Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

ABS Sensor

<< < (2/3) > >>

456lbft:
Thanks, we have a Tech1 with the appropriate (Lotus) cartridge, but I don't remember seeing any ABS diagnostic options on the menus, but will check next time I have one plugged in.

LC0112G:
No - there is no ALDL connection to the Carlton ABS unit. I don't think the ABS ALDL connection was implemented until ABS2E systems (late Cavaliers), whereas the Carltons/Senators only had ABS2.  There is/was a special test machine available to VX dealers (it's mentioned in TIS), but I've never seen one.

You basically have to unplug the ABS control unit (under the front passenger seat) and use a voltmeter to probe all the sensors on the wiring harness side. The Haynes circuit is correct for all Carltons/Senators AFAIK. Check the resistances between pins 6&4, 11&21, 8&9, and 24&26. Can't remember what they are supposed to be - a few Kilo-ohms I think. Also check all 8 pins to a chassis earth. They should all be near infinite/open circuit.

Finally, measure the AC voltage between  pins 6&4, 11&21, 8&9, and 24&26 as someone spins the associated wheel (easier if the car is on a 2 post ramp). You should see a voltage generated which reduces back to zero as the wheel slows to a stop.

If it's a faulty sensor, then one (or more) will be different to the others. The other common problem is the ABS surge relay, which is located under the black plastic cover on the ABS modulator (NSF in the engine bay).

LC0112G:

--- Quote from: 456lbft on 27 April 2022, 09:01:39 ---Thanks, we have a Tech1 with the appropriate (Lotus) cartridge, but I don't remember seeing any ABS diagnostic options on the menus, but will check next time I have one plugged in.

--- End quote ---

If its a Lotus, then there are two ALDL diagnostic plugs behind the brake servo. One goes to the Engine ECU, and for that you need the Tech 1 plus the special Lotus cartridge. The other plug goes to all the legacy stuff that is standard for Carlton/Senator, and for that you need Tech 1 plus a standard 1989-1993 Vauxhall Cartridge (or mass storage cartridge).

The legacy plug on an LC only connects to the alarm. If you replace the dashboard dial clock with the Carlton trip computer, then it can also connect to that. On other Carltons/Senators it's also possible to connect to the digi-dash, auto-box, radio and other stuff depending what options are fitted - but the LC has none of that.

STEMO:
Good knowledge there, Malcolm  :y

VXL V6:

--- Quote from: LC0112G on 27 April 2022, 11:51:22 ---
--- Quote from: 456lbft on 27 April 2022, 09:01:39 ---Thanks, we have a Tech1 with the appropriate (Lotus) cartridge, but I don't remember seeing any ABS diagnostic options on the menus, but will check next time I have one plugged in.

--- End quote ---

If its a Lotus, then there are two ALDL diagnostic plugs behind the brake servo. One goes to the Engine ECU, and for that you need the Tech 1 plus the special Lotus cartridge. The other plug goes to all the legacy stuff that is standard for Carlton/Senator, and for that you need Tech 1 plus a standard 1989-1993 Vauxhall Cartridge (or mass storage cartridge).

The legacy plug on an LC only connects to the alarm. If you replace the dashboard dial clock with the Carlton trip computer, then it can also connect to that. On other Carltons/Senators it's also possible to connect to the digi-dash, auto-box, radio and other stuff depending what options are fitted - but the LC has none of that.

--- End quote ---

I have OpelScanner with the ALDL adaptor cable if that helps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version