Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windshield replacement > dead rain sensor  (Read 5303 times)

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
Windshield replacement > dead rain sensor
« on: 27 January 2023, 19:46:27 »

Hello.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving on the motorway a heard a loud 'POP' sound. A few minutes later there was a small crack on the windshield. At the end of the trip it was thrice the size, so the windshield had to be replaced.

Through my insurance I contacted with a Carglass workshop. Carglass is Berlon's brand in my country, equal to Autoglass in the UK. After a week or so they contacted me to say that the glass was ready and yesterday I brought them the car.

They installed a glass from the brand Fuyao. I haven't complained because I understand that an Omega windshield might be hard to source in 2023.

The glass is perfectly ok but the rain sensor is not working. When I set the switch in the automatic position (marked "--" in the switch) it makes 2 sweeps and then it makes another 2 sweeps every 5 second or so. The 2 sweeps pattern keeps on forever regardless of the presence of water, so it seems that either the sensor is not working or the car has decided to ignore it for some reason. It has always worked flawlessly, and it was working couple of days ago, so I'm positive that the problem came with the windshield replacement.

Today I brought the car back to the workshop and they haven't been able to make it work. The have removed and reconnected the sensor, removed the battery, the fuse controlling the wipers a a few things more. There were no sensor related errors registered.

They are going to order a new sensor, but maybe the issue is not the sensor but the glass of some other glitch. I'm thinking the problem is the glass itself, which seems a bit darker than the old one (and says "Solar tint", which the old didn't).

Anyone had any experiences with windshield replacements and rain sensors. Is there anything special to do after windshield replacement in order to get it working again?

Best regards.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2023, 20:01:31 by WinRAR »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield replacement > dead rain sensor
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2023, 20:08:55 »

They are going to order a new sensor, but maybe the issue is not the sensor but the glass of some other glitch. I'm thinking the problem is the glass itself, which seems a bit darker than the old one (and says "Solar tint", which the old didn't).

So the new screen has a Purple tint to it?

I believe if the old one didn't you need to get someone with a Tech II to change the coding for the Rain Sensitive Wipers for a Solar tint screen
« Last Edit: 27 January 2023, 20:22:14 by VXL V6 »

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2023, 21:16:51 »

So the new screen has a Purple tint to it?

I believe if the old one didn't you need to get someone with a Tech II to change the coding for the Rain Sensitive Wipers for a Solar tint screen

It is rather greenish than purple. Very close to the tint of the windows.

I have no Tech II, but I do have an "My Naff Code Reader" unit. Will it do it?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2023, 22:18:42 »

That doesn't sound like a 'Heat Reflective' windscreen as they have a purple tint.

speedy_ns

• Novi Sad Serbia
    • Omega B 2.5 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2023, 08:27:12 »

The glass is perfectly ok but the rain sensor is not working. When I set the switch in the automatic position (marked "--" in the switch) it makes 2 sweeps and then it makes another 2 sweeps every 5 second or so. The 2 sweeps pattern keeps on forever regardless of the presence of water, so it seems that either the sensor is not working or the car has decided to ignore it for some reason. It has always worked flawlessly, and it was working couple of days ago, so I'm positive that the problem came with the windshield replacement.

Today I brought the car back to the workshop and they haven't been able to make it work. The have removed and reconnected the sensor, removed the battery, the fuse controlling the wipers a a few things more. There were no sensor related errors registered.

I have the same problem. I replaced mine last year and I couldn't find (order) original windshield with UV protection. Next best option was regular glas  (slightly tinted greenish like rest of them) but sensor now works as you described..

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2023, 10:41:33 »

So I either get a "heat reflecting" UV filtering windshield or lose the sensor.

Aren't "Solar tint" sensors available? What about setting the sensibility of the sensor via Tech II as suggested in the third message?

The insurance is theoretically paying everything, so installing a new proper "heat reflecting" windshield should be no issue. The problem might be sourcing it.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2023, 10:51:02 by WinRAR »

speedy_ns

• Novi Sad Serbia
    • Omega B 2.5 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2023, 16:23:06 »

When I was changing mine only one shop wanted to bother with ordering one, and even they couldn't say how long would I have to wait for it ( it was at least 45 days as I remember and I had an MOT coming) so I had to take what they have in stock....
Also, I tried switch on ''auto'' position with disconnected sensor, and then nothing happened ( wipers didn't move at all), so my guess is that sensor is ok, but it doesn't work with replacement windshield imported from who knows where...
I don't believe GM made different sensors for uv/non uv windshield so maybe Tech 2 could help...

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2023, 18:53:42 »

According to this online EPC, there are 5 different GM part numbers for Omega windshields, 3 non compatible with rain sensor fitted vehicles and 2 compatible.

Non compatible are described as "laminated, clear", "laminated, tinted" and "laminated, heat reflective".

Compatible are labeled

• "laminated, heat reflective (for rain sensor) (ident nq)", part nr. 161077, GM part nr. 24433002
and
  • "laminated (ident np) (for rain sensor) (exc. heat reflective windscreen)", part nr. 161078, GM part nr. 24433003

Those two sensor compatible windscreens are compatible with 2 different rain sensors, whose difference is compatibility with heat reflective windscreens:

• "Windscreen rain sensor (ident jg) (exc. heat reflective windscreen) (production no. 24402747)", part nr. 6238201 and GM part nr. 93170202
and
  • "Windscreen rain sensor (ident ua) (for heat reflective windscreen) (production no. 24456424)", part nr. 6238211 and GM part nr. 93171184.

That online EPC is everything I can check right now. Just to be sure, I'll be very grateful if anyone with a working EPC can check which windshield and sensors match my car's VIN.

So it seems that they have fitted the wrong windshield in my car. According to the information above, I'll get back my rain sensor either by changing the windshield for a heat reflective one or by changing the sensor for a non heat reflective one.

What should I pick? Is "heat reflective" (which I understand as UV filtering) so much better than non heat reflective?

EDIT: My VIN at that page says that it has "A23 Windscreen, heat reflective" windshield. Can anyone confirm with a proper offline EPC. PM me VIN please.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2023, 19:03:52 by WinRAR »

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2023, 19:23:03 »

Also, I tried switch on ''auto'' position with disconnected sensor, and then nothing happened ( wipers didn't move at all), so my guess is that sensor is ok, but it doesn't work with replacement windshield imported from who knows where...
I don't believe GM made different sensors for uv/non uv windshield so maybe Tech 2 could help...

Good to know. That means that my sensor is unharmed and working after windshield replacement.

As for the sensors, it seems that they made indeed 2 different sensors for HR and non HR windscreens.

BTW, online EPC page for the windscreens: https://webautocats.com/epc/opel/v94/b8/1/
« Last Edit: 28 January 2023, 19:40:59 by WinRAR »

speedy_ns

• Novi Sad Serbia
    • Omega B 2.5 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2023, 19:29:56 »

I didn't know that. 12 Omegas changed and still learning  ;D
If insurance is paying I would definitely go for UV reflecting one. I like how it looks and it's the factory fitted on your car.  It is more expensive therefore the shop mounted cheaper one...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2023, 22:24:09 »

It's not unusual for the fitters to lose the transparent spacer pad between the sensor and the screen, this affects the sensors view and can cause issues.  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2023, 04:46:21 »

It's not unusual for the fitters to lose the transparent spacer pad between the sensor and the screen, this affects the sensors view and can cause issues.  :-\

That pad is GM part nr. 95599252? Pic of the part:

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2023, 10:33:03 »

Windscreen fitter should have checked and recalibrated the rain sensor. I would take it back and ask them to put it right.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

WinRAR

• Opel Omega 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2023, 14:44:45 »

This morning I have asked at Opel for the availability of part nr. 161077 and, as expected, it is out of catalog. This afternoon I'm going to ask for third party parts. Let's hope there are some around. That online EPC list a couple of Pilkington references for it as "analogs".

Windscreen fitter should have checked and recalibrated the rain sensor. I would take it back and ask them to put it right.

I already did it. They have no Tech II but a generic tool which didn't list any sensor or car body errors. I saw it myself. Maybe Tech II would be able to catch it or maybe the sensor doesn't throw any error at all, but these mutibrand workshops are what they are and have just generic resources. I left with the agreement that they were going to order a new sensor. I didn't know back then that the issue was the windscreen and not the sensor.

Besides, I think that the sensors are what they are and cannot be recalibrated, but who knows... Lesson learned: whenever possible, go to official workshop.

In a couple of hours I'm going back there with all the relevant EPC stuff printed. If the part is available, I think they'll bring it and install it. Let's see...
« Last Edit: 30 January 2023, 15:01:16 by WinRAR »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2023, 16:02:01 »

The Omega isn't exactly OBD compliant ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.