Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Curious  (Read 28031 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Just Curious
« Reply #195 on: 23 January 2014, 15:37:00 »

There's also two vac tanks, that service the multi rams. One on the back if the inlets, tother behind the pollen filter housing.

Yes. Two. ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 23 January 2014, 18:19:20 »

this is just getting mad

so its a vacuum until you open the oil filler cap then it miraculously becomes positive pressure? and it has a fancy name,  fluid theory.  perhaps its like that cat in the box you never know what it is until you open the filler cap. schrodingers crankcase.

there is no vacuum anywhere on an omega unless you left your coffee flask in the boot.  correction there is one on a tiny number of migs, its a few cm under the roof and 1m above the drivers seat.  only on the noisy ones though. 

instead there is slightly above normal air pressure in the crankcase and slightly below in the air intake.  the breather connects these two.  im not posting on this again it has changed from boring to irritating and boring at the same time.

May I suggest that instead of making stupid comments, you actually THINK about what you type ??

I'm grateful you're not going to post in this thread again as we can actually have sensible conversations that way.

dublin.jd

• 01 Omega 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 23 January 2014, 19:09:39 »

I'm gonna agree to disagree until I get around to testing all these theories.
I'll be back with results and hopefully videos as soon as I find time.
Thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 23 January 2014, 19:29:10 »

Thanks
I look forward to the results :y, good luck.

However, much of the advice given is based on personal experience, and the one known working solution is clear breathers and replacement GM gaskets and O rings, which as they go hard, tend to become a less effective seal.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #199 on: 23 January 2014, 20:17:45 »

Thanks

Who for? ;D

;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 23 January 2014, 21:42:02 »

LOL everyone be normal  ::)

Dublin is going to test these theories. Let's discuss the results then.

One thing i want to know though....... what tests can he perform? i suggested vacuum gauge but i think someone said thats not appropriate.  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 23 January 2014, 21:55:23 »

One thing i want to know though....... what tests can he perform? i suggested vacuum gauge but i think someone said thats not appropriate.  :-\

The tests I would wish to see results of are ...

1. Absolute air pressure in the crankcase with the void sealed and the breathers fully cleaned

2. Absolute air pressure in the crankcase with the void sealed and the breathers fully blocked

3. Absolute air pressure in the crankcase with leaking cam covers, (all other aspects of void sealing being normal), and the breathers fully blocked.

This would indicate the (1) system under normal operation (2) The pressure the system will, potentially, build to before doing damage to cam cover seals and (3) the stabilised pressure once the cam cover seals fail and leak.

I would expect (1) to be below atmospheric (partial vacuum) and (2) & (3) to be above atmospheric (positive pressure).

If the "idea" of some PRV is still the target, the value of the relief would have to be well below (2) and probably below (3) for best operation ... although, as previously stated, I don't believe it is necessary.

There is no point in doing any tests where the void is not sealed as designed..  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 23 January 2014, 22:01:33 »

Well put Entwood.  :)

Cracking thread this!  8)  A lot of hot air, vacuous opinions and full of misunderstandings!  :D

Very entertaining and highly recommended!!  :y :y :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dublin.jd

• 01 Omega 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 23 January 2014, 22:25:21 »

1. Absolute air pressure in the crankcase with the void sealed and the breathers fully cleaned

2. Absolute air pressure in the crankcase with the void sealed and the breathers fully blocked

3. Absolute air pressure in the crankcase with leaking cam covers, (all other aspects of void sealing being normal), and the breathers fully blocked.

This would indicate the (1) system under normal operation (2) The pressure the system will, potentially, build to before doing damage to cam cover seals and (3) the stabilised pressure once the cam cover seals fail and leak.

I would expect (1) to be below atmospheric (partial vacuum) and (2) & (3) to be above atmospheric (positive pressure).

If the "idea" of some PRV is still the target, the value of the relief would have to be well below (2) and probably below (3) for best operation ... although, as previously stated, I don't believe it is necessary.

There is no point in doing any tests where the void is not sealed as designed..  :)

That's a good starting point, thanks.

I take it that u need a vac gauge to perform said tests?
I will test before I change gaskets although my breathers are clear. I will then simulate blockage and test also.
Don't think I'd go as far to simulate blockage after I change them. (might do it for 30 seconds or so and take reading)
Thanks again for giving me a starting point, in a non critical way. :y

dublin.jd

• 01 Omega 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 23 January 2014, 22:26:49 »

Well put Entwood.  :)

Cracking thread this!  8)  A lot of hot air, vacuous opinions and full of misunderstandings!  :D

Very entertaining and highly recommended!!  :y :y :y

Lots and lots of misunderstandings, none by me of course ;D

dublin.jd

• 01 Omega 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 23 January 2014, 22:35:19 »

Thanks
I look forward to the results :y, good luck.

However, much of the advice given is based on personal experience, and the one known working solution is clear breathers and replacement GM gaskets and O rings, which as they go hard, tend to become a less effective seal.
Thanks.
I understand lots of people are speaking from experience but sometimes I need to find out for myself. Especially when I don't agree with what they say. Sometimes due to them not giving proper explaination of why their theory is so and sometimes me having to see to believe. But I do take on board what people say and will question it if it doesn't make sense to me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 24 January 2014, 00:02:52 »

Darn! Admin error. Noooo! We don't want this topic sticky. :o

::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 27 January 2014, 18:38:19 »

Agree 100% ...

Would also be interesting to see the results at different load/throttle too!
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.