Chat Area > General Car Chat

Cam Belt

(1/4) > >>

Lizzie Zoom:
Time for my cam belt change, so I asked my friendly Vx parts manager for a quote.  Sorry he says, bad news, they have been discontinued!

So yet another Omega part unavailable from them, but he is finding out a price for an alternative………but he cannot sell the kit to me, as it must be fitted by their service team!

Previously I had obtained the genuine parts from Vx and had Serek fit it all.

Serek is away at the moment, so when he returns I will obtain a price from him for supply and fitting.  The only trouble is by the time I have travelled to his outfit and back, I would have spent approx £80-90 on fuel and refreshments.

So, in the meantime I will be hunting around for more options, including Germany and the States.

But, the lack of Omega parts at the old GM dealers is becoming total, which will make it far more difficult to keep our old girls going :P :'(

Now looking at Autodoc, Euro Car Parts and others.  Good makes available, at all different, big variance,  prices!

Doctor Gollum:
Not saying nuffing.

Nick W:
It's a common service part, and GM never made any of the components.
The various aftermarket ones used the same components(SKF bearings, Gates or Continental belts) so there was never any reason to insist on GM.

This is true for most of the parts any remaining Omega is going to need, and trying the dealer(who is unlikely to have any interest in a car that's going to be over twenty years old) is virtually guaranteed to be a waste of time and effort. And probably money, if they do manage to find the part.

Some of the previously suggested GM only parts dogma advice will need reassessing.

Kevin Wood:
Every one I've ever seen has had the same skf bearings, GM or pattern. Really no reason not to just fit a pattern kit.

Viral_Jim:
I've been to GM a few times for the Zaf, always for trim clips etc that someone in there before me managed to break  :-X. For any common service items, I don't see it being necessary to look to GM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version