Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlight Range  (Read 6682 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight Range
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2023, 17:58:33 »

The HID suspension sensors and the self levelling suspension sensor/ecu are not the same part or interchangeable.

The HID ECU has a trivial time of working out if the sensor has moved or not, so car easily work out if the signal is plausible.
Grumpy old man

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2023, 18:06:43 »

I’ve had headlight position warning on since I bought the car I ignore it as my lights appear to be ok anyway😎
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2023, 18:10:33 »

I’ve had headlight position warning on since I bought the car I ignore it as my lights appear to be ok anyway😎
If the headlight motors are working, it lowers to lowest position for safety (of other road users).  Nothing to stop people raising them manually, but its a bit idiottish, like resetting headlights after every MOT, because sod you jack, I'm OK.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2023, 18:13:39 »

Both the suspension level sensor/control module and headlight levelling control module (two completely independent systems) have a speed signal feed from the ABS. The diagnostic process probably doesn't complete until the car moves. At which point a constant signal from one sensor vs a dynamic signal from the other will trigger the fault warning.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2023, 19:04:09 »

The HID suspension sensors and the self levelling suspension sensor/ecu are not the same part or interchangeable.

It's also very easy to damage them when trying to remove them - the mounting nuts rust in place, and you break the plastic. This means you've disabled an important mechanical and useful feature to diagnose a lesser one.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2023, 19:16:39 »

theres a green elite breaking on ebay mrs zoom.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2023, 19:23:27 »

2 pages to this thread so far ,all good advice but unless Lizzie actually looks at the sensor to see what's wrong  :-X
pretty sure the forum posts and software can't do that for her  :D

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2023, 19:40:41 »

The arm on the sensor bracket isn't spring loaded Chris - it just adopts whatever position the wishbone or rear swinging arm causes it to be in!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2023, 19:41:37 »

Until it gets smacked by the wishbone when you hit a pothole.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2023, 20:37:29 »

The HID suspension sensors and the self levelling suspension sensor/ecu are not the same part or interchangeable

Yes, you are correct - my error in describing the rear headlight level sensor on the rear nearside suspension arm as suspension level sensor, rather than head light level sensor.
But the front and rear headlight level sensors are both the same part numbers I quoted - the superceded part numbers for are different for the two - not sure why really but there we go....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2023, 20:45:04 »

The arm on the sensor bracket isn't spring loaded Chris - it just adopts whatever position the wishbone or rear swinging arm causes it to be in!

thanks.
maybee mine (although working fine) does have a slight fault anyway . it never had any error message when the car was bought but the lights didnt move .arm was off.
putting the arm back on made them work again.its been mentioned that the ecu looks for movement signals that suggest the car is driving. and i suppose that unkess we found a road that was as smooth as glass it would alwaysdetect this ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 January 2023, 21:35:37 »

The HID suspension sensors and the self levelling suspension sensor/ecu are not the same part or interchangeable

Yes, you are correct - my error in describing the rear headlight level sensor on the rear nearside suspension arm as suspension level sensor, rather than head light level sensor.
But the front and rear headlight level sensors are both the same part numbers I quoted - the superceded part numbers for are different for the two - not sure why really but there we go....
It’s because the Vectra C platform from which they come has a very different rear suspension arrangement to the Omega ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 January 2023, 21:38:32 »

The xenon ecu is about the same size as the engine one, whereas the level control 'ecu' is the ride height sensor itself.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2023, 09:16:52 »

I have that annoying “Headlight Range” warning message showing, which stays on until I cancel it.

I have had this before on my other Omega’s, and know their is a device on one of the front suspension arms. 

On a 2003 3.2 what side is it on please?  Thinking how hard it may be to find a replacement part, can the old one be successfully cleaned up to make it work properly, or is it a case of hunting for a replacement please?  If so, has anyone got the part number for that device?

Many thanks. ;)

In answer to your actual question Lizzie - it is highly likely to be the ball joints on the rod that have seized, rather than the sensor failing. I have successfully cleaned up, lubricated and reused the rod from my existing ones previously. They need removing from the car, lubricating, and very gently work each balljoint gently until its movement is acceptable without force.
The headlight level and suspension level sensors originally were the same part number - 9117094, but this NLS. However the respective the part numbers have been replaced by 93197245 (headlight) and 93197514 (suspension). The rod is part number 9117095 which hasnt been superceeded.
Availability though, may be the difficulty.
When Omega were relatively common in breakers, I removed good arms just for spares, which is your last option, but they are just as likely to in the condition yours are at present.. I'm however certain you will be able to resurrect your own with care.

Thanks Jonnydog, that info is very useful. :y :y

The rain has for the moment stopped falling here so I am going to get the wheels off and investigate properly  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 January 2023, 09:19:23 »

But mine is due an MOT, so would this not amount to a “Failure” ?  How did you get around that please? ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.