Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triple info display (TID)  (Read 1587 times)

omegalyn

Triple info display (TID)
« on: 07 March 2007, 11:18:41 »

Hi there all

Just wondering if anyone has ever changed the tid (with one yellow plug in the back) with anything useful.  I have put three sec-hand units in mine but thay dont seem to last long, have tried the fix, but just makes things worse, is there any screens that fit in to watch dvd's etc. (when not driving the car). or anything els that can be put in there.

Many thanks

Omegalyn

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Triple info display (TID)
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2007, 19:14:36 »

Hi there all

Just wondering if anyone has ever changed the tid (with one yellow plug in the back) with anything useful.  I have put three sec-hand units in mine but thay dont seem to last long, have tried the fix, but just makes things worse, is there any screens that fit in to watch dvd's etc. (when not driving the car). or anything els that can be put in there.

Many thanks

Omegalyn
The TID is the most reliable (and easiest to fix) standard option for your car.   The pre minifacelift MIDs were pretty bad for losing pixels, and much harder to repair....

I guess it would be possible to meccano mount a 5" lcd screen and fit a driving head unit....   ....though personally, why would you want to sit in a car to watch a DVD? Would a portable mini DVD player be a better bet?
Grumpy old man

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2007, 01:51:04 »

I've just upgraded from a TID to a CID, but I can tell you it wasn't an easy job, and it does have a few problems.

The connector is different, and the terminals don't just swap over, but you can easily get a 32 pin one from a breaker (wire colour codes are different too, so you need to cross reference on TIS).

There are a few sensors your car won't have: coolant level, windscreen washer level , engine oil level. You can either just take those wires to ground, or run wires and install the sensors (apparently the engine has to be removed to replace the oil level sensor)

Your car probably won't have the Check Control module which tells the CID if any of the external light bulbs are not working, so you'll get a regular warning for this (working on solving this at the moment).

The CID has a separate RGB and sync input, although I don't know if the switching for this is done via the CAN bus lines from the radio or if it auto-detects a signal on this input. (The separate 12 pin connector for this input  is extremely hard to find).

The advantage of this route is that you'll get the original radio display, on-board computer, satnav graphic display if you have an NCDC unit fitted and the factory built-in look.

Disadvantage is that it's a lot of trouble, CID cost is still very high (+£1000 at VX, £300 on eBay) and not any more reliable than the TID! - oh and you'll have to have it hooked up with a Tech 2.

I can give you more info if you decide to go this route.
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

omegalyn

« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2007, 12:02:36 »

Thanks for the offer BigCat, But it sounds like a lot of work. I am at the moment waiting for some TID's from ebay as the one's I get from the scrap yards are what you expect them to be,  (useless). Have you managed to get all the sensors fitted to your CID.  Good luck and thanks again for your offer of help.

omegalyn :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.