Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible rear crankshaft oil seal leaking  (Read 2420 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Possible rear crankshaft oil seal leaking
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2013, 09:14:32 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90542.0
Excessive crankcase pressure will cause an insignificant weep to become a leak. Chances are that the major oil loss is from the cam covers but there could also be oil escaping from the crank seal due to the pressure.

If it was my car I would have the inlet manifolds off to clean the breathers and to check that there is no leak from the oil cooler pipes.

If the cam covers are leaking (again) then they will probably carry on leaking (even with clean breathers) because once the seal is broken the oil seems to wick its way through.

The crankseal will probably stop leaking once the breathers are clean. High mileage motors always seem to have a trace of oil on the bottom of the bellhousing, I have changed crankseals in the past without any appreciable benefit so I wouldn't bother now unless I was absolutely certain it was leaking.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2013, 13:06:26 »

A free check is to make sure the half moons are seated correctly, should be able to feel a lip of rubber outside the heads where they sit :y

No lip=not fitted correctly.

Access is a bit tight, but you should be able to touch all four of them without dismantling anything. Very easy to not fit them correctly, and the engine will pour oil out of them at anything much over idle :'(

Big_Al

« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2013, 13:43:09 »

+1  As recommended earlier by someone  . .   get Guffer to do it for you, he's in your neck of the woods   . . .full breather clean & 

genuine gaskets .  it may look like the cam covers are not leaking . . .bet they are though . The outer edges(exhaust sides ) & plug

wells may be dry but if you were to remove the plenum & inlet manifold i bet the centre of the "V"  is swimming in oil ::) ::)  As was

my old MFL 2.5 elite.

For some reason even very good mechanics who don't have much experience with V6 omegas & this problem , seem to mess this

job up constantly :( :(

Get someone from on here who knows the pitfalls to do the job for you  . . it will pay in the end .

HTH    Al  :y

« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2013, 10:44:43 »

Hi guys thanks again for your replys Im taking note but before I came online Id just rang garage for a update on proceedings and was informed they had been looking into the possiblity of a updated version of the breather system which instantly gave me a little hope but only to be shot down in flames when told they dont do a breather update for the 2.5 V6 CDX petrol.
But they are still on the case.
I did wonder myself if its worth just still mithodicly cleaning the breathers out with a wire coathanger like someone suggested then trying again but its another risk that i hate the thought of , the cam covers blowing again .
Or alternatively replacing the breather box etc with a new one then redo cam covers again and  start afresh (providing it is diffinatly the breathers still being blocked)
Which I have tened to think  together with your replys that still was the culprit all along .
How much is a brether box anyway guys.

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 05 June 2013, 10:57:22 »

Is the car still at the garage :-\. Where in Hampshire are you (roughly) heading home from New Forest shortly if any use :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2013, 12:42:04 »

The brother box on the back of bank 1 is very primitive. There's nothing special in there. If its blocked they just need to force a suitable blunt thin object through the pin hole and that's job done. Blowing through the pipes to it will show if its clear. If blocked remove the pipes and clear the blockage. Simples.

That applies to the plenum and the whole breather system btw.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2013, 15:29:36 »

i'd be worried by the mechanics reluctance to check the work he's done and saying ''it cant be that as I did them the other day''  ::). sounds like leaking half moons to me
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2013, 15:37:13 »

Breather update? ???

That's a new one on me. You really need to check the breathers are clear, and that the gaskets are seated properly around the half-moons, as said.

If either of these are unsatisfactory, then the mechanic has done a poor job. If he's left the breathers blocked, then the gaskets will have failed again. If the gaskets are not seated on the half-moons, he's not fitted them properly. It's as simple as that. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2013, 18:53:23 »

Breather update? ???

That's a new one on me. You really need to check the breathers are clear, and that the gaskets are seated properly around the half-moons, as said.

If either of these are unsatisfactory, then the mechanic has done a poor job. If he's left the breathers blocked, then the gaskets will have failed again. If the gaskets are not seated on the half-moons, he's not fitted them properly. It's as simple as that. :-\
See above-that is your problem :y :y not crank seals :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.