Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: clit Head Gasket Failure  (Read 1570 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
clit Head Gasket Failure
« on: 25 July 2012, 21:36:19 »

I will aplogize first guys but this is some info on a 1999 Renault clit 1.4 8v E7J engine owned by my eldest daughter.

Got call from her when she arrived at work to say car had stopped and smoke was coming out from under bonnet.Now at present I am recovering from having an operation on my stomach so any form of mechanics is a total no go for some weeks,so I suggested she called the RAC and got recovered home.With car back neighbour has removed all 4 plugs and they are contaminated with coolant alos on turning the engine when removed jets of water are forced out,concluding the HG has gone.

Never working on the engine of this car I have suggested she gets a price from local garage for HG replacement as despite cars age it is often better to repair what you have than go out buying more trouble,as we all know only too well.

Aside from the obvious HG it would be nice to think we could get away without much else in parts as camblet/water pump were done last year some 8k ago.Would that be a fair assumption as unsure if that engine required new head bolts ?

What would be a realistic labour time and cost for HG replacement again assuming no head skimming etc was required.??

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: clit Head Gasket Failure
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2012, 22:23:29 »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2012, 22:29:31 »

So Head bolts are stretch type so would need to be replaced along with HG .?

Expected circa £50 for skimming although again this is possibly not needed but wont really know until head removed.

I was expecting maximum 4 hours though in labour as only 8 valve and wasn,t planning on any valve work either

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2012, 22:42:18 »

So Head bolts are stretch type so would need to be replaced along with HG .?

Expected circa £50 for skimming although again this is possibly not needed but wont really know until head removed.

I was expecting maximum 4 hours though in labour as only 8 valve and wasn,t planning on any valve work either
they dont need to be strech type to snap when thight them back is really worth take risk for 15£
I done all this before when was replace HG and customer was say reuse old bolts , then one of them snap , need take head off again  ::)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.