Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual 2.6 Elite for sale  (Read 10977 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Manual 2.6 Elite for sale
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2023, 10:56:24 »

AXA are messing me about on insurance - very happy to take my money to change vehicle with a promise of 30 days temp cover for the old mig but when I try and take out the temp insurance it says 'not available'.  So insurance runs out this Thursday when I pick up the newer car.  Meaning I have to SORN it from 1/2/23. Problem is the local place I will store it off road won't be happy having it long. Also any buyer will need to arrange insurance and tax or bring trade plates just to test drive it. 

So I did the unthinkable, contacted scrapyards.  The first one came back with £800 and wanted to collect it today!  I really really don't want to do that. :'(  I recognise OOF members may take her apart for spares but that doesn't seem so bad as a local scrapyard for some reason. I'll also contact the dealer who is selling me the merc cl, if they make a decent offer I may take that as it will save me a lot of hassle collecting the new one.

So please get a move on, I will wait a week.  £850 offer includes all the spares I mentioned, one slight issue is that the FAI wishbones are in Gloucestershire and I can't collect them until 13th Feb. 

Will take some pics of the inside today - its very clean I just need to dust it first. Comes with new gearstick gaiter and Omega floor mats as you will see.
Can you rent a lockup for a few weeks to give you a bit more time? That, or a local farmer/landowner/ caravan storage place that can give you a few weeks to sort it with less haste.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2023, 11:24:01 »

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  To be honest scrapping is begining to look more attractive than selling.  To save everyone time, £850 no offers.  Except the one person who by pm questioned my scrap quote - £900 to him.

Here are the last pics I plan to take:

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2023, 12:20:12 »

Apologies to one person, looks like my £800 scrap quote is exceptional. SRC quoted £351.75!  However the £800 quote is real and they will collect so I think its going to happen. 

Because the yard asked if it was due to ULEZ I now suspect the high price is due to the ULEZ scrappage scheme offering a flat £2K to anyone on benefits.  Unfortunately (or arguably fortunately) I am not.

See https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/scrappage-schemes/car-and-motorcycle  Nice £1.2K profit for any scrapyard who can navigate Khan's rules.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2023, 13:11:16 »

Such a shame  :(
All because of a "green policy" which has already proven uneconomic and unworkable  >:(

And the idea that a scrap yard or other third party will make a big profit (tax payer's money) to take a nice car with LONG MOT is disgusting  :-X

what a shameful disgrace, and a sad "GREAT" Briton we live in  :( 

Also a great loss to Mr Omega2018  :( bacause the £800 "scrap payment" will probably be used pretty quickly by service costs for the newer "green" replacement .

What is also really sad is that a manual V6 is probably worth £2k all day long to the right buyer ,but the short window available means that is unlikely to happen  :(

Sorry for your loss Mr Omega2018 (both financial and a car that has been a part of your life for years )

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2023, 13:14:03 »

All of the above.

The ones currently on Ebay and Auto trader are mostly a bag of rotten apples, so nice, useable ones aren't readily available. With a bit of time it should find a decent home.
Onanists always think outside the box.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2023, 14:09:22 »

Also a great loss to Mr Omega2018  :( bacause the £800 "scrap payment" will probably be used pretty quickly by service costs for the newer "green" replacement .

Too right, it will be spent on petrol - the 5.5litre merc is a bit thirstier than the mig! £90 has already gone in increased insurance.

I've just put an old battery in and will be drving it to its SORN location now, will SORN it when I get back. Also removed the solar panels and the pull-out blind.  I will get a list of spares together and let the list know.

Particularly annoying about the ULEZ, apart from a 5.5 litre car being compliant when a 2.6 isn't, is that this mig, had it been registered in 2002 instead of 2001, exact same engine, would be ULEZ compliant. Just the sort of stupidity that gives green legislation (which I would normally be in favour of) a bad name.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2023, 14:40:04 »

A solution might be to buy a compliant 2.2 Omega with a blown engine and swap everything over. But you've really got to want to do that :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2023, 14:46:38 »

I would put it on ebay with a starting bid of £1000.
I would bet it will be in the emerald isle by this time next week.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2023, 18:58:21 »

The reason for that price is the 2 large cats, ring them back and say you've removed them, the price they offer would be interesting. There's lots of decent motors being scrapped because of Khunt ulez.
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2023, 21:59:22 »

The reason for that price is the 2 large cats, ring them back and say you've removed them, the price they offer would be interesting. There's lots of decent motors being scrapped because of Khunt ulez.
when I had my Omega's cats stolen  :( Someone on oof said the 4 cats off a V6 had a scrap value of £350 if scrapped legally

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2023, 19:34:25 »

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this is being scrapped  :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 February 2023, 20:01:08 »

The reason for that price is the 2 large cats, ring them back and say you've removed them, the price they offer would be interesting.

We scrapped my sister's battleworn Hyundai last month, and it made £350 by filling in one web form. It was collected 2 days later. All they wanted to know was did it have a battery and the factory cat. It didn't even need to run. That's the fifth car I know of sold for more than you could possibly expect trying to sell by traditional methods, and without any of the hassle of dealing with the idiots who can't afford to buy cheap cars general public.

If I had an Omega I needed to get rid of, I'd take a bid of £800 from a similar company in a heartbeat. Five years ago I struggled to get £250 for my mechanically sorted, not too rotten, got a good interior 3.0l estate. The man who bought wanted the engine and gearbox, and had a buyer for the interior.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2023, 20:06:18 »

You could always buy it  ;)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 February 2023, 00:41:33 »

You could always buy it  ;)

I would if I had the space, I'm all omega'd out!

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 February 2023, 00:43:27 »

Sure if he put it on some of the facebook omega groups it would get snapped up, guys always on there looking for manuals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.