Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converting a solid disc rear brake caliper for a 2.6 omega  (Read 1263 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
converting a solid disc rear brake caliper for a 2.6 omega
« on: 02 February 2023, 14:33:42 »

Hi

I am sure I read a post on here, about being able to convert solid disc brake calipers, to use on a 2.6 Omega with vented discs. By splitting the damage vented disc caliper and fittiing the spacer from it to the solid brake caliper. So it will work on the vented discs.  If it will work is there any specific size caliper, for example off a 2.2? Also would the fact that the pistons off the solid discs are smaller, make any difference to the braking, when made up to fit on the 2.6? Also what refurb kit, would I need to get the O rings, for the spacer piece, when fitting in the solid disc caliper?

The reason why I am asking is that I am going to be doing some work on the brake system on my 2.6. When last I did some work on them, I wasn't really happy with how they looked. The bleed nipple has snapped level with the caliper on the one and it looks like a ease out, has been snapped in it.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: converting a solid disc rear brake caliper for a 2.6 omega
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2023, 15:35:28 »

There's four bolts to split the caliper, just go easy undoing them. You will also require seals to replace the existing ones, but you will need the old ones for dimensions.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2023, 16:29:14 »

Thanks DG for the quick reply.  I have found refurb kits including all the O ring seals for both the solid and vented calipers. Would I need the vented caliper kit, even though converting solid caliper to vented using the spacer, or the would I need the solid caliper kit?

Here are links to the different kits

Vented refurb kit

Solid disc
[url]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334655647009?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item4deb07ed21:g:mBwAAOSw1oVi-kyO&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwCflfYfanOJVg7QjN4Gj57BrMByLVdjiBBOdIeSMKeVOtBdKfi%2B%2BXXm0njuQhbHj3TLxnwGeBQIzgGk7Nmr6OhZRkrPBq98EyUNjrSMoqp8uG2XQxSckFnBLnvsSAnSiuihieReqiweAg2INl2bS5bFTkucCb0Xorx4c4hdyQJEKOPeTJM%2BSOqJqGHK%2FkGJJO8nrYO9uMn6uc4EAn3%2Fr2bKwNvuXMr7bHBlf8r%2FQ%2B5%2BmERiSLld%2BDdhUZ%2Bfv1Cu0%2Bg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rVja_CYQ]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333977623776?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item4dc29e1ce0:g:mBwAAOSw1oVi-kyO&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwGaIRW7c5%2BK6iBMH5cRiWfDTrFcUbI5aOsup%2Ffi1jNbVoRkaxAa3zkdrnkO6AprgZDr3whvyUoiF0Jw%2B9Ox7lYwJPq111ouJfeoPmIs2t3VXrgv5IFFk3bNWF%2BGjDmDhpu9FBLg%2ByKnMrRwJiUzfmLvgSUInHjuRNVuya8NswfeYWu2VaEzlqAz5E13PwxRfldDF2lW84hCbaBCaWoeXJSXMR%2BhndKBXcVE621vgX0tOcp6rz1sjVpyXbJAohoGzDA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rVja_CYQ/url]

Solid disc
[url]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334655647009?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item4deb07ed21:g:mBwAAOSw1oVi-kyO&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwCflfYfanOJVg7QjN4Gj57BrMByLVdjiBBOdIeSMKeVOtBdKfi%2B%2BXXm0njuQhbHj3TLxnwGeBQIzgGk7Nmr6OhZRkrPBq98EyUNjrSMoqp8uG2XQxSckFnBLnvsSAnSiuihieReqiweAg2INl2bS5bFTkucCb0Xorx4c4hdyQJEKOPeTJM%2BSOqJqGHK%2FkGJJO8nrYO9uMn6uc4EAn3%2Fr2bKwNvuXMr7bHBlf8r%2FQ%2B5%2BmERiSLld%2BDdhUZ%2Bfv1Cu0%2Bg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rVja_CYQ

Thanks again for the help.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2023, 16:56:58 »

Vented disc kit will be just right ;)

The only caveat is that you may also need the solid disc piston seals to allow for the different sizes... 40mm (solid) vs 42mm (vented).

Incidentally, the four small o rings are for either side of the two spacers ;)

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2023, 18:18:30 »

The vented 42mm bores vs 40mm gives you about 10% more braking force applied to the rear discs.

Is it that the problem you want to fix is that one of your existing vented rear calipers has a sheared off bleed screw that might have a broken extractor in it? Nearside or offside? Your request on the forum for a spare hasn't produced any result?

If so can anybody weld a nut onto the broken bleeder and get it out that way? Or recommend somebody who can?

Assuming you have a usable pair of non-vented calipers available then I suppose you could simply install a pair of solid discs to match. That might be cheaper and easier.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2023, 18:42:22 »

this is the hard thing to get your mind round on a technical level.
for a given amount of fluid going in to a caliper it will either move a smaller piston further or a larger piston less but over a larger area. you would think the actual pressure applied to the pad would be the same in theory.or is it something to do with leverage, less movement equalls more actual torque(as such ?)

also .back to the original caliper issues. ive had success in the past by welding a nut onto a broken nipple to remove it. depends on how far in its broken off at. also by giving it a good few clouts first to releive its taper .pentrating oil well in advance too .

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2023, 22:33:37 »

The reason why I am asking is that I am going to be doing some work on the brake system on my 2.6. When last I did some work on them, I wasn't really happy with how they looked. The bleed nipple has snapped level with the caliper on the one and it looks like a ease out, has been snapped in it.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

If the existing bleed nipple has sheared off & can't be drilled out due to an Eazi-out, I'd be finding a local machine place that can spark erode the old nipple (& Eazi-out) out. Far easier IMHO than trying to convert to sold disc

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2023, 03:19:17 »

The vented 42mm bores vs 40mm gives you about 10% more braking force applied to the rear discs.

Is it that the problem you want to fix is that one of your existing vented rear calipers has a sheared off bleed screw that might have a broken extractor in it? Nearside or offside? Your request on the forum for a spare hasn't produced any result?

If so can anybody weld a nut onto the broken bleeder and get it out that way? Or recommend somebody who can?

Assuming you have a usable pair of non-vented calipers available then I suppose you could simply install a pair of solid discs to match. That might be cheaper and easier.
But someone at Vauxhall decided that, regardless of whether the Omega warrants having vented rear discs, that it should have them.

The pad area remains the same regardless.

I suspect that it is due to the way the TC works on later V6 cars rather than for the purposes of normal braking..

The other related issue is that the Omega vented calipers cannot be bought new, so you either modify the solid caliper to work, or you revert to  solid discs and accept that at some point the TC/ABS performance might suffer in slippery conditions.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2023, 10:59:34 »

Or send it to Bigg Red and get it overhauled.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2023, 13:46:33 »

Well had another look, at the bleed nipple. It turned out to be a snapped drill bit, which I managed to get out. But the bleed nipple is definately fubar. What I might do at a later date, is take the caliper off and see if I can, drill it out so there is only a small bit left inside the thread, making it easier to remove then clean up the threads and overall the caliper. Done it before on the front caliper, on the 2ltr omega.

The discussion on the upgrading a solid disc caliper to a vented one is a interesting read.  If I understand correct, what is being said is that the braking efficency will be reduced, so it isn't really a good idea to do the conversion?  Is that correct?

Another thing I found as I have been doing research, on sorting the bleed nipple. Is a insert and a bleed nipple, where you drill out the old bleed nipple and fit the new insert, with red threadloc and just fit the bleed nipple into it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334675002640?hash=item4dec2f4510:g:V~UAAOSw6C1jpGYq&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsAlPIH0Jpx71jV7m%2BCGvnKsezQrEBbyb4h7vUr%2BMSJvVMK2pyRXFebM1ID407o9uw8HGBKIOAC4VcFgBaJiqQzbHsm%2FyIaRB1UhygqwRu8sv%2FlcmnSsJNWUbmCJ71QQn89miepQyLQMrJpiNkMdjoEoMmnTlwqzsYbtj3mTe3FXOfI7QhYvkCti%2BzEHL%2Bc5KLyB8UveEfWdLKcAO1zija%2BNU5RdEptXsxik%2FcTzW7caL%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_yNtPjCYQ

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2023, 14:15:14 »

I'm pretty sure that the Omega uses M8 bleed nipples though.
I've managed to drill out the remnants of bleed nipples in the past, but that's while the caliper has been held in a vice on a milling machine.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2023, 15:02:04 »

Converting the caliper to fit a vented disc won't make a noticeable difference to you or the car. The front brakes do most of the actual work, and on the later V6 the rear brakes support the traction control.

Personally, I would convert the calipers and keep the vented discs ;)

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2023, 18:08:49 »

The issue with the insert repair kit is that you also need to buy a good quality non-standard sized (9.9mm) drill bit, a 7/16-20 tap set and a bottle of the red Loctite threadlock. It might be cheaper overall to get a professional shop to remove the broken bleed screw. Either by welding a nut or spark erosion. Alas these places are getting harder to find.

You haven't said which side of the car has the broken screw? You might have better luck in the wanted section if you ask for the caiiper you need in the wanted section as opposed to a pair.

I'm pretty sure that the Omega uses M8 bleed nipples though.
Fronts are M8x1.25 Part #90369391
Rears are M7x1.0 (x 41mm ?) Part #90297538
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.