Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: aftermarket double-din fitting  (Read 1813 times)

PLANETNZ

• Christchurch New Zealand
    • 2000 CD 2.5 x25xe 80000km
    • View Profile
aftermarket double-din fitting
« on: 13 July 2012, 09:27:13 »

Im a bit over the standard unit fitted in my CD and im looking at a new double din unit that has a touch screen, TV, dvd,gps etc but worried about if the bloody thing will actually fit! has anyone fitted an aftermarket unit, what in behind the old one that could get in the way??  Cheers

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: aftermarket double-din fitting
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2012, 11:06:30 »

Its  a really tight fit whatever you decide to put in there, and there is little or no room behind the stereo for cables etc. I know that you guys down there are flooded with Asian imports, and I would avoid these as they are not only slightly deeper than standard, but have more wires at the rear than you actually need.

Look towards Clarion or Addzest, as many of the wires are all on seperate sockets, so the ones you don`t need you can simply unplug to give yourself a bit more room.

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2012, 16:45:44 »

Its  a really tight fit whatever you decide to put in there...

Look towards Clarion or Addzest, as many of the wires are all on seperate sockets, so the ones you don`t need you can simply unplug to give yourself a bit more room.

:y

I can vouch for this - mine is a Clarion and is a tight, tight fit. Creative routing of the wires is the key :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2012, 10:58:04 »

I'd say the Omega's stereo position is too low to be anything other than distracting running GPS/DVD/TV
Grumpy old man

PLANETNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2012, 21:38:42 »

yea it is a bit although this radio has a bit of a trick where the main screen un-clips and is used as an android tablet and my mirror has a built in lcd screen. with all the crap i have to carry and do in my car im trying to clean things up a bit!.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2012, 22:00:08 »

I'd say the Omega's stereo position is too low to be anything other than distracting running GPS/DVD/TV

The low set position absolutely discourages watching tv/dvds on the move :y

Try glancing at your hu for 10 seconds whilst driving on the motorway... If you manage it without the slightest sense of terror you probably shouldn't be driving :-\

Istr therefore, that it makes for a rubbish sat nav location, the lower corner of the windscreen being a much better choice regardless of what Nanny vosa thinks :y

PLANETNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2012, 08:18:17 »

where did i say i was going to be watching it on the move!?? I work alot out of my car and having an inbuilt computer that also has other functions including that the screen is actually a tablet that can be removed and used throughout the car.   I only asked for advice on how much room was availble to fit......

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2012, 12:10:59 »

I had a cracklemaster one fitted in my Diesel and it was brilliant considering it was only £200, it sounded as good as the 2006 and the Sat Nav was better than my Tomtom

Retired

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2012, 13:07:46 »

where did i say i was going to be watching it on the move!?? I work alot out of my car and having an inbuilt computer that also has other functions including that the screen is actually a tablet that can be removed and used throughout the car.   I only asked for advice on how much room was availble to fit......
I posted in reply to TBs observation without having read your subsequent post :-[

You may gain an extra centimeter by removing the back panel of the housing, but don't bank on it :y

PLANETNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2012, 08:56:41 »

"Pete"mate that looks brilliant!  my car is a Jap import and only has the poverty pack origional installed. the unit im going to have a go a fitting looks the same as yours with all the goodies, many thanks for the pic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.