Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Traction control question  (Read 6899 times)

martin42

Re: Traction control question
« Reply #30 on: 17 July 2012, 19:29:52 »

Where's the popcorn,and other munchies  ;D

mark3

• Rainahm Village~Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 July 2012, 12:43:35 »

I just don't see how something so simple cant be understood?

omega3000

« Reply #32 on: 19 July 2012, 14:02:00 »

Wow this is a long post ....got lost on the physics   ??? ;D  here   ;D ::) :y
::) ::) ::)

phew.. an interesting physics debate.. for exact proofs you need to solve many equations :-\

I can simply say that there is no meaning to have more friction force between tire/road vs disc/pads

because at the final point tires will have the last word ::)  so increasing one friction force alone on disc/pad  -may- have some effects but not bigger than tire/road friction force..

Hope you get it sorted .

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 July 2012, 14:29:49 »

Simple. Because you are saying that it is easier to stop a smaller tyre. True. but at the same vehicle velocity, when you take into account the weight of the omega, then the difference you are talking about is negligble.

If on the other hand, you were on a car lift, accelerating with no car weight to carry, then yes the smaller tyres would proably stop quicker. I suspect you could prove this by using the angular velocity equation?

Comparing like for like, at the same speed, the inertia of the car is the same, irrespective of the tyre size. Braking reduces the inertia. The first limiting step is tyre contact with the road and that is what usually lets go first. The next thing is pad size/friction. Then the lever action of the brake. In your case you have changed none of these (or rather gone for a smaller tyre contact patch), so how can you explain the benefit?

Happy for you to explain it to me mathematically if you prefer?
« Last Edit: 19 July 2012, 14:31:30 by D »
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

mark3

• Rainahm Village~Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 July 2012, 16:18:40 »

What velocity makes no difference, brakes are better over the whole speed range............... and when i say better i mean they are slowing the car better when exerting the same force on the brake pedal.

Im not talking about locking up the wheels or the tyres ability to grip the road surface or heat build up in the disc, thats going beyond what i mean, its simple physics, the smaller the diameter of the tread surface in comparison to where the brake friction material is located between tread and hub the less force required to slow or stop! i cant think of a simpler way of explaining it.

As i said i never fitted these tyres to gain better brakes or more direct steering, i never even considered it but once they fitted and i noticed the difference i came to the blindingly obvious conclusion, it was along these lines "oh yeah, i never thought of that" lol

martin42

« Reply #35 on: 19 July 2012, 16:21:10 »

Why not do a before and after test,and use the brake machine at an mot station and compare the results,if as you say it has improved then surely the result would be higher braking power,or have I just lost the plot on here  :D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #36 on: 19 July 2012, 17:14:28 »

What velocity makes no difference, brakes are better over the whole speed range............... and when i say better i mean they are slowing the car better when exerting the same force on the brake pedal.

Im not talking about locking up the wheels or the tyres ability to grip the road surface or heat build up in the disc, thats going beyond what i mean, its simple physics, the smaller the diameter of the tread surface in comparison to where the brake friction material is located between tread and hub the less force required to slow or stop! i cant think of a simpler way of explaining it.

As i said i never fitted these tyres to gain better brakes or more direct steering, i never even considered it but once they fitted and i noticed the difference i came to the blindingly obvious conclusion, it was along these lines "oh yeah, i never thought of that" lol

mark , why do f1 cars use wide big tires instead of using small and narrow ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 July 2012, 12:57:56 »

I think you need to show us the maths, as currently, you haven't given any kind of explanation, other than said its fact.

That might help explain it. As to be honest, I still cannot see it.

:y
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 July 2012, 20:02:20 »

Me neither :-\

I blame the state of modern maths education ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.