Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv6 3.0 oily water  (Read 3490 times)

oregad

• View Profile
Mv6 3.0 oily water
« on: 27 January 2023, 23:05:11 »

Hio, first post hope not last.

So I've had this omega for 2 months now, stomped to discover oil in water, dreaded.

Also have niagria-fall waterleak in the rear side of the engine (opting it's the oil cooler though, havn't looked too deep into it) since bought.

What else can it be. . And how hard is it to break the engine in two and change HG? Never done no more advanced than timing belts ... im big blue right now.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Mv6 3.0 oily water
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2023, 23:36:40 »

Could well be the OIL cooler failed
the coolant leak at the rear of engine could be HBV (heater bypass valve) very common fail  ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193264835590
Welcome to the Forum  :)

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2023, 23:48:39 »

Could well be the OIL cooler failed
the coolant leak at the rear of engine could be HBV (heater bypass valve) very common fail  ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193264835590
Welcome to the Forum  :)
Hio Dave!

Fingers crossed. Guess it doesn't add up not checking. But im stomped, Dead end big sad right now, cant even eat lol.

Yeah, the HBV ... strange thing, why doesnt 20xev have it? Must be something about higher pressure in the v6.
Anyway, yeah it was leaking. Swapped it recently, not the hoses though. But it was spraying a mist of coolant when it became active. Never seen anything like it.

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2023, 23:52:10 »

Car is running great, revving as it should. No other symtoms of it being HG other than, yeah ... oily water (and some silly smoke, but not excessive), oh and also the ridiculous leak, empties itself when driving normally. Not while idle though. No water in oil so what ever.

found the oily water just now, after doing some not-so-kosher intervention to the coolant water.

Why im asking here. Hate even to think pulling the plenum apart. It's not that bad, is it?
« Last Edit: 27 January 2023, 23:55:16 by oreggad »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2023, 00:00:23 »

The HBV leak may be slowdd by adjusting the cabin temperature settings to the opposite of what they are now, which I appreciate won't be great given your location.

That part is typically €20 and can be considered a service item.

Oil cooler failure is unfortunately going to involve a creative solution as they are less common than a zero alcohol Finnish vodka in a bar.
Onanists always think outside the box.

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2023, 00:04:43 »

The HBV leak may be slowdd by adjusting the cabin temperature settings to the opposite of what they are now, which I appreciate won't be great given your location.

That part is typically €20 and can be considered a service item.

Oil cooler failure is unfortunately going to involve a creative solution as they are less common than a zero alcohol Finnish vodka in a bar.
Allready swapped the HBV (which was leaky), identified the leak from the back of the block with my finger. Thought I felt it from the centre, not above where the oil cooler is, i.e. no hose leakage as I would persume.
Silly question, regarding it's an oil cooler, but would it contaminate the water? No water in oil.

Maybe an idea pressure-testing and having an inspection camera at the back would be an idea to visibily see the leak...

Any ideas or thread of these creative solutions regarding the oil cooler? Haynes only recommend putting (vauxhall) "sealant 15 03 296" in the groove and new sealing washer on the pipe union.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2023, 00:23:14 by oreggad »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2023, 09:00:47 »

Oil cooler failure is typically seen by oil in the coolant[but not the other way round]swapping one is not a particularly difficult job and I believe there's a guide on here in the maintenance section on how to do it.
I understand that some cars[about 1998?] had a problem with head gaskets leaking to the outside of the head/block towards the rear but others would know better about this than me.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2023, 09:44:52 »

Just fitted a Vectra stainless oil cooler to my 3.0L , okay it was in the engine stand so a bit easier but not to bad. In the car it would be a fair bit of stripping down just to get the oil pipes out of the way.

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2023, 14:10:12 »

Oil cooler failure is typically seen by oil in the coolant[but not the other way round]swapping one is not a particularly difficult job and I believe there's a guide on here in the maintenance section on how to do it.
I understand that some cars[about 1998?] had a problem with head gaskets leaking to the outside of the head/block towards the rear but others would know better about this than me.
Said to the one having a 98 mv6 with leakage at pressure behind the head/block. BAH  :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2023, 18:00:46 »

Said to the one having a 98 mv6 with leakage at pressure behind the head/block. BAH  :o
Panic not, that's usually a weep.  ;)

When the HBV fails it will dump coolant as fast as the waterpump can supply it. As you've recently discovered.

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2023, 22:51:59 »

Panic not, that's usually a weep.  ;)

When the HBV fails it will dump coolant as fast as the waterpump can supply it. As you've recently discovered.
Third time's a charm, it's most likely not the HBV as I've allready changed the piece. Checked all hoses and non is wet, while there were liquid around the block/head. Running down the left side of the gearbox.

Started the bastard today and talking about weeps, more smoke than I'm comfortable with was pushing its way out of the exhaust-pipe. Gotta pull the plenum off and have a look before doing any more time with engine on. Anxiety-triggering car right now..
« Last Edit: 28 January 2023, 23:07:25 by oreggad »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2023, 23:10:26 »

In which case there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that you know what the problem is :y

The bad news?

Well, you know what the problem is...

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2023, 00:51:12 »

In which case there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that you know what the problem is :y

The bad news?

Well, you know what the problem is...
Double up the bad news, only got outside parking. On a crossroad, either i fix it (dyi) or I put it aside and wait for a time to place another engine in. Lovely machine except the engine at this moment.

Cant be 100% right now it's the HG though, as I havn't pulled the plenum off, is it wishful thinking?   :-\ Hit the jackpot, that's for sure.

Wish I had a workshop, turboboosted saab engine+omega body is win.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2023, 00:56:02 by oreggad »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2023, 01:41:04 »

Replacing the head gasket is a straight forward job, slightly complicated by doing it twice, once for each bank.

Probably €3-400 in parts if you just replace the head gaskets, cambelt and head bolts and a weekends work. Cambelt is the only tricky part in terms of the actual doings.

oregad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2023, 02:53:44 »

Thanks for the reinforcement of confidence!

Gotta locate the leak for starters.
Went out to the car just now, only to find that it had barfed out the complete expansion tank (above the lower hose) of coolant under itself (within matter of hours while coldstart -> ran for 30 sec), nothing new.
Makes me wonder though, Holds water while just standing, apperantly loses 1L at just turning over. No contamination of water in oil as i've seen.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2023, 02:58:31 by oreggad »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.