Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bumper Paint  (Read 2257 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Bumper Paint
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2013, 18:58:27 »

I've done a couple of bumpers with rattle cans (too much trouble, or too lazy, to get spray gear out), need to flat, spray with primer (use correct primer for plastic bumpers for good adhesion), lightly flat, then rattle can it (I used 2 cans roughly per bumper).  Got my cans from local motor factors (in Rushden), who colour match and mix up the cans (always had goodish match this way).  Spray clear lacquer while colour coat still "soft" to minimise risk of delamination :y 
HTH

Sound about right  ;) Ive never been sure on this but do you flatten the paint before applying lacquer ?? Im thinking it may give a better shine  :-\ :-\

your car color is silver which is very hard to match.. besides plastic surfaces have different electrostatic loads then metal surfaces so
whatever you do, the final color will be a different shade even with a matching paint.. :-\

so first try on another wide surface imo..  if you ask my opinion, first apply 4 tiny layers on the bumper and close the surface.. let it dry .. next day sand 1200-1500 (old) lightly .. and finally apply 2 layers paint 3 layers laquer  ..

ps: keep a tweezer handy and if any insect stick to paint (while painting) take it with a tweezer (not by finger  ;D )  than spray the area few times , it will heal itself :y   but during dry up time dont touch anything
« Last Edit: 16 May 2013, 19:01:58 by cem »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2013, 19:03:18 »

if you sand the old paint including old primer, you wil definitely need plastic primer first

omega3000

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2013, 23:15:18 »

if you sand the old paint including old primer, you wil definitely need plastic primer first

Thanks cem , waiting for delivery of the bumper so wont know till i see it ... will use primer for sure and
tweezers for

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2013, 23:21:21 »

Got to spray the front bumper on the Omega ideally but not looking forward but its OK so might leave it  ;D

Good luck with it though buddy and upload some progress pic's :y :y

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2013, 23:22:28 »

Thanks cem , waiting for delivery of the bumper so wont know till i see it ... will use primer for sure and
tweezers for
  ;D ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2013, 23:22:41 »

tweezers for

;D ;D ;D :y

omega3000

« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2013, 23:27:52 »

Got to spray the front bumper on the Omega ideally but not looking forward but its OK so might leave it  ;D

Good luck with it though buddy and upload some progress pic's :y :y

Yes im going to take some pictures of before during and after , hope the weather picks up soon as ive already put the bbq away till next year  :-[ Quite looking forward to getting it sorted , ive done fibre glassing before and making up strengthening plates which this will need so quite a bit of prep work  :)

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2013, 14:42:52 »

have you thought about spraying the botom of the bumper  with stoneguard to stop stone chips  would be worth it :y :y :y :y :y
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

omega3000

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2013, 14:46:24 »

have you thought about spraying the botom of the bumper  with stoneguard to stop stone chips  would be worth it :y :y :y :y :y

No i never thought of that kev , good idea  :y

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2013, 15:00:24 »

Thats the one cem , can get it in different colours  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.