Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternator Faulty - or something else?  (Read 1131 times)

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
Alternator Faulty - or something else?
« on: 15 February 2023, 15:45:29 »

I have a 'barn find' (was my father's old car) 03 plate Omega V6 2.6 with 45k miles that had sat in a dry garage for 7 years that's previously been discussed on this forum with a fuel issue - since resolved thank you - and been working nicely - or so I thought.

I noted that the old battery apparently wouldn't hold charge, so I replaced the battery with brand new one.

I've probably driven 100 miles with it since the new battery fitted over the past week - often with lights on. This morning I came to start the car  - it seemed a bit reluctant to turn over but went off OK. Drove 15 miles to where I was going (lights on) and then couldn't restart it. Left the car to sit for a few hours while in a meeting - came out and it restarted OK. No warning lights for any of this time.

On the drive home - the battery light came on - dimmly though - along with the ABS and EML. I carried on driving. Then - after a few miles some more lights lit and after another mile or two the whole dashboard went dead - no tacho, speedo, fuel / temp gauges - but the car kept going... Drove a bit further and then it cut out entirely...

Charged the battery for 15 mins from a good running car and then started it. This time the battery light came on brightly - and got the car home without further incident.

I expected that a full alternator failure would have brought the battery light on brightly - but given that the battery seemed not to be charging well for the long period - is there anything I or the garage should be investigating.

Thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator Faulty - or something else?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2023, 15:53:52 »

Kevin Wood produced a starting/charging guide in the FAQ section.

Follow it implicitly and report back.
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator Faulty - or something else?
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2023, 21:58:36 »

As above ^^^

Use a multimeter to check what’s going on. When mine showed the same symptoms it was the regulator within the alternator. Easy enough part to swap out, you just run a bit blind putting the alternator bolts back in. Do the meter test to confirm though.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.