Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 TD or 2.5 V6??  (Read 1182 times)

bighed

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
2.5 TD or 2.5 V6??
« on: 16 March 2008, 19:07:04 »

Hi guys, New to forum. Would you say the 2.5 Td or the 2.5 V6 estate was best. As looking at getting one or the other.

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 TD or 2.5 V6??
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2008, 19:11:38 »

they both have plus points mate depends what you want it to do !! :y

bighed

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2008, 20:07:50 »

just have something reliable really.  :)

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2008, 21:07:48 »

If you want power then go for the V6 but make sure that its had the cam belt changed. If you want good mpg then go for the 2.2 DTI rather than the 2.5 TD.
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

Mike Collins

• North of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2008, 21:10:52 »

2.5 V6, fine if you keep on top of maintenance, smooth, quiet and powerful.

29 or thereabouts on reasonably long trips.

Diesel, if you can take the smell, noise and vibration, have to admit, never tried and would not want to.

I suffered a Peugeot 406 diesel estate once, never again.

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2008, 21:18:24 »

The omega diesel is much much better than the pug 406 diesel. The omega 2.2 diesel is quiet and will give you about 42 mpg on a run.
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2008, 21:48:24 »

Mine doesn't smell, I clean it regularly :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2008, 22:03:52 »

Even if economy is the primary concern still I will go after V6 ..and install LPG..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2008, 23:23:17 »

The omega diesel is much much better than the pug 406 diesel. The omega 2.2 diesel is quiet and will give you about 42 mpg on a run.
42? Is that all. My 2.5TD much better ;)
Grumpy old man

shanjon

« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2008, 23:52:04 »

from personal experience i dont rate the 2.5td at all although im sure there are people who really rate them, my father in law purchased a 2.5td from a garage it did 52 miles before throwing a con rod, the dealer put another engine in and that had the big end bearings fail after 6 months, im surev they were friday engines although that said it was very smooth and powerful and i have seen many clock up over 200.000 miles with no problems,,,  personally i would go for the v6 every time

bighed

• Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2008, 07:21:36 »

Thanks for all the replies guys, was really thinking of the 2.5td for fuel economy but V6 is calling i think!!  Oh dear.

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2008, 09:27:59 »

Thanks for all the replies guys, was really thinking of the 2.5td for fuel economy but V6 is calling i think!!  Oh dear.

V6 are great just make sure you appreciate how BAD the fuel economy will be, i didn't!

I drive 5 miles to work across town every day and only get 17mpg :-/
but then that might be because i can't help putting my foot down and listening to the V6 growl :y :y :y
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

keith2.2

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2008, 10:05:42 »

Diesel, if you can take the smell, noise and vibration, have to admit, never tried and would not want to.

I suffered a Peugeot 406 diesel estate once, never again.

Antiquated view of turbo weasels ahoy!

they're a lot better than they used to be...even the french ones! But the germans still take some beating.

I've just got my MV6 and to be honest, it's taking some getting used to because I'm used to having power where I want it, when I want it. Having to wait for the MV6 to 'wind up' into the power band is pretty frustrating! I was flicking the tiptronic 'box into the next gear for another 300lb/ft of torques at the point where the omega is just starting to get into its stride.

I suspect the 4spd auto only compounds this issue - especially with the slightly unnerving jump in ratios.

Ideally, there would be a 5spd auto on the later V6's that would bolt striaght up... I feel a new thread coming on...

Back on topic - aside from the above I prefer the LPG V6 to the VAG diesel that it replaces.
2.2 litre, 210bhp, 910kg stripped honda civic
LPG'd MV6 Omega

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2008, 12:24:56 »

I don't think either engine will make a very economical choice... The 2.5TD can be economical if you drive carefully or have the ecu chipped. Normal driving will not give you great economy though.

I don't have any personal experience of the 2.5 V6 but from what people have said it doesn't sound much better.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2008, 12:25:31 by platty »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2008, 13:12:38 »

I've just got my MV6 and to be honest, it's taking some getting used to because I'm used to having power where I want it, when I want it. Having to wait for the MV6 to 'wind up' into the power band is pretty frustrating! I was flicking the tiptronic 'box into the next gear for another 300lb/ft of torques at the point where the omega is just starting to get into its stride.

It's horses for courses, though. Whenever I drive a diesel, which isn't often, I get frustrated that it bangs into the governor at 4500 RPM. They have very different power delivery and need different driving styles accordingly.

I also don't get on with auto diesels because the power band is so much narrower than a petrol engine. IMHO, 4 speeds is fine for a V6 petrol. 5 might have been nice but there is never a situation when my V6 is in a flat spot and won't go. Like you, I suspect an LPG V6 is the holy grail. Have V6, just need to LPG it.

In answer to the OPs question, I think both options can be unreliable in different ways. Whilst the V6 needs a bit of tinkering on the usual niggles (cam covers, coil packs, HBV, etc.) the lump is basically bomb proof and will tolerate a bit of previous abuse without anything serious going wrong. Just look after the cam belt and usual servicing tasks.

The TD, on the other hand, needs to have a perfect service history to avoid a lot of hassle. As the service intervals are short on this engine, it's more likely that skimping on servicing in the past will have killed it and running on dirty oil can cause serious problems. If you buy a good one, and service it meticulously, you will probably be OK.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.