Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega LPG Value  (Read 4700 times)

1stOmega

• View Profile
Omega LPG Value
« on: 11 December 2009, 15:52:08 »

Ive got a Vauxhall Omega Saloon with LPG conversion on a S Plate 1999 2.0 Auto CDX built in Phone and Extras only 70,000 on the clock how much it worth with a mot thanks for the help

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Omega LPG Value
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2009, 16:00:55 »

Hello and welcome... :y :y :y

If you're buying a Brand New car it's worth £2k... If you're just looking to sell then it's worth what someone will pay. :y :y :y

Tax? MOT? Service history? Last cambelt change? These all affect price IMHO but I'd be expecting £500-900 at the most TBH :-/ :-/

Edited because I was being a bit miserly ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 16:14:48 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2009, 16:01:41 »

Why are you looking to sell, see if youve been fleeced :question

Work carried out on it, pictures, condition all would help but as a guess maybe 600 -1000 depending on the lpg conversion :-/ :-/

EDIT - Must type faster and not be as generous with my valuations ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 16:02:29 by davethediver »
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2009, 16:02:48 »

LPG in reality makes little difference to the value of a car, you'd get abou £900 on a good day

pembroke

• Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2009, 16:33:36 »

LPG in reality makes little difference to the value of a car, you'd get abou £900 on a good day

If a car runs on LPG and greatly reduces fuel costs, why would that make little difference? I would pay more for a performance car that returned 50 mpg instead of 25mpg, sounds like common sense?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2009, 16:44:40 »

If a car runs on LPG and greatly reduces fuel costs, why would that make little difference? I would pay more for a performance car that returned 50 mpg instead of 25mpg, sounds like common sense?

Not a lot of people want LPG, they take up huge amounts of the boot, make them much more impractical, you can't fold down seats and push things through.

Unless you got for smaller hidden tanks, then range is an issue. LPG enabled car will sell for about the same as standrd petrol, onces listed £1k above book are just kidding themselves.

I am only doing it as i want to reduce my £400 a month fuel bill, with a car i know and trust.

90% of people just buy a car that works, and don't want to have to fiddle with LPG settings every so often.

If i had to buy again, and needed to keep fuel costs down i would go the diesel route, and not LPG, as its just as economical.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 16:46:33 by tunnie »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2009, 17:05:28 »

Not a lot of people want LPG, they take up huge amounts of the boot, make them much more impractical, you can't fold down seats and push things through.

Unless you got for smaller hidden tanks, then range is an issue. LPG enabled car will sell for about the same as standrd petrol, onces listed £1k above book are just kidding themselves.

I am only doing it as i want to reduce my £400 a month fuel bill, with a car i know and trust.

90% of people just buy a car that works, and don't want to have to fiddle with LPG settings every so often.

If i had to buy again, and needed to keep fuel costs down i would go the diesel route, and not LPG, as its just as economical.

I beg to differ... Diesel is twice the price of LPG, if not a bit more, and requires a lot more servicing. Plus, when an oil burner goes wrong it is expensive (as a generalisation) whereas a LPG/Petrol may be cheaper... Plus you get the fun and power of a big petrol for the same running costs as a hatchback :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2009, 17:35:05 »

Economy of Diesel v LPG....  :(

Running a 3.2 litre 1.5 tonne Omega it's costing me about 14 pence a mile on LPG.

With diesel costing 111 p a litre here .. thats £5.04 a gallon, on diesel I'd have to average 36 mpg to equal LPG costs.

Now there are lots of diesel motors that get better than 36 mpg ... but how many match the performance and comfort of my 3.2 Omega ??? 

:)

And thats ignoreing the previous post which I whole heartedly agree with

« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 17:35:48 by entwood »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2009, 17:38:40 »

But I will add that the potential inconvenience of having a tank does need to be included in the equation :y :y

All things considered... I'm still after a 3.2 estate, which I'll Gas Convert with the Stag kit and a toroidal tank in the spare wheel well, to run into the ground.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2009, 17:50:04 »

Economy of Diesel v LPG....  :(

Running a 3.2 litre 1.5 tonne Omega it's costing me about 14 pence a mile on LPG.

With diesel costing 111 p a litre here .. thats £5.04 a gallon, on diesel I'd have to average 36 mpg to equal LPG costs.

Now there are lots of diesel motors that get better than 36 mpg ... but how many match the performance and comfort of my 3.2 Omega ??? 

And thats ignoreing the previous post which I whole heartedly agree with

Thats whats putting me off converting the V6, i am averaging that now just on petrol! (slightly more id say 15p mile) - I spend all my time on the motorway so converting a 3.2 is not going to give me anything.

I am predicting 8/9p a mile on LPG if i can get 25mpg @ LPG 49.0 per litre, i get 31-35 on average with petrol, so i think 25 is do-able.

chipped 2.5 TD will easily do more than 36 on a run, id say more like 45-50, still have comfort of the Omega, smooth 6 pots, just not as much power.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 17:51:47 by tunnie »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2009, 17:58:24 »

I see your point entirely .... but the 14 p/mile is over nearly 2 years and includes towing a rather large caravan some decent distances .. ie  south of France !!!

Looking at the spreadsheet, on runs up to Huddersfield when the lad lived there, so mostly motorway cruising ... it was running at a shade under 9.0 pence a mile ... so using that it would need a diesel to get around 45 mpg to be equal .....:)

At the end of the day it's your choice .. I wanted the grunt and flexibility of the 3.2 petrol ... so bought one and gassed it ... but it wouldn't suit everyone.. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2009, 18:01:25 »

I see your point entirely .... but the 14 p/mile is over nearly 2 years and includes towing a rather large caravan some decent distances .. ie  south of France !!!

Looking at the spreadsheet, on runs up to Huddersfield when the lad lived there, so mostly motorway cruising ... it was running at a shade under 9.0 pence a mile ... so using that it would need a diesel to get around 45 mpg to be equal .....:)

At the end of the day it's your choice .. I wanted the grunt and flexibility of the 3.2 petrol ... so bought one and gassed it ... but it wouldn't suit everyone.. :)

Thats more like it, and what i expect to get. Main reason i am going LPG is i am no longer contracting and want to reduce my fuel bill. Also the amount of times a diesel has kept up with mother tunnies 3.0 is shocking  :o

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2009, 18:03:36 »

I'm in a similar situation to tunnie, 2.2 and somewhere in the region of 3-4K miles a month.

I had thought about the 3.2 and gassing it fuel prices in the uk are getting a bit steep >:(

But then their is the issue of insurance for us youths and the obligatory marks on the licence i would surely end up with ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2009, 18:06:16 »

I'm in a similar situation to tunnie, 2.2 and somewhere in the region of 3-4K miles a month.

I had thought about the 3.2 and gassing it fuel prices in the uk are getting a bit steep >:(

But then their is the issue of insurance for us youths and the obligatory marks on the licence i would surely end up with ;D ;D

Yup, insurance is more, i also find the 2.2 more relaxing to drive. Which is because i don't race anyone, in the Estate, i know i can 'have' that person, or if someone is tail gating, i can boot it away.

2.2 i know, i can't beat anything, so the cruise is set, and off i goes, i won't chase anything or try to boot it, because it just won't win.

Or maybe i need to control myself with more power under the toe  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2009, 19:04:47 »

Yup, insurance is more, i also find the 2.2 more relaxing to drive. Which is because i don't race anyone, in the Estate, i know i can 'have' that person, or if someone is tail gating, i can boot it away.

2.2 i know, i can't beat anything, so the cruise is set, and off i goes, i won't chase anything or try to boot it, because it just won't win.

Rather starngely I've found that I'm generally more sedate with a big car than when I was in my previous, less well powered cars....... Or perhaps that's just getting older :-/ :-/ ::) ::) ;D ;D

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2009, 19:31:33 »

Rather starngely I've found that I'm generally more sedate with a big car than when I was in my previous, less well powered cars....... Or perhaps that's just getting older :-/ :-/ ::) ::) ;D ;D

I do feel more in 'charge' in a big car and not as much to prove almost grown up  ;D ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2009, 21:01:13 »

slightly off topic i know but i'm considering putting a lpg kit on my 3ltr estate next year  :y
slight problem though ............. i need all the room in the back so it would have too be one of the tanks that fit in place of the spare wheel.

what is the largest tank that will fit and how far will it go on a tank full ?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 21:10:07 by tigers_gonads »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2009, 21:10:20 »

Not sure of the largest torodial that will fit .. but remember you can only fill an LPG tank to 80% for safety.

I reckon I'm getting an average of 18 mpg on LPG .. or 3.8 miles/ltr .. so my 80 litre tank, filled to 64 litres gives me, on average 250 miles - ish.

Thats over 18464 miles.

In reality when solo on a run I easily get 300-350 miles, solo around town about 230-250, towing I work on 180-200 miles between fills.

HTH
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 21:10:56 by entwood »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2009, 21:16:40 »

even at 150 miles to a tank ( around town ) then that will be pretty usefull  :y
i can live with 30 mpg plus on a run but a 3 ltr will kill me around town  :(

cheers   

ps    fancy a play in that a400m ??

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2009, 21:19:22 »

slightly off topic i know but i'm considering putting a lpg kit on my 3ltr estate next year  :y
slight problem though ............. i need all the room in the back so it would have too be one of the tanks that fit in place of the spare wheel.

I'm having a little look at this for my replacement next year. I'll have to get the dimensions of the spare wheel well from someone and have a look. I think you can get something like a 74L tank in there if you put a 1" lift on the floor (False floor) but not sure where that comes from! :-/ :-/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 December 2009, 21:21:08 »

are we still looking around 700 quid for the full kit ?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 December 2009, 21:40:49 »

even at 150 miles to a tank ( around town ) then that will be pretty usefull  :y

cheers   

When it gets into "operational service" it will be 2-pilot operation .. no seat for a Flight Engineer - like what I was :) - so even if I was still in no chance of a job on one :( If it does all it is supposed to, and their airships allow it to be used as desgined .. it could be a good "fun" plane to fly.

The Herc C130K at low level in tactical mode was hard work but good fun .. and many a single fighter found they could not "defeat" us..... trouble was as we were defenceless as soon as there were two of them we had little chance.. :(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 December 2009, 21:43:02 »

I'm having a little look at this for my replacement next year. I'll have to get the dimensions of the spare wheel well from someone and have a look. I think you can get something like a 74L tank in there if you put a 1" lift on the floor (False floor) but not sure where that comes from! :-/ :-/

Have a word with Sassanach, that's what he did with his sons old estate.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 December 2009, 21:57:29 »

are we still looking around 700 quid for the full kit ?

I think so... Slightly more if having a Toroidal tank I think :-/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 December 2009, 21:57:53 »

cheers   

When it gets into "operational service" it will be 2-pilot operation .. no seat for a Flight Engineer - like what I was :) - so even if I was still in no chance of a job on one :( If it does all it is supposed to, and their airships allow it to be used as desgined .. it could be a good "fun" plane to fly.

The Herc C130K at low level in tactical mode was hard work but good fun .. and many a single fighter found they could not "defeat" us..... trouble was as we were defenceless as soon as there were two of them we had little chance.. :(

yeh, i remember them well  ;D ;D
i got a jolly in a t bird ( lightning )  about 86  :y
went for a blat up the coast past " raf dogger bank "
topped up by a victor then went for play up north  :y
came across a herc at about 500 ft up near otterburn  :-/
i was amazed how well they could turn at such a slow speed.  we just kept pulling up and rolling over the top to come back down till we got board    :-/   or was it we was nearly out of fuel  :D :D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 December 2009, 22:04:41 »

whats the chance ( if we can get anough names ) of oof getting a discount and us having a lpg weekend  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2009, 22:06:59 »

i thought about it, but there is a LOT of work needed to fit LPG, 3 days work in total i would say, 2 at a push, its not something that can be done on mass.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2009, 22:14:57 »

shame that

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 December 2009, 22:15:31 »

whats the chance ( if we can get anough names ) of oof getting a discount and us having a lpg weekend  :y

We already get a discount... I'll send you the details later (just about to head off to bed so it won't be tonight as all the details are in the car ::) ::)) but he is very busy and can be a little slow. In fact, I think I'll give him a call about that :-/ :-/

As for a fitting weekend... It has been discussed a few times. Can't really have more than 3 people working on one car, otherwise you'd just get in each others way. It's pretty major work TBH and not really suitable for a mass job. There has been talk of doing a couple of mini-LPG meets where people like Kevin Wood, James and myself (who have done at least one of these conversions) would float about and give general help :y :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 December 2009, 22:15:57 »

When I had mine done - professional install - they wanted 4 days ... 1 for the tank, 1 for the engine, 1 for the "plumbing" as the guy called it, and 1 "just in case things don't go right"..... as it happens they called me on the 4 th day to say it was complete.  I suppose if you had 3 "teams" working on each aspect at once you could do it in a day ... but at times they would get in each others way....

I know when Kevin and others did Maries they got most of it done in 2 days but she still had some bits left to do....

Methinks an LPG meet would have to be at least a 3 day event, and maybe only, say 2 cars ???

:(
« Last Edit: 11 December 2009, 22:16:43 by entwood »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 December 2009, 22:19:21 »

We already get a discount... I'll send you the details later (just about to head off to bed so it won't be tonight as all the details are in the car ::) ::)) but he is very busy and can be a little slow. In fact, I think I'll give him a call about that :-/ :-/

As for a fitting weekend... It has been discussed a few times. Can't really have more than 3 people working on one car, otherwise you'd just get in each others way. It's pretty major work TBH and not really suitable for a mass job. There has been talk of doing a couple of mini-LPG meets where people like Kevin Wood, James and myself (who have done at least one of these conversions) would float about and give general help :y :y :y

He lost my custom due to his speed, not returning calls or sending order details as requested. Felt like he did not want my money, if it was not for glowing stories for OOF, i would have given up much earlier.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 December 2009, 22:26:08 »

thanks for the info lads  :y

if we ever did this, it would have to be a damm site warmer outside too  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 December 2009, 22:49:45 »

Also the amount of times a diesel has kept up with mother tunnies 3.0 is shocking 

So, you've got a 3.0 that's averaging 36MPG and tractors are keeping up? I think I know that the problem is.  ;)

Thick carpet in the driver's footwell?

I am trying to remember how big Marie's spare wheel tank was. The figure of 59 litres rings a bell. Think that was the full volume not the 80% cpacity too. However, that dropped in instead of the spare and the floor went back down without being raised.

I have mixed feelings about an LPG fitting party. :-/ We'd need a building we could get several cars in, enough people to work on them but not too many, and every car would have to turn up with every part needed to fit the conversion because things start to slow down when you are missing a part or have to improvise IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 December 2009, 23:14:09 »

Also the amount of times a diesel has kept up with mother tunnies 3.0 is shocking 

So, you've got a 3.0 that's averaging 36MPG and tractors are keeping up? I think I know that the problem is.  ;)

Thick carpet in the driver's footwell?

I am trying to remember how big Marie's spare wheel tank was. The figure of 59 litres rings a bell. Think that was the full volume not the 80% cpacity too. However, that dropped in instead of the spare and the floor went back down without being raised.

I have mixed feelings about an LPG fitting party. :-/ We'd need a building we could get several cars in, enough people to work on them but not too many, and every car would have to turn up with every part needed to fit the conversion because things start to slow down when you are missing a part or have to improvise IMHO.

Kevin

Yep... My theory is:

Need 2-3 people per car (not including Kevin)
All parts as stated
A couple of "Spare" pre-drilled manifolds with nozzles fitted
At least 1 other "Experienced" person
Lots of tea, bacon, bread and a chef/tea boy!

Certainly not an ideal thing to be doing at a "Party"

All that said, I'm willing to help people out, assuming it fits with my shifts, for the cost of Dinner, bed and breakfast (and a fuel contribution if it's a very long way from home!)

feeutfo

« Reply #34 on: 11 December 2009, 23:17:38 »

re an lpg omega, and say.... with full irmscher body kit with sport star wheels, tow bar, upgraded head unit and sound system, full stainless exhaust system. Top spec omega with all the bits and bobs of your choice, whats the car worth? With all extra cash spent on it? At most, i'm thinking about 500 more than the book price, if that...?

Bikes are the same, uprated suspension and brake  parts, full titanium exhaust system, stage 1 tune or what ever else you want on it. You never get the value of those parts back at sale time, ever.

Its partly why i hate irreverseable mods, like drilling holes in wings bodywork and various engine parts to fit lpg. At sale time you wont get your money back for extras fitted. So take em off, return the car to stock and sell whatever extra goodies you have seperately. Hopefully the car wont look like a lump of swiss cheese for your new buyer.

Re diesel over dual fuel, i dont want to drive a diesel, esp not a small engined diesel, and a big engined diesel thats worth having gets very very expensive to keep on the road at the sort of mileage we are used to on here with the omega.

Cost is not the only considration, or we would all have smart cars, daewoo matiz 's or other comparable roller skate.

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 11 December 2009, 23:21:42 »

i reckon an lpg party is doable. Very much so. :-)

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 December 2009, 23:48:57 »

You could "production line", but it would be a right pain to organise and keep running sweetly. The jobs would be : taking off the manifolds, drilling and tapping, fitting the nozzles and refitting the manifold, fitting the injectors and plumbing, ECU and general wiring, fitting vaporisers, fitting tank, doing tank plumbing and wiring, setting up and tuning. Trouble is there is a lot at the front end and people would get in the way.

The idea of easy stages without disabling the car seems most sensible to me. I lent Tunnie my spare 2.2 inlet manifold, so he can get it drilled, tapped and the nozzles fitted first without disabling the car. Fitting the manifold, injectors and vaporiser and front plumbing is an easy day job, and the car remains usable. Wiring in the ECU and  checking you have communication, you can poss check the vap water flow is getting up to temp, another easy day. Fitting the tank and plumbing, well a weekend taking it easy, but that's it already for final testing.

Remember we are getting to the cold part, and you will be physically limited as to how much you can do, unless you have a heated garage. I feel its better to take it easy, not rush and hence less chance of mistakes. Remember a broken tap in a manifold can take a long time to get out. (hence having a spare manifold makes sense)

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 December 2009, 23:54:10 »

If memory serves  ... the V6 conversions all had a "spare" manifold pre-done, by Kevin I think. The idea being that the removed manifold was then prepared ready for the next conversion.

sexydaz

« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2009, 00:02:32 »

whos this lad and go on huddersfield gettin a mention ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 December 2009, 00:12:15 »

My son lived /worked in Huddersfield ... he was manager of Camel in John William Street for the last couple of years ... now in Auckland, New Zealand, which is a tad far to take the Omega for a weekend !!  :)

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 December 2009, 00:16:54 »

Yes makes sense. One thing about a party is those that have done it can share the experience with others. As I had no experience of this, plus had never seen a converted one in the flesh, I was a bit worried initially, hence moving a step at a time, so I could back track if anything went wrong.

If "production line" ing it, we need someone with project management experience, who can plan it all and do a critical path analysis etc, and stand with the stopwatch and clipboard, .......

At least we would have someone to blame if it went wrong !.

What might be useful would be a collection of photos, a "how to" so people who can't get to a central place have the benefit of other's experience, and mistakes. We could also work out a "recommended place" to fit tanks and pipe runs, so there would be some experienced people checking things. I ran my pipe next to the suspension donut, sleeved, cause it got it away from the crowded petrol pipe area next to the exhaust . Is this OK ?. It would be handy to have someone elses opinion on this.

If we got a good place to drill and tap manifolds, this could be organised, as its only about £8 to send  up to 30kg with DHL, and would avoid one person getting landed with all the work.    

I wouldn't mind helping out at a mass install, can take lots of photos, videos etc.

Ken

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 December 2009, 07:31:33 »

Yes makes sense. One thing about a party is those that have done it can share the experience with others. As I had no experience of this, plus had never seen a converted one in the flesh, I was a bit worried initially, hence moving a step at a time, so I could back track if anything went wrong.

If "production line" ing it, we need someone with project management experience, who can plan it all and do a critical path analysis etc, and stand with the stopwatch and clipboard, .......

What might be useful would be a collection of photos, a "how to" so people who can't get to a central place have the benefit of other's experience, and mistakes. We could also work out a "recommended place" to fit tanks and pipe runs, so there would be some experienced people checking things. I ran my pipe next to the suspension donut, sleeved, cause it got it away from the crowded petrol pipe area next to the exhaust . Is this OK ?. It would be handy to have someone elses opinion on this.

If we got a good place to drill and tap manifolds, this could be organised, as its only about £8 to send  up to 30kg with DHL, and would avoid one person getting landed with all the work.    

I wouldn't mind helping out at a mass install, can take lots of photos, videos etc.

Ken

that will be me then  :y
according to the missus, i'm always standing around telling people what to do and its always my fault when something goes wrong  :'( :'( :D :D :D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 December 2009, 08:04:51 »

If memory serves  ... the V6 conversions all had a "spare" manifold pre-done, by Kevin I think. The idea being that the removed manifold was then prepared ready for the next conversion.

Yep... I bought a spare manifold, which Kevin very kindly fitted the nozzles to for me, so it was a straight swap. Kevin now has the spare manifold :y :y

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 12 December 2009, 09:27:55 »

Ken

that will be me then  :y
according to the missus, i'm always standing around telling people what to do and its always my fault when something goes wrong  :'( :'( :D :D :D

If oof manage to get the right man in that position it will be the first time in my and most peoples careers. :-) So as said, very doable.

The first time you do anything, be it lpg install, fitting wishbones, pressing a ford brake pedal, or any other job, your learning, obviously, and next time will be easier/quicker/better by far. Some very quick learners on here.

Suspect people will be very suprised how quickly the job can can be completed at the end of the day(s?)

However it may be sensible to concentrate on the most involved aspects leaving the simpler tasks to be completed by the owner at a later date.

Completeing the front end to the point the car is driveable again is obviously a basic requirement, then all else will be a bonus from there on, or fairly easy to complete later :-) 

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 December 2009, 10:22:30 »

hopefully (thanks to Kevin) i should have the spare injector manifold (kindly supplied by KenT) ready for fitting by end of the year / early 2010.

I have been doing up my garage recently as lighting in there is shite, painted the walls white and having some decent strip lights mounted which should make it much better to work on at night.

Trouble with my garage is i can only fit 2 cars in at a time (maybe thats enough?).... although there is space for another 3 on the drive.

We held the a cambelt party at mine & TheBoys last year, it worked ok had 2 in at a time in my garage having the belts done.

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 12 December 2009, 12:41:02 »

So is it sounds like a good idea to have a spare 2.2 manifold, im definately doing mine in the new year (spring probably). Where do i get a spare manifold and how do i know its a good one?

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12 December 2009, 17:13:28 »

Use mine. Once Tunnie has fitted the manifold with injectors, his is free and can go to the next person who needs it. As long as I get one back at the end, that's OK (provided the breathers are done !).

Ken

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 December 2009, 10:30:36 »

Use mine. Once Tunnie has fitted the manifold with injectors, his is free and can go to the next person who needs it. As long as I get one back at the end, that's OK (provided the breathers are done !).

Ken

Exactly the theory I've worked on :y :y :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 December 2009, 11:34:47 »

Kevin has very kindly offered to fit the injectors the current spare manifold for my LPG conversion. I hope to convert mine soon, it depends on how busy James is. Annoying i am due to work weekends most of Jan, which is bad for LPG converting, but good for me as weekends is easy work  8-)

Garage should be better for lighting too, James can you do mid-weeks early Jan?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 December 2009, 11:48:59 »

Kevin has very kindly offered to fit the injectors the current spare manifold for my LPG conversion. I hope to convert mine soon, it depends on how busy James is. Annoying i am due to work weekends most of Jan, which is bad for LPG converting, but good for me as weekends is easy work  8-)

If James can't, I may be able to :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 December 2009, 11:49:52 »

If James can't, I may be able to :y

Cheers, a plan is formulating  :)  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.