\ Just waiting for renewal prices from them.
Both the Jeep for me and the 2.6 Mig for swmbo are coming out at around £270 with business use and fully comp, my Job is high risk, business wise..... :-X that is before I start really looking around, so pretty even really.... :y :y

And I am fine old chap, going to the caravan (Static) for a week tomorrow, supposedly for a break but Miss Vamps seem to have a heavy itinerary....... ::) ::) ::)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2012, 23:10:37 »

If it's got to be RWD, then you're limited to either a BMW or Merc.  ......

and Jaguar and Toyota Lexus  ;) ;)

Regarding the Lexus - unless you are on friendly terms with a Toyota dealer then parts cost is eye-watering.

It goes without saying that labour cost from the official dealer is also substantial.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2012, 23:19:12 »

Insignia is dull and boring to drive. But comfortable and economical (in CDTi engined ones).

I can't second that, the one I drove had hard seats, not a patch on the Omega armchairs. :y

+1........ :)

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2012, 09:20:24 »

Fully realise that for a diseasal ...... is the Lexus diesal?  :-\
So why don't all cars have just one gear Andy D?  ;)

A shorter single gear will accelerate quicker than a single longer gear.

Take my track bike. Cbr600 road bike. First race, flag drops and they all fwaarck off into the distance, the bikes dog slow. Why? They've all geared their bikes to the track. Lower or shorter gearing on the final drive sprockets. We haven't had time to sort our gearing and it's still stock at the manufactures top speed orientated figures.
But next race we have sorted the gearing and it's holding it's own into turn one.
So clearly we have a quicker accelerating bike yes? (don't argue, we just do ;D)

So put that bike back on the road with the same final drive gearing and it's a mare. Tops out at too high rpm, and the top speed is about, oh I don't know, let's say it's 1/7th less than it was. So how do we keep the acceleration, but achieve a higher top speed? As a manufacturer, you add another gear. Or even two depending on your engines power out put and a whole load of other factors such as comfort for instance. Because changing gear on a bike geared for Mallory Park at wot, is not a comfortable experience let me tell you. It's quick fire changes all the way.

Your smart isn't faster compared to a four speed omega.( although might just be quicker than a pram ;D ) Your 6 geared smart is faster compared to another smart with with, say, 4 or 5 gears. Which just proves the point.
If it had 5 gears it would either have slower acceleration to the same top speed. Or the same acceleration, but loose the final part of the speed range that gives you the original top speed. Assuming 6th is not an overdrive or something equally gay.

See?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2012, 09:29:54 »

Don't see why the number of gears makes  difference to 'quickness' ...... it'll just have more gear changes to make to get to a given speed.  ???
Does that make SWMBO's Smart, with its 6 speed gearbox faster than my 4 speed auto Omega? Or maybe my R320 is faster still with its 7 speed auto ......  ::) ::) ::)
The 1st 3 gears on the Omega auto are a bit long, so in effect its like trying to accelerate in too long a gear.  Easy fix (for 3.0/3.2) is a different diff, but then that makes the cruising 4th gear a bit short.

As the auto gear change is reasonably quick (esp on the 3.0), I'm convinced that the gains in an extra ratio would overcome the extra change needed.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 August 2012, 09:31:28 »

I agree, you sit 'on' them, not 'in' them, but I drove 2500 miles in one in 2 weeks in June with no ill effects, which I was surprised at :o
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.