Chat Area > General Car Chat

TomTom,Garmin or Navman

(1/5) > >>

RobG:
Any and all opinions gratefully received regarding which one to get. Obviously they all have numerous specs, just wondering about accuracy, reliability etc. TIA :y

TheBoy:

--- Quote ---Any and all opinions gratefully received regarding which one to get. Obviously they all have numerous specs, just wondering about accuracy, reliability etc. TIA :y
--- End quote ---
With regard to accuracy - there are 2 mapping companies, which all satnav providers have to use:

Navteq
Teleatlas

These are broadly similar in mapping accuracy, expect to find minor errors with both, not normally a problem.

Reliability from a 'stop working' point of view, again in my experience, similar. All are build to a cost, and suffer equal unreliability. You may buy a tomtom unit and it lasts 5yrs, next person buys the same one and it lasts 13 months.  To be honest, map updates are not far off the cost of a new unit, so probably cheaper to replace the unit every 1.5-2yrs than update the mapping.

As to satellite reception, all work reasonably well unless you have heated screens or that metalised windows that reduces the signal.  All portable units WILL let you down in cities and in woods, none of them will provide the resilience and accuracy of a built in system in 'difficult' areas.

Portable ones also leave the tell-tale signs on the windscreen, ensuring your car will get broken into (regardless of whether you take the unit with you or leave in glovebox)

So, assuming you can't afford or don't want built in, go for what matches your needs - tomtom and navman often have larger screens than garmin etc.

RobG:
Thanks for the in-depth response TB :y

STMO123:
I, personally, use the A-Z paper navigation system ::) It's never let me down :y

crazyjoetavola:

--- Quote ---I, personally, use the A-Z paper navigation system ::) It's never let me down :y
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't argue with that one STMO :y :y

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version